PRS Special Semi-Hollow a little too soft in the bass...

Krausewitz

Hey!

I recently acquired a SSH. Great guitar, but I'm kind of unhappy with the bass response (plugged in, and unplugged). I usually prefer a strong, piano-like response on the wound strings, and the SSH has this really mushy response (especially when walking up the low E to build up to a big A, for example). Is this just due to the floating bridge? Would blocking the bridge help (something I'm considering anyway)?

Just a couple of uneducated guesses as I have never heard or played one.

Did you buy it used? I wonder if 9-42 gauge strings were put on instead of 10-46 or if the strings just need to be changed.
Is the action super low, or the pickup height too high? Maybe that is affecting the tone slightly.
I just bought my first PRS ( SE HBII Piezo).
I have noticed it definitely is voiced differently than other humbucker guitars I have. Definitely less bass and more mids and treble with a lot more clarity. I have to totally adjust the amp EQ compared to my other Humbucker guitars by turning down the treble and mids and turning up the bass.
They look like awesome guitars, both visually and spec wise. I hope it is something easy you can work out.

Last edited:
Yes, used. Got a great deal. 2023, £2,500 (over £1,000 off new/on sale).

I haven't changed strings yet from the previous owner, but they otherwise sound new (nice, bright, and detailed on the treble strings). Pickups adjusted well (I like mine low) and the action is medium (I raised it a fair bit...I like somewhat higher action).

I'll investigate more in the weeks to come and report back. The dull thud low E would be disappointing when the rest of the guitar is so snappy and lively.

I haven't changed strings yet from the previous owner, but they otherwise sound new (nice, bright, and detailed on the treble strings). Pickups adjusted well (I like mine low) and the action is medium (I raised it a fair bit...I like somewhat higher action).

I'll investigate more in the weeks to come and report back. The dull thud low E would be disappointing when the rest of the guitar is so snappy and lively.
New strings might heal that.
10s or 9.5s.

I would definitely change the strings to see if that helps. I used to use Ernie Ball Slinky strings years ago. I had to change them often because the low E string would lost it's snap. If it is only the low E and possibly the A string that you are not liking the sound of, it could easily be the strings. You will also hear more of the voice of the guitar once you have a familiar set of strings on it.

If it is still not as snappy as you like, it could be the semi-hollow body that you don't like. I had a Les Paul that was chambered. The first time I played it in the shop I really liked how the notes bloomed and how the guitar sounded compared to the one I had at that time. It was lighter and just had a smoothness to the note bloom that was pleasant to me. It was the chambering that made it this way. I ended up selling this LP because I was gravitating to other guitars but it wouldn't have made me mad to have to keep it. It was just different from my other guitars.

Hey!

I recently acquired a SSH. Great guitar, but I'm kind of unhappy with the bass response (plugged in, and unplugged). I usually prefer a strong, piano-like response on the wound strings, and the SSH has this really mushy response (especially when walking up the low E to build up to a big A, for example). Is this just due to the floating bridge? Would blocking the bridge help (something I'm considering anyway)?

Is this your first semihollow guitar? I wonder if it’s just the inherent quality of the tone of a semihollow vs a solidbody that you’re hearing. To my ears, semihollow guitars have a looser, more open-sounding low end as compared to the tighter-sounding low end of a solidbody.

When I had my S2 Semi Hollow Custom 22, I definitely noticed a different low end response on it compared to my solid body guitars. The lows are warmer and less snappy for sure. Having said that, fresh strings can give a little more snap for sure.

The bass response of the SSH is different, definitely less tight and piano-like than a solid body guitar.

Partly, it's due to the fact that enough wood mass is removed to affect the bass response, but the resonating cavity isn't as large as the cavities on a 335 or full hollow body guitar, so the bass doesn't get accentuated (similar to a small bodied acoustic vs a dreadnaught).

I doubt it's got very much to do with the trem. It's just the nature of the beast. Heavier strings might help.

The good news is that's what makes the guitar worth owning - it's different!

Hey!

I had a Fender strat that was soft and spongy in the low end. Felt and sounded wimpy, no punch or tightness. Pickups couldn't fix it so I sold it. Try various pickups first!

Interesting. I will run my SSH straight in my amps with tone all at noon and report back soon. I will try and compare with the DGT for a reference.

Obviously the pole pieces are individually adjustable for a reason. Which isn’t to say that is a fix in this case, but I’d look at very minor tweaks with that variable before I go pulling pickups out, etc.

The other cheap place to tweak the recipe is strings. Not just new strings of your choice, but depending on what you are used to using, a different type of string might also help, if you love all other aspects of the guitar.

It always interests me how many people are brand-loyal and even specific set-loyal to strings. I get it that if we find something we like, we want more of “that”. But at the same time, If you like pure nickels on your solidbodies, you might try a nickel wrap on the semihollow to make up for that missing extra crispier zing on the lower end. Assuming one brand/set of strings is the be all end all for every guitar is short changing yourself from some fairly cheap versions of a single instrument.

But as Les says, I would 100% suspect there is at least some portion of this being the nature of the design.

I look for piano like from stoptail solidbodies with more hifi pickups. The solid rosewood neck guitars excel at that in my experience. To some degree, the more vintage sounding pickuo options can work too if they are lower wind.

But if you are looking for strong note fundamental for that authoritative sound and bloom, you may not find it.

When you add in an trem with springs, and you get more sympathetic ringing n a resonant guitar to smudge the note. Add in a large open cavity and you get a different variation on that smudging of the note. Put them together and that’s it’s own character.

So I’d look at strings, and I’d look at the PU setup specifically. If you raise the poles and it gets boomier or brasher but still mush/mud, after those have been changed, you may find it’s not the right model for you after all.

We’ve all been there to one degree or another, and nothing replaces personal
Experience. But I’m not sure I’d start yanking pickups and rewiring and all that, if the strings and PU adjustments aren’t at least making things more promising.

Back