My first PRS (what would you choose)

Bioni

Hello everyone!

Knowing what you know to day, what PRS model would you choose as your first PRS guitar?

I’m strictly a home player and i play just about any genres, but more of melodious lines like caruso.

I’ve been looking at custom 24, custom 24-08 and 509.

The 509 seems to be much less popular then the Custom 24.

I can only afford one Core model (for know), and a second one would probably be some time further down
the line.. So what would you all choose?

I had a clear ideia a few months ago, but now it changes every week. If I was pressured to buy a core right now, I'd buy a Tremonti.

My first PRS was a 513. Many years later, I'd still pick it first. The best all around solid body electric guitar I have ever owned.

After owning a bunch of core PRS guitars, along with one bolt on (Silver Sky), I'd say there isn't a bad choice. Every one has been an excellent example of its type or style.

If you have a chance to play them first, the one that grabs you and refuses to let you leave the store without her is the one that should be your first. That is what happened to me.

If you want to be less emotional and more pragmatic, the Cu24 will be the most versatile, the Singlecut 594 or a Silver Sky will be the most Vintage, all the other models are worthy of testing out. You really need to play them and see which one follows you home.

If you have a chance to play them first, the one that grabs you and refuses to let you leave the store without her is the one that should be your first. That is what happened to me.

If you want to be less emotional and more pragmatic, the Cu24 will be the most versatile, the Singlecut 594 or a Silver Sky will be the most Vintage, all the other models are worthy of testing out. You really need to play them and see which one follows you home.
Ditto !!!

Also consider the 35th anniversary Cu 24 which has the signature switching (3 way toggle switch and two mini switches).
I'd go 35th Anniversary because I like the aesthetics of the 3 way toggle over the blade.
So my vote would go:
1)35th
2)24-08
3)CU24
I can't qualify where the 509 fits in cause I haven't played one.

I guess I would disagree with the general consensus. The first PRS I bought was a used 509 from guitar center. It was by far a great move. I personally have always liked the look and feel of most PRSi, but when it came to Cu24 I’m not a fan of their sound, (too flat). I fell in love with the character and style of the 509, enjoying how much it could do while still flowering harmonically. Obviously you should play a couple of each model, to figure out what you like, but don’t feel like you have to own the flagship Cu24, when PRS offers so many other models that are just as great.

Hello everyone!

Knowing what you know to day, what PRS model would you choose as your first PRS guitar?

I’m strictly a home player and i play just about any genres, but more of melodious lines like caruso.

I’ve been looking at custom 24, custom 24-08 and 509.

The 509 seems to be much less popular then the Custom 24.

I can only afford one Core model (for know), and a second one would probably be some time further down
the line.. So what would you all choose?

For me, my first was a 594 because I had been a Les Paul player for years and it was the most 'familiar' guitar and made the most sense to spend that much money on something that I was most comfortable with.

Looking at the 3 guitars you mention, the Cu24 and Cu24-08 are very similar instruments and can come with the Pattern or Pattern thin neck. I would concentrate on trying each neck more than worrying about whether you should look for the 24 or 24-08. Once you know whether or not you prefer the Pattern or Pattern Thin neck, then maybe see what's available in your preferred neck carve. Really it comes down to whether or not you particularly want the extra switching options or happy with the 5 standard options that PRS have offered for 35years.

The 509 is a very different guitar. For a start, it has a longer scale and 22 frets but its more a super-strat than a double humbucker guitar. Its not quite as extreme as trying to decide whether you should buy an Ibanez JEM or Les Paul but its almost as bad. I have both a 509 and Cu24 (not 24-08) and they are different instruments and each offers something I cannot get from the other - they are different tools in my toolbox....

There is absolutely NO way I would tell you which guitar you should buy. You really need to try out a few, get a feel for what it is you want, what feels 'right' to you and decide which guitar is worth spending that much money on. You may discover that a Custom 22, a DGT or a Tremonti suits you better and as soon as you pick it up, plug it in and play, the sound and feel is just right or maybe you find a fixed bridge guitar like a 594, Pauls or McCarty is the guitar you can't imagine walking out of the shop without it.

Cheers guys,

Problem is that i have no way of testing any PRS, except for maybe Silver sky,
without travelling abroad. Thought that might be a nice vacation reason .

I’ve been drooling over the 35th anniversary model, but the versatility of the 509 intrigues me.

24-08.
It's still a Cu24, just with a few new bells and whistles, and will still give you all of the versatility and great tones that make that guitar so popular.

Cheers guys,

Problem is that i have no way of testing any PRS, except for maybe Silver sky,
without travelling abroad. Thought that might be a nice vacation reason .

I’ve been drooling over the 35th anniversary model, but the versatility of the 509 intrigues me.

If this is the case, if vacation is too far off in the future, the only thing I can suggest is to try to research YouTube videos that will provide you with an approximation of what each guitar will sound like through various amps. Therein exists the problem: the videos will likely not use the same amp with each guitar.

Regards neck profile and weight, you won't be able to examine this yourself until you settle on what sounds good and have a guitar delivered to you. You'd need to rely on the video presenter's evaluation of each guitar.

That being said, I know what my ears prefer regards humbuckers vs. single-coils, trem vs. stop tail, doublecut vs, single cut, and some knowledge of pickups and body/neck/fretboard woods.

With that, it's possible for me to expect one guitar with certain parameters to sound the way I'd think it might.

If perhaps you've owned other guitar makes/models with certain parameters, I'd use that as a basis for research and what you'd expect to hear from a given PRS model.

I think it much depends on what you like the looks and sound of. I came from LP world. So the toggle appeals to me most. I like mini switches to tap because it’s most convenient to me for my playing style. The blade may be more preferable for fans of Fender? I owned 1 strat and mostly hated it when I played. So anything with a blade switch, loses a point with me because I’m mental. :D
I love some Jeff Beck or Stevie playing one, but it’s just not me. I’ve got nothing against the 509. Like I said, never played one. You gotta really be sure the pickups work for you cause there ain’t no changin’ em.

I think it much depends on what you like the looks and sound of. I came from LP world. So the toggle appeals to me most. I like mini switches to tap because it’s most convenient to me for my playing style. The blade may be more preferable for fans of Fender? I owned 1 strat and mostly hated it when I played. I love some Jeff Beck or Stevie playing one, but it’s just not me.

Back