I never learn...

I guess I'm super lucky when it comes to "bands", in my very limited experiences. I never joined a band or jammed with anyone as a teenager, and only did a couple of lame jams when in college. I really waited until I started out in a "basement band" as an adult with a few coworkers (in Canada garage bands won't work for 6 months out of the year). We weren't serious in any way, but it gave me an outlet for what little musical talents I had - the other members were far better than me. We slowly fell apart as we moved away from a more centralized location, and one of us got married, etc. "Jimmy quit, Jody got married, I should've known, we'd never get far..."

Then my next "band" was almost 15 years later here in Florida - started jamming with a co-worker and his (at the time) girlfriend (now wife). We've been together 10 years now, with my (then) girlfriend (now wife) joining about 7 years ago. It helps we are really close friends (and neighbors).

We played regular weekend gigs for a while, but that dried up over the pandemic. We've recorded 4 CDs (private release), working on our fifth, with another 1.5 albums worth of material already written - could even be more if a couple of us pull from our "back catalog" of older material not yet explored.

So I'm pretty happy with how all that worked out - but we weren't struggling to pay any bills from the gig money - most of the time that didn't even pay for meals and gas on day of gig anyway. We got a few bigger checks from some St Pat's Day gigs etc, but nothing to invest in a Private Stock as a reward, lol. This has been the ultimate "Doctors and Lawyers" band without any of us actually being in those professions, I suppose...

So what I'm saying, @Aahzz , is it can be rewarding from an artistic point of view, but choose carefully. If you can't be friends with the other bandmates, you'll find it hard to stay together, IMHO.

I think Sound Cloud is still a good option. I am interested in trying to get this going. This can tie into something that I have been trying to do some self study on. This could be something that helps me dig into some stuff I want to dig into and get others involved so we can all have some fun with it.
I'm in on this too if we're voting.

You’re not going to believe this comrade. It makes Laz want to go back to pre-1989 Hungary where the State at least supports musical artists.

If Laz goes to his dentist, doctor, CPA, grocery store, gas station, banker, chimney sweep or roto-rooter guy he found out he has to pay them for their work!

I mean, WTF!!

Laz was shocked to learn that none of these comrades think of their work as a fun hobby and want to do it for free — for even one measly hour!!

You should see the bill Laz’ dentist handed him for a half hour crown prep. Laz wanted it done for free because his dentists enjoys his work just like Laz does!

But oh, no.

None of these so-called comrades are good communists, that’s for sure. Who knew? What kind of country is this!?!

In fact, if his dentist hands Laz a bill and Laz doesn’t feel like paying it - I mean, dental work should be free, right? - that dentist goes right ahead and gets pissed!

A BILL!!

Like he can’t afford to trade his conrade his ability for his comrade’s need!!

So Laz decided he should be well paid to do his work just Iike these other capitalist tools, or he doesn’t play.

The world is a terrible, plutocratic, capitalist-imperialist place place and poor Laz is forced to be part of it.

Just like you.
So To Say It Quickly And In Simple Terms For Those In The Back...LAZ AGREES TO PROVIDE THE FREE BACKING TRACKS FOR US AND WILL ALSO MIX ALL OUR TAKES FOR FREE TO MAKE US ALL SOUND GOOD SO WE CAN MAINTAIN FORUM CRED! Thank You Laz! You Are The Best!!!!!! :)

Les, I get what you're saying. I certainly didn't mean to bring in musicians or anything like that. I just thought that with your experience and virtual instrument arsenal, you could throw together a 45 second backing track in a few minutes. And just for the fun of jamming over, not a commercial release. But I get it. Guess we just need someone who can throw together backing tracks in something like Garage Band or something. Just something simple... bass, rhythm guitar, drums, done.

Any takers?
Sounds like a job for you.

I started a new thread for the backing track recording idea.

Some communities have song circles, usually acoustic instruments. Each person takes a turn leading a song and everyone follows along. It is a good way to get familiar with new songs and meet people.

It takes me two full 12 hour days to a week of 12 hour days to write, record, mix and put together a decent 30 second bed - even working alone.

I do have certain standards. The devil is in the details.

Not to say I always succeed, but I always go 100% or I don’t go. Call it professional pride or the difference between semi pro and pro.

“Hi doc, can you whip me up a quick surgery? Doesn’t have to be high quality or anything.”
So, you’re saying you can do it, but it will be expensive….

And you’ll definitely have to lower your standards to let me hack around on your stuff! :D

Seriously though, I didn’t mean to call you out like that. We had a guy in the other forum that was under contract, and he created a different screen name, sound cloud etc so he could participate anonymously , without his label knowing

Back