I never learn...

I think we always tend to look for guys/people that we want to play with, guys/that are good and seem like you can form a good band with, guys that you get along with so you assume will be good to spend time with creating a band, and all of these type of things. But what can be most important, is finding people with the same objectives as you have. The toughest thing is finding people who want to commit to about the same level on practice time, amount of gigs per month, etc., so that you can be on the same page with those things.

If you find great guys who are great players and you hit it off great with them, have a blast practicing, etc. but you want to gig once a month and they want to gig twice a week... it won't work, and vice versa. So the tricky thing is finding a whole group of people who meet all the first objectives, AND the second. Usually, the band tends to have a mixture of the various "qualifications" and that can last for a while, but not long.

One of my groups I played with had several gigs messed up at the absolute LAST minute, because one guy was "on call." We'd literally be day of a gig and on the way TO the gig and get a call that he couldn't be there. And it was legit. He HATED to miss and LIVED for the gigs, but after a while, we had to decide that he had to tell his boss he could not be on call on gig days any more or it wouldn't work. Mixing in younger musicians who have younger kids is another wild card.

In the end, it's just hard to find a group of 3-4-5 people who are all committed to similar levels of time and energy, have similar musical abilities and goals, and have similar levels of availability.

And then, to acknowledge your point, lets be honest here, the "target audience" for these musician and singer inquiries is perhaps a little flakier than the gen pop. :) And know I don't mean all of "us" but an "above average" amount. But a lot of it has nothing to do with flakiness, it is just general mismatches in the availability/commitment levels. IMO
Statement so true!

Well...The Old Wives Tale Was You Could Go Blind From Doing Such A Thing...

Years ago, I saw Dr. Ruth Westheimer give a speech. At the beginning, she said she wanted the lights up for two reasons - "One, I like to see who I'm talking to. And I'll tell you the second reason later."

Forty minutes or so into the talk, she's on the topic of self-pleasure, and said "You all know the myths, it'll make you go blind, it'll make you grow hair on your palms...THERE! That's the second reason I like the lights up, because every time I say the palms thing, somebody looks at their hands - and tonight it was you!" and pointed at someone in the crowd.

I mean there are metronome, backing tracks, and drum tracks on youtube. I use them all the time for daily practice.
Actually, that’s how the whole thing got started. At first, they were taking generic free backing tracks from the net. But then several people started making them and before long we never used those freebies anymore. But at first, that’s what we used.

But, Ahazz wants a band!

Like, Bob Weir and the crew over there are working on a latent free multi stream system so they can rehearse without being in the same city or state. If we can get that, we don need no steekin' backing tracks.

And it works better if we are friends.

God Luck and Good Speed Ahazz. I'd definitely be interested if I was in your area, man!

But, Ahazz wants a band!

Like, Bob Weir and the crew over there are working on a latent free multi stream system so they can rehearse without being in the same city or state. If we can get that, we don need no steekin' backing tracks.

And it works better if we are friends.

God Luck and Good Speed Ahazz. I'd definitely be interested if I was in your area, man!
Oh, there’s no question that a LIVE online jam would be cooler than my idea, but latency makes that not really doable. If we can find a way around that though, that live video jam concept would be the coolest thing ever, and would very quickly break the internet with millions of musicians from all over the world tried to get into the jam rooms.

Heck..Start With A Drum Track By Itself And Let The Games Begin!
That would be easy enough to do. I have a few applications that can do that. That makes a lot of work for anyone participating. I am not sure how many people have the equipment and ability to take it from there. It would be nice to have enough there for more people to participate. Maybe we can throw something like that out as an advanced track occasionally.

That would be easy enough to do. I have a few applications that can do that. That makes a lot of work for anyone participating. I am not sure how many people have the equipment and ability to take it from there. It would be nice to have enough there for more people to participate. Maybe we can throw something like that out as an advanced track occasionally.
Yes, like I mentioned, when we did this in the other forum, some guys learned how to use recording software, but some literally recorded themselves with their phone

Years ago, I saw Dr. Ruth Westheimer give a speech. At the beginning, she said she wanted the lights up for two reasons - "One, I like to see who I'm talking to. And I'll tell you the second reason later."

Forty minutes or so into the talk, she's on the topic of self-pleasure, and said "You all know the myths, it'll make you go blind, it'll make you grow hair on your palms...THERE! That's the second reason I like the lights up, because every time I say the palms thing, somebody looks at their hands - and tonight it was you!" and pointed at someone in the crowd.
I always wondered how my palms got so hairy!

I Always Say No To 360 Deals. ;)

But that 361st...
all-over-it-rerez.gif

Back