NGD. 2020 wood library special semi hollow

Noisykoel

Hi everyone ! New member here. I just bought a 2020 wood library special semi hollow (limited edition I suppose?). This was second hand, and not through a dealer so I don’t have too much information about it.

This is my first PRS after a lifetime of only playing Les Pauls, 335s and strats. Frankly I’ve always been hesitant about PRS because I prefer plainer finishes. So this came up for sale and I thought I could get along with it. Yes it’s a very pretty quilt top but still understated, it doesn’t scream “look at me”!

First impressions:

After setting it up to my preferences, i can say it plays better than anything I own. Maybe I’ve got used to the quirks of F and G reissues, but I was surprised that the strings don’t ping in the nut while tuning, and that it stays in tune even after heavy bending and trem abuse. Also, I’ve set up the action lower than any of my other non-PRS guitars and I can still bend the high E anywhere on the neck without fretting out or buzz. Yeah I’m about 20 years late to this party.

I love how the bridge is designed and how it feels on my palm- it feels like a 21st century bridge.

As a new-to- PRS player I took quite a while to get to grips with how it sounds. The pickups are crystal clear and sound more hi-fi than anything I’ve played. I don’t feel so much of the semi hollow airiness of a 335, and the bridge pickup is a little thinner and more civilised than my Les Paul. Makes sense though, as the SSH is much slimmer and lighter.

The 2 and 4 positions were a very nice surprise. I didn’t think you could do that sort of thing with tapped humbuckers, and they sound lovely when clean. Probably my favourite positions.

I think I’d still pick up a Les Paul or 335 if I want that Les Paul or a honky 335 sound, but the SSH feels like it’s own thing.

Finally, the build quality is just flawless, and I can’t believe this just rolled off the normal production line. Super impressed by PRS quality control.

To sum up, I’m a new convert and it’s probably a matter of time before I trade my strat for a silver sky.

This is my post #3 so let’s see if I have rights to put up pictures after this.

And here are some pics, let’s see if this works:

NLzfLzt.jpg

TjnEYRI.jpg

HGwWQrx.jpg

Ok so i have questions!

I was told by the seller that the finish is satin copperhead, and that it has an ebony fretboard.

I’m not sure if this is right though. Copperhead looks a lot darker to me, while this SSH looks almost like a sandy, tinted natural finish. My seller’s specs were from the dealer, and I suppose dealers sometimes get their specs mixed up.

I emailed PRS customer service, and they were very helpful ( thanks Ryan).

PRS says the fretboard is African Blackwood, not ebony. Doesn’t matter as it sounds and feels great.

PRS says they don’t have records of the exact color name of this guitar though - I understand WL runs don’t have the same level of MODCAT details.

So does anyone have any idea what color this is? Grateful for your views!

What he said - looks like Honey. Beautiful guitar and I prefer African Blackwood to Ebony, though both are quite nice.

What makes you prefer African Blackwood to Ebony? I’ve never played a guitar with an African Blackwood board.

Congrats. That is a stellar guitar. Gorgeous and incredibly versatile. I also have killer Gibsons and other makers but typically grab my SSH. You can’t beat it for the weight, playability, and versatility of tones. Welcome to the forum and let us know when you get your next one! Haha

That is gorgeous and a hell of a first PRS! The finish may be a custom color which PRS doesn’t have names for, I love the finish on it though no matter the name. Also African Blackwood is a great fretboard wood and one of my personal favorites.

There should be a MODCAT number on the case or hang tag, it looks something like this:

5MM2F-HVIB2_CC_NS-SK

Punch that into a MODCAT decoder:

https://dchandlerp.github.io/ModCatDecoder/

and it will tell you a lot about the guitar material and finish. I’m not sure what it does with Wood Library versions, but it’s worth a try.

What makes you prefer African Blackwood to Ebony? I’ve never played a guitar with an African Blackwood board.
Feels smooth like Ebony, but a little warmer like Rosewood. Brazilian RW is my favorite.

Thanks everyone! I’m glad the SSH is now part of the core line, its such a fun guitar with so many options.

The color is a mystery but it does look quite like honey. And yes, there isn’t a modcat code on the case, they don’t seem to have those for wood library runs.

Back