Migraines

Hi. Groovetastic the treatment is working for you!

I used to get migraines a lot. Mostly pain and light sensitivity, but there was a while where I'd see a bright flash then lose sight in one eye for about 15 minutes. Absolutely freaked the first time it happened, while driving. I don't know why, but that stopped at some point.

In the last few years, changing my diet and lifestyle has greatly helped, but mine was in severe need of changing (sitting at a desk all evening, eating fast or microwave food, sedentary even outside of work, and becoming morbidly obese). Anyway, around four years ago I switched to a Mediterranean style diet on a doctor's advice, started walking/hiking (later biking and, most recently, jogging), and stopped spending so much time in front of screens. Besides dropping over half my previous weight, migraines have become rare, as did a lot of other issues, including depression and dry/cracking skin that had my stop playing for several years.

Hi. Groovetastic the treatment is working for you!

I used to get migraines a lot. Mostly pain and light sensitivity, but there was a while where I'd see a bright flash then lose sight in one eye for about 15 minutes. Absolutely freaked the first time it happened, while driving. I don't know why, but that stopped at some point.

In the last few years, changing my diet and lifestyle has greatly helped, but mine was in severe need of changing (sitting at a desk all evening, eating fast or microwave food, sedentary even outside of work, and becoming morbidly obese). Anyway, around four years ago I switched to a Mediterranean style diet on a doctor's advice, started walking/hiking (later biking and, most recently, jogging), and stopped spending so much time in front of screens. Besides dropping over half my previous weight, migraines have become rare, as did a lot of other issues, including depression and dry/cracking skin that had my stop playing for several years.
You should be so proud of yourself! Congrats because I am sure proud of you! My husband was told he had to lose weight as well. He took it seriously and lost 100 lbs in a year. He is at his best fighting weight ever. I am tickled pink with the results!

You should be so proud of yourself! Congrats because I am sure proud of you! My husband was told he had to lose weight as well. He took it seriously and lost 100 lbs in a year. He is at his best fighting weight ever. I am tickled pink with the results!
Thanks! I'm proud of it yet also mortified I got that bad and am still surprised how easy it was, especially after an injury.

And congratulations to your husband! That's all kinds of awesome!

Thanks! I'm proud of it yet also mortified I got that bad and am still surprised how easy it was, especially after an injury.

And congratulations to your husband! That's all kinds of awesome!
Honestly if you put your mind, body and soul into your future endeavours it is absolutely amazing what one can accomplish.

That's fantastic!! Could you tell us more about these nerve blocks? Are they occipital? What medication is used?

Sorry I didn’t see this. I will find out for you.

Migraines from hell still exist. Not a good day for me.

Ugh, me too... since 2:30 am. One of the worst ones this year, for some reason. Meds NOT helping this time... had to reach for my leftover opioids in an effort to render myself unconscious (go to sleep) LOL. Sometimes, DEEP sleep is the only thing that works (if I can get there through all the pain)

That's fantastic!! Could you tell us more about these nerve blocks? Are they occipital? What medication is used?
Nerve blocks:

Your doctor injects small amounts of a numbing medicine such as lidocaine or bupivacaine into the base of the skull to block pain signals from the nerves. Pain may be relieved within a few minutes, and the effects of the procedure can last weeks to months. A nerve block is a temporary treatment for severe pain.

I will be definitely getting more as soon as I get a hold of my doctor tomorrow. I got nerve blocks for the very first time December 22 2022. They seem to be helping because the frequency of my migraines has been dialed down a notch.

This just gets to be too much at times though. If things really get out of control I will take a sleeping pill just to be rid of the pain.

I have been also taking Tylenol 3, just 1 with Maxalt and it seems to work more efficiently and effectively. I can’t even begin to fathom being without medication. I know I wouldn’t be here. The pain is unbearable at times.

Never give up searching for answers. Never give up finding the right doctor. Never give up on yourself. It can be brutal at times.

It’s taken me 25 years to reach this point in my migraine journey.

Nerve blocks:

Your doctor injects small amounts of a numbing medicine such as lidocaine or bupivacaine into the base of the skull to block pain signals from the nerves. Pain may be relieved within a few minutes, and the effects of the procedure can last weeks to months. A nerve block is a temporary treatment for severe pain.

I will be definitely getting more as soon as I get a hold of my doctor tomorrow. I got nerve blocks for the very first time December 22 2022. They seem to be helping because the frequency of my migraines has been dialed down a notch.

This just gets to be too much at times though. If things really get out of control I will take a sleeping pill just to be rid of the pain.

I have been also taking Tylenol 3, just 1 with Maxalt and it seems to work more efficiently and effectively. I can’t even begin to fathom being without medication. I know I wouldn’t be here. The pain is unbearable at times.

Ah OK, I've had those, except not in my occipitals yet; I had them all in trigger points in my upper back/shoulders, trying to relieve muscle tension that triggers tension headaches which triggers my migraines.

I tried Tylenol3 for awhile, it dulled them a bit but never got rid of them... they also tried tramadol (no good) and I even tried some oxycontin on my own (had some leftover from a bad burn on one of my hands), and that didn't do anything either... "research has shown" opioids don't help with migraines, however everyone is different, and the migraines can be so bad sometimes, even something that helps 10% is worth it!!! Tylenol3 (codeine) remains my favorite painkiller, for anything.

I just woke up an another migraine has reared it’s ugly head. #6 since Friday. I had a great medicated sleep. And now this shite.

9 am I am on the phone

This is insane and it gets so much more difficult to deal with. I can handle them usually if it just one but back to back is just intolerable. I just can’t do this anymore. I am at my wits end with the pain and suffering.

Last edited:
Just curious, have you ever been tested for Lyme disease and it's co-infections? I have Lyme disease and there is something called a "lyme headache", which hurts just as bad as a migraine, but generally lasts for days. My last one, a couple weeks ago, lasted 3 days. I ask because, the meds for a lyme headache are very different than for migraine... because a lyme headache is actually caused by brain swelling, believe it or not. I just got those meds last week, so if I have another one I will be giving them a try...

Just curious, have you ever been tested for Lyme disease and it's co-infections? I have Lyme disease and there is something called a "lyme headache", which hurts just as bad as a migraine, but generally lasts for days. My last one, a couple weeks ago, lasted 3 days. I ask because, the meds for a lyme headache are very different than for migraine... because a lyme headache is actually caused by brain swelling, believe it or not. I just got those meds last week, so if I have another one I will be giving them a try...
I have had these for 25 years and 99.9% of the time it affects the left side of my face only. It doesn’t affect anything else. I have the classic symptoms much like a Lyme headache but I don’t think so. I will ask my neurologist but I don’t really think that is the case.

Thx for your thoughts though.

I have had these for 25 years and 99.9% of the time it affects the left side of my face only. It doesn’t affect anything else. I have the classic symptoms much like a Lyme headache but I don’t think so. I will ask my neurologist but I don’t really think that is the case.

Thx for your thoughts though.

A lyme headache is never one-sided, I don't think. So your do seem to fit the classic migraine "mold."

I was so desperate for pain relief. I am not being dramatic but I would of rather of been dead. The nerve blocks truly saved me.

It gets to a point in my life how much longer can I tolerate this?

I am checking out some more resources.

There is now an inpatient clinic for Pysilocibin trials. I have to talk to my doctor about this.

A person can only take so much unbearable pain and then what? Sick and tired of all this.

I was so desperate for pain relief. I am not being dramatic but I would of rather of been dead. The nerve blocks truly saved me.

It gets to a point in my life how much longer can I tolerate this?

I am checking out some more resources.

There is now an inpatient clinic for Pysilocibin trials. I have to talk to my doctor about this.

A person can only take so much unbearable pain and then what? Sick and tired of all this.

Boy can I relate to this. I mean, I don't wanna go anytime soon LOL, but somedays I think "if I were hit by a bus tomorrow, it wouldn't be all bad." :( It's a terrible way to live:(

Psilocybin may increase nitric oxide levels, triggering headaches in some individuals. But in people with migraine, psilocybin may help. In recent studies researchers found that a single dose of psilocybin could reduce migraine frequency by 50% for at least 2 weeks. Although this preliminary trial was small, it is promising and may lead to larger studies in the future.

There is a study that is been implemented at one of the teaching hospitals downtown. I need to participate in this study. Maybe that will be the key that unlocks the door to my brain.

Desperation is slowly starting to permeate my mind.

And if I don’t get accepted there, there are so many shrooms shops popping up in Toronto that I will self administer.

For my weight all I would need is 0.25 of a gram or maybe up to 0.50. Cycle 3 days on and 3 days off

Desperation calls for anything no matter what it is. I just want to be normal. I don’t want to be stuck in bed all day or with my head stuck in the porcelain Queen all day.

Sick of this shite!

Last edited:
Back