My first PRS is ...

martinman

..an S2 Mira (used).

I picked it up a while back and have been so impressed - it's just an effortless playing experience... I don't feel like i'm fighting with it. Are they all like this? Serious question.

Why does one choose say a custom 22/24 over a McCarty 594? I don't see a difference (say like a strat to a tele). I'm trying to align the PRS product line to what I already know.

Anyway, happy to be part of the forum. I'll be spending alot of time reading.

--mm

Congratulations, and welcome! You're gonna love it

Everyone has their own perspective, but my two cents to answer your question: The CU22 & 24 have tremelos and are 25" scale length, the 594's are fixed two piece bridge and are 24.594" (hence the name 594), and also offer the singlecut. For pickups - 594's usually feature the 58/15 LT pickups, the CU24 has 85/15 pickups. The 58/15 LT is a generally warmer, less aggressive, PAF-style whereas the 85/15 is higher output, brighter, etc. There's also the neck carve - CU24 is Pattern Thin, 594's are Pattern Vintage, which is slightly thicker by comparison.

To simplify, 594's are (in my opinion) like the ultimate Les Paul, the Custom's are the standard-bearer for PRS - their original design, refined over all these years.

Oh, and you're gonna end up wanting at least one of pretty much everything (it happens to all of us), so start saving up now! :cool:

Why does one choose say a custom 22/24 over a McCarty 594? I don't see a difference (say like a strat to a tele).
The 594 has a different scale length, different pickups, a two piece fixed bridge, two volume controls, two tone controls, different tuning machines, etc. All these features add up to a different sound than a CU22 or CU24, more vintage, more like a Les Paul.

In any case, having had one of the Core Miras in 2008 or so, it kind of reminded me of my '65 SG with its mahogany body, etc. The 594 sounds more like a Les Paul. Just as an SG and a Les Paul sound different from one another, the Mira and the 594 sound different.

Whether a CU22 or CU24 is more your style only you can decide.

Soon someone will come along and say, "Get both!" ;)

Are they all like this? Serious question.

Why does one choose say a custom 22/24 over a McCarty 594?
Yes, they are all like that, in the sense that they all play effortlessly and surprisingly well.

One chooses the next PRS based usually on what that model has that the ones they have don't. Different pickups, scale lengths, frets, tone, looks, reputation. Mostly, it's that we just like to acquire more great guitars...

Mine was an S2 Mira as well lol...still have it plus 4 other S2s lol...I believe it was '15 when I bought it and was hooked on PRS...

I was just playing my second purchase a standard 22...since 15 I've amassed 3 along with a couple of velas the original mira and even briefly had a 594 thinline ...I know blasphemous I didn't bond with the thinline lol

Awesome - thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

It dawned on me -- PRS has this unique advantage in that they don't have to live up to previous lore. My S2 Mira is different than anything else i've played - it's definitely apart from both Fender and Gibson. I see all of these comparison online between PRS and brandX - IMO it's not fair to compare -- it stands on it's own.

Imagine that, build a lasting, quality product and see what happens. Well done PRS - i'm already hunting for my next one.... McCarty 594 - or - DGT??

My first and only PRS, a ‘99 McCarty HBII, purchased new in 2000.

IMG-6991.jpg

It’s name is Rose, like my grandmothers (all 3).

Say hi to the boys, Rosie…

Mine was an SE Custom 22 that I never completely bonded with. My second was an S2 Studio followed very shortly later (for me) by a 20 yr old Santana III.

..an S2 Mira (used).

I picked it up a while back and have been so impressed - it's just an effortless playing experience... I don't feel like i'm fighting with it. Are they all like this? Serious question.

Why does one choose say a custom 22/24 over a McCarty 594? I don't see a difference (say like a strat to a tele). I'm trying to align the PRS product line to what I already know.

Anyway, happy to be part of the forum. I'll be spending alot of time reading.

--mm

... and if you have a "significant other" thing going... best get to know where their favorite gift shops are for this PRS addiction you will develop (if it's not already becoming a festering giant culture in your brain....).

Just sayin'..... :rolleyes:o_O:p:cool:

guitars are tools. some hammers are interchangeable, but sometimes you need a framing hammer and other times a tack hammer. my suggestion is that you acquire as many hammers as possible, including duplicates, because you never know when that claw hammer wont work but a ball peen hammer will.

Back