Buckle rash protection

[..] Some players actually tuck a microfiber cloth into their pants to cover the clothing where the guitar touches the body. [..]
o_O
They are definitely not rockers ...
Nothing is more important than how you dress when you are a rockstar or want to be one.
Rather you show up on stage in your underwear! ;)

Angus-Mutande.jpg

Last edited:
There's stuff like this, but I have NO IDEA whether it will leave goo on your guitar or not. I have no experience with it, and don't know anyone who's used it. It's definitely not recommended for nitro.

I have used this product, and still do to this day. This has been an absolute guitar-saver over the years for me. I've used it on both the poly finishes and the newer CAB finish with no adverse effects.

However, one time I purchased some wood backplates for one of my guitars. I installed them and had a show that weekend or something and used the Backguard like I usually do. I don't think the finish on the backplates had cured enough and the Backguard lifted some of the finish off the wood back plates. No damage was done to the guitar at all, just the back plates.

Since using the Backguard, my guitars have had zero buckle-rash, dents, or dings when it's been applied.

Personally, I can't recommend this product enough.

I will say, with anything you try, try in small applications first...adhere it to a small, inconspicuous spot and see if there is any adverse reaction. Again, with this specific product, I have experienced no adverse reactions.

I have used this product, and still do to this day. This has been an absolute guitar-saver over the years for me. I've used it on both the poly finishes and the newer CAB finish with no adverse effects.

However, one time I purchased some wood backplates for one of my guitars. I installed them and had a show that weekend or something and used the Backguard like I usually do. I don't think the finish on the backplates had cured enough and the Backguard lifted some of the finish off the wood back plates. No damage was done to the guitar at all, just the back plates.

Since using the Backguard, my guitars have had zero buckle-rash, dents, or dings when it's been applied.

Personally, I can't recommend this product enough.

I will say, with anything you try, try in small applications first...adhere it to a small, inconspicuous spot and see if there is any adverse reaction. Again, with this specific product, I have experienced no adverse reactions.
Do you leave it on the guitars when you're not doing a show, more or less permanently, or do you remove it after a show?

I'm curious as to how you'd recommend using it.

Do you leave it on the guitars when you're not doing a show, more or less permanently, or do you remove it after a show?

I'm curious as to how you'd recommend using it.

Yeah, I remove it every time after a show....the longest I've left one on would be overnight. I'm super meticulous with my guitars and try to clean them up as soon as I get home after a gig...but sometimes they end so late, I just want to get home, clean myself up and go to bed. So, guitar clean up waits until the next morning.

Out of my gigging guitars, three of them have the CAB (nitro over poly) finish, and I haven't had an issue with any of them. Not sure which type of nitro the seller is referring to when discouraging use, but I'd definitely imagine anything with a satin finish is an absolute no-go. I'm not privy to different types of nitro finishes (if there are any), but whatever is used on my PRS guitars have not had any adverse affects.

The verbiage has changed since I bought my first one from the guy, maybe eight years ago. Back then, it said it was safe for any high-gloss finish, including nitro. Now it says not to use it on nitro, so I'm not sure what happened, but I imagine somebody put it on some type of finish and had "undesirable" results, so now he makes sure to put that disclaimer on there.

As with everything, I use caution anytime I try something new. I adhered a corner of the product to inconspicuous parts of the guitar body before going full on, to see if there were any immediate undesirable affects. After that, I tried quick, complete application to see what I was dealing with.

To me, it's absolutely ideal...it comes in a large sheet. You simply lay your guitar on it, trace around the guitars body, and use an exact-o-knife to cut it out, and, voila!, a perfectly shaped protector that covers the entire back of the guitar. I always be sure the back of my guitar and the Backguard protector are freshly cleaned (the Backgaurd can be cleaned simply with a wet paper towel) before putting the Backguard on. Whenever I take the Backguard off, I do it slowly and smoothly...trying not to "rip" it off like a bandaid. That's just me being cautious, though.

So, not just off to one side, you're saying put it all the way around on the side?
Just slide the belt all the way to the neck side hip after it's buckled. The body of the guitar doesn't come close to it.

I get tailored T-shirts with a bit of stretch in the fabric in a 'tall' length, and when playing untuck them. Covers the rivets, doesn't look sloppy. No dings, dents, scratches, worming, etc.

If I'm onstage wearing chaps, a collar and bow tie, I get them without rivets or metal, slide the belt, and only have to worry about whether my ass looks good for the ladies.

It seems to me that a properly re-designed codpiece could be the solution to so many guitarists problems. And not just the one related to buckle rash.

I'm not compensating for something...YOU are! :p
This seems to make the most sense to me, and if you grab your Jazz Bass you can use a basspiece.

I came in to say if you get fat enough your buckle will never touch your guitar, but I like the idea of wearing the buckle to the side better.
Why didn’t you guys give up this belt trick a decade ago? It’s going to be tough getting rid of this gut.

Back