Buckle rash protection

Sancho Panza

I have purchased an S2 standard 22 tobacco sunburst with gloss finish, which I think is georgeous. Plays well too. I dont really want it to suffer buckle rash if I can help it. It is probably sacrilege to cover up the back with some kind of sticky tape of something, but that is what I'm thinking nevertheless. People will probably say just dont tuck your shirt in, and others will probably say it is most un-cool to be worried about it at all. At the other extreme, I have seen some 'distressed' fender guitars in my local shop that look totally fake and silly and cost thousands, and overall I have decided the pristine look is more my thing. Any other ideas to retain pristine-ness?

Sticky tape will probably eventually ruin the finish, so you'd be defeating your own purpose.

There's stuff like this, but I have NO IDEA whether it will leave goo on your guitar or not. I have no experience with it, and don't know anyone who's used it. It's definitely not recommended for nitro.

There are belt buckle wraps that go around the buckle and secure with velcro, but unfortunately, they will do nothing to protect the back of the guitar from rivets on jeans, or shirt buttons.

Some players actually tuck a microfiber cloth into their pants to cover the clothing where the guitar touches the body. Seems a little weird, but it probably doesn't show once the guitar is on.

I slide my belt buckle to the side and untuck a T-shirt or wear a sweater, and have no issues. All of my guitars have nitro finishes, but that's how I used to do it when PRS used Poly as well.

Unfortunately, I think that's the safest way to do it and not look like one's wearing an apron or the World's Strangest Belt.

I learned my lesson the hard way back in the 70's when I wore through the finish on my Les Paul. The luthier laughed a bit as I handed over the refinish $$ and just said .. dude , you can keep paying me or stop wearing a belt . So .....now if I wear a belt when playing , I have a Cayman hide one with a rounded , leather covered buckle from Ecuador , most times in the warm months I wear Aloha shirts, in the cool months sweaters ... so never really an issue .. .

Buy a belt that mechanics use for working on cars (a buckle-less belt). Also, don't wear pants that have rivets on them (Levi's etc.). Also, don't wear a button-down shirt. Instead, a pullover.

After employing all 3 techniques the past 20 years, my guitar backs are in near mint condition.

https://www.amazon.com/Timberland-PRO-No-Scratch-Buckle-Mechanic/dp/B07RPV1GTZ/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2L8OQYOFWTL6Z&keywords=buckle-less+belt&qid=1695065122&s=apparel&sprefix=buckle-less+belt,fashion-mens,87&sr=1-5

https://www.amazon.com/Dickies-No-S...695065281&sprefix=mecanics+belt,aps,98&sr=8-9

Cintas also sells mechanics belts.

Last edited:
Sticky tape will probably eventually ruin the finish, so you'd be defeating your own purpose.

There's stuff like this, but I have NO IDEA whether it will leave goo on your guitar or not. I have no experience with it, and don't know anyone who's used it. It's definitely not recommended for nitro.

There are belt buckle wraps that go around the buckle and secure with velcro, but unfortunately, they will do nothing to protect the back of the guitar from rivets on jeans, or shirt buttons.

Some players actually tuck a microfiber cloth into their pants to cover the clothing where the guitar touches the body. Seems a little weird, but it probably doesn't show once the guitar is on.

I slide my belt buckle to the side and untuck a T-shirt or wear a sweater, and have no issues. All of my guitars have nitro finishes, but that's how I used to do it when PRS used Poly as well.

Unfortunately, I think that's the safest way to do it and not look like one's wearing an apron or the World's Strangest Belt.

Simplest and most effective buckle rash prevention is to take a rag or bandana folded in a rectangle then tucked into your pants with half hanging over your belt buckle.

So what you guys are saying is that I need to become “a man of the cloth”.

See here the best practices to adopt to never scratch your guitar! for chic evenings and at home :D
YdtjXNG.jpg
b65L5yQ.jpg

Back