My first PRS (what would you choose)

What other guitars do you play? Are you looking to fill a hole or just own a PRS?

My 513 is the most versatile (non-piezo) guitar I own. The 509 gets you most of the way there. The Cu is classic (like Serg, I have never owned a straight Cu, and probably won't). I love Singlecuts, so the best 594 is a solid recommendation.

It really comes down to what you desire or need to cover. If it was my only guitar, knowing what I know now and my tastes, I'd get an used Rosewood-necked 513. Of the three you flagged, I'd get the 509, but feel it's a compromise compared to the 513.

Cheers guys,

Problem is that i have no way of testing any PRS, except for maybe Silver sky,
without travelling abroad. Thought that might be a nice vacation reason .

I’ve been drooling over the 35th anniversary model, but the versatility of the 509 intrigues me.

I really can't tell you what you should buy. Failing the opportunity to actually go out and try before you buy, the next best is to take a chance on one from a reputable seller who will accept a return if its not quite the guitar for you - obviously would need to return within the window and in the condition it arrived in but its the 'next' best option.

As I said, both the 509 and Cu24 are different guitars and, as the name implies, you get 1 extra option over a Cu24. That being said, they are still different options on both and have a different tonal centre to begin with. The only 'similar' options is the bridge or neck selection and the fact that both can be a full humbucker or a Split coil. The rest are all different because the Cu24 gives you 4 options with 'both' humbuckers together (HH, HS, SH and SS), the 509 doesn't allow for that so you have BM, M, MN (B- Bridge, M - middle, N-Neck). The neck sounds different too because the Custom24 Neck Pick up is closer to the Bridge - let alone the difference in Pick-ups themselves and of course you get 24 frets with the Cu24 too.

The only similarity is that they are both PRS guitars and that they both look similar in pictures - apart from the obvious pickups. It really is like trying to decide whether you should buy a JEM or a Les Paul - so very different in what they offer musically. I don't know anything about you, what your history of guitars has been or where you want to go musically either so I couldn't even begin to point you towards maybe considering one over the other to start with.

I would say that if you are more of a Strat/super strat player, maybe the 509 will be 'closer' to what you may prefer and the Cu24 is more towards the LP spectrum. Before ANYONE says anything, the Cu24 though is a different thing from a LP and the neck position does give it its own unique sound - but that its more a double humbucker guitar like a LP - with more options and a trem. Its closer to the LP scale length too. If you ever want to change Pick-ups, the Cu24 will offer that too - so that maybe something to consider as well. I don't change pups and buy guitars because I love the way they sound so that doesn't bother me.

I think if I was a covers band guitarist and constantly swapping between a strat and LP, I would go 509 but if I do my own thing and not so concerned about trying to sound like others, I would go Cu24-08. That being said, there is a reason I have both guitars in my toolbox (as well as other PRS's) and that reason is because they are ALL different and offer something I can only get from that guitar. If I had to hammer a screw in or use a Screwdriver to hammer a nail in, I guess I could do it but its better to have both tools to use the right one for the right job...

All I am trying to do is get you to look more at what each instrument is, what it offers and how it may differ from the other so you can try and decide which would be the best tool for you to start with - you can always add the other later....

Thank you all!

Seeing how crazy foreign exchange rates are atm, it would be best to wait anyways.
But at the top of my list are the PRS 509, so when things settle down, i will see if can go somewhere to try one out :)

Cheers!

Given that you are looking at the 509, I'm assuming single coil tones are important to you. Is this correct?

How important is the trem?

I have 4 PRS: a Hollowbody II (5708), a 2408 (8515), a DC 594 (5815LT) and a Vela (Dstyle neck, Starla bridge). I feel like I can make an informed comparison of these four.

The Hollowbody II and the Vela are really their own thing.

The 2408 and the 594 are capable of sounding quite similar (with different tone knob and amp settings) but feel TOTALLY different. As a "default" tone, the 2408 is much more modern sounding (higher gain and more bite from the 8515 pickups, more mid-scooped in tone to my ear) while the 594 is much more vintage (lower gain, easier to clean up by adjusting your string attack, more mid range in the tone).

The 594 has the best single coil tone from a humbucker I've ever heard. It's REALLY good.

If I could only have 1 and I only played with my eyes closed, I'd probably opt for the Vela. It captures the tones I want, it has an amazing single coil neck and very good bridge HB tone. It plays perfectly. The downside........The Starla bridge can get a little raucous sounding with too many irritating high end frequencies to my ear at higher gain settings. It's not a pretty guitar. Part of the PRS appeal is the insane top, and the Vela is plain. But the way it plays!!!

Of my core models, the guitar that covers the most sonic territory is the 594. The new 594 are really special and if I could only get one core PRS that's probably the one I would get.

But none of the guitars I have are really a direct substitute for a 509. I get the impression that the 509 is a jack of all trades (but MAYBE a master of none). But, I don't know because I've never owned one. I've played a few BRIEFLY, but not enough to develop an informed opinion.

The search is FUN, so enjoy the ride!!!

Given that you are looking at the 509, I'm assuming single coil tones are important to you. Is this correct?

I have 4 PRS: a Hollowbody II (5708), a 2408 (8515), a DC 594 (5815LT) and a Vela (Dstyle neck, Starla bridge). I feel like I can make an informed comparison of these four.

The 2408 and the 594 are capable of sounding quite similar (with different tone knob and amp settings) but feel TOTALLY different. As a "default" tone, the 2408 is much more modern sounding (higher gain and more bite from the 8515 pickups, more mid-scooped in tone to my ear) while the 594 is much more vintage (lower gain, easier to clean up by adjusting your string attack, more mid range in the tone).

The 594 has the best single coil tone from a humbucker I've ever heard. It's REALLY good.

If I could only have 1 and I only played with my eyes closed, I'd probably opt for the Vela. It captures the tones I want, it has an amazing single coil neck and very good bridge HB tone. It plays perfectly. The downside........The Starla bridge can get a little raucous sounding with too many irritating high end frequencies to my ear at higher gain settings. It's not a pretty guitar. Part of the PRS appeal is the insane top, and the Vela is plain. But the way it plays!!!

Of my core models, the guitar that covers the most sonic territory is the 594. The new 594 are really special and if I could only get one core PRS that's probably the one I would get.

But none of the guitars I have are really a direct substitute for a 509. I get the impression that the 509 is a jack of all trades (but MAYBE a master of none). But, I don't know because I've never owned one. I've played a few BRIEFLY, but not enough to develop an informed opinion.

Great post

BewitchedLinearIrukandjijellyfish-size_restricted.gif

Thank you all!

Seeing how crazy foreign exchange rates are atm, it would be best to wait anyways.
But at the top of my list are the PRS 509, so when things settle down, i will see if can go somewhere to try one out :)

Cheers!

Most who know me can predict me saying Hollowbody II but that's not on your agenda so I won't confuse your decision with the best instrument PRS makes ....................... :rolleyes: ....:D

... and I've never owned a 24 fret PRS because I don't like the ergonomics or feel of the string tension, I'm already biased there.

So IMHO waiting for a time when you can take that trip and meet them in person, for your hands and ears to make the decision, is my suggestion. If you have the time and patience to hold off, that's what I'd do.

Good luck with it.

The only thing I would say is that the Special Semi Hollow can give the 594 a run for its money in both Single Coil tones and covering a lot of Sonic territory. I prefer the mini-toggle switching over push pulls but you do get the added advantage of having individual tone/volume controls on the 594. You do get a trem bridge too with the Special. Obviously you get the same 8 pick-up selections with the special as you do with the 594 and Cu24-08 and I really do like the 58/15 MT split coil tones. I think if you don't tend to blend the tone/volume control when using both humbuckers - something you can do with the 594 thanks to individual tone/volume controls - the Special maybe covers more ground.

I too would say the 509 is a jack of all trades and master of none. It can't totally replace a double humbucker (like a Les Paul) and a Stratocaster either although it does get close enough to do a good job. I think it could well be the best all rounder, a guitar you could take to a gig and play a wider variety of songs that would 'normally' require a few different guitars for - not to say you couldn't use a 594, Cu24-08 or Special but I think that's more what the 509 was built for.

My cu24 with 5909s is an incredible guitar and I'd NEVER sell it. It was my 3rd prs the one that really got me hooked.

I will also add this. I have an 89 cu24 and it is Incredible in a much different way but the 80s prs stuff is expensive.

Last edited:
...I’ve been drooling over the 35th anniversary model,...

I have a SE Cu24, a S2 Cu24, and I still would like a 35th ann S2 Cu24, or even the right 35th ann Core Cu24. I like the switching options on the 35th. I think a Cu24 in any iteration would be a fine first. The Cu24 is probably the quintessential PRS.

First post and figure I'll tag onto this instead of starting a new post.

I'm looking to get my first PRS. Ideally I want to stay in the $500 range, and I'm looking at the SE24. I haven't played much in awhile but getting several old 8-track reels of my former band digitized and doing some remixing has me starting to pick up the guitar more often.

It seems to me I can get more guitar for the same general $$$ range by going with a used SE24 Custom versus a Standard. From what I've seen so far, Guitar Center appears to have the best selection when it comes to used. They seem to have a good return policy, but is there anything I should really make sure that I look out for (I've bought several used guitars in the past, just not sight unseen)?

Appreciate any insights that you guys may have!

It seems to me I can get more guitar for the same general $$$ range by going with a used SE24 Custom versus a Standard.

Apart from getting a Maple Cap and veneer - so you don't get that flamed maple look - the SE Standard gives you everything that the SE Custom gives you. I don't really know what you mean by getting 'more' guitar by going for the Custom. The Custom looks more like the Core models and the maple cap does brighten the tone a bit - you get more colours available too with the Custom but as far as I know, you get the same hardware and functionality. Generally, the choice seems more Cosmetic - wanting a guitar that looks similar to the core line

It's got a few dings, but it looks like there is a SE22 Custom on Craigslist for a pretty good price that I might have to inquire about. I've pretty much always played on a 22, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Apart from getting a Maple Cap and veneer - so you don't get that flamed maple look - the SE Standard gives you everything that the SE Custom gives you.

Don't know the importance of this (maybe there isn't any), but aren't the standard and custom built in different countries?

I'm sure that PRS monitors the quality, but in general building in a different country to lower costs "can" result in differing levels of quality. I certainly have experience with this in my 30+ years in the electronics industry.

Back