My band rejected my request to move from acoustic to electric guitar

I would worship at church and rock out somewhere else. Other option: find another church where you are appreciated and your musical contribution is fulfilling.

To be fair, I barely have the talent to make noises in my own music room and will never play out.

Church's are some of the worst clicks there is for a musician. I once wanted to try out for our local big church to be on the worship team and was told, with a straight face, that I wasnt good enough without even an audition lol. The next weekend the pastors son in law, daughter AND grandchildren are up there. 40+ years of playing/touring/recording/teaching experience but the 15 yo child relative was "better" and got the gig. LMAO. Such con artists these people are.

Last edited:
I remember a time when the only music in church was the choir or congregation hymns. I wanted to sing so I joined the choir. Then I quit because it was too constrained and lifeless. Of course that was the 60's and you just didn't step outside the box in a regulated closed environment of a stuffy dictatorship. When I got into the discussion over it with my parents I left the church entirely as I was an outrageous upstart and had no respect for authority. And they were right, I detested "their" version of authority.
I'm still a bit of a non-conformist that way. But I do appreciate the use of instruments and a more musically oriented way of celebrating a belief in song.

It is a result of the sound engineer having his way. He said he's the chef and will pick and choose from the best to produce what he considers to be his preferred sound. He has reiterated that the acoustic guitar has no place just like all the modern bands. Mind boggling.
Maybe for Bethel.. but he needs to expand the bands he listens to.
I site Josh Baldwin, We The Kingdom and Zack Williams who feature acoustic guitars in their mix.
Not sure I would stay at a church like that.

He keeps on saying that the sound he strives for doesn't include an acoustic guitar. He's so weird.

Speaking of auditions, they made me go to someone's basement and do an audition. This is a mega church but they made me drive 4 hours just to play one song. Then they didn't even bother updating me about the result. When I did pressed them, the dude who heard me play called me annd said I played drums with this band and that band, and I saw guitarists way better you. Yikes. I should have run back then. Then the church told me not to talk about the audition to anyone.
Ok... I just saw this. I audition vocals and musicians for a church. I would never treat you the way this is going down.
Run, don't walk away from this church.

your Church doesn't sound like any place I would attend

We serve God from our hearts
He cares nothing about our talents only whats in our Hearts

Psalm 100:1-5 KJV​

1 Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all ye lands. 2 Serve the Lord with gladness: come before his presence with singing. 3 Know ye that the Lord he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture. 4 Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name. 5 For the Lord is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations.

That Whole Thing Has Irritated Me Since I Read About It. Disgraceful...
I am with you on that. It saddens me to see someone go through something like this. It is all senseless and not in line with what the church is supposed to be about. This is the kind of things that turns some people away from religion all together, which is terrible.

This is the kind of things that turns some people away from religion all together, which is terrible.
Far too often, "religion" gets in the way of worship. God, Christ or whomever is not a building, a monument or a given group of "representatives". Nor does that building or specific group speak for or contain everyone.

Maybe for Bethel.. but he needs to expand the bands he listens to.
I site Josh Baldwin, We The Kingdom and Zack Williams who feature acoustic guitars in their mix.
Not sure I would stay at a church like that.
Someone "prominent" said something to that effect. He said, "You mix well but it always sounds kind of the same. Why don't you try to paint it a bit differently like by adding in the acoustic guitar?!" People are starting to notice and even one elder spoke to the sound engineer after noticing how I was strumming away but no sound was coming out of the PA system. The good is that he now is mixing in the acoustic guitar. I cannot believe he didn't just listen to me and waited until more important people started noticing. What a punk move.

Someone "prominent" said something to that effect. He said, "You mix well but it always sounds kind of the same. Why don't you try to paint it a bit differently like by adding in the acoustic guitar?!" People are starting to notice and even one elder spoke to the sound engineer after noticing how I was strumming away but no sound was coming out of the PA system. The good is that he now is mixing in the acoustic guitar. I cannot believe he didn't just listen to me and waited until more important people started noticing. What a punk move.
Who Is The Pastor?

Not to hijack the thread from its intended purpose, but I have a question for those who serve in church.

Do any of your churches have someone who acts as a full fledged musical director? Someone who's purpose is to listen and to help the band as a whole or who helps the individual players when things are not quite right? Or is there a worship leader who also plays and makes suggestions if things are lacking?

I've been wondering this for a long time. No one at our church "cracks the whip" so to say and for the most part its good. Every one is expected to know thier parts and even if things aren't quite there (as long as its not sloppy) the approach is a failry casual one. It seems to work but there are occasions where it sure would be nice if someone said "lets record that and listen back because it could be better."

Back