Merry Christmas everyone what did you buy yourself?

This is Tyler (as in Steven) at lunch at a pooch friendly place in Memphis.

doxOldL.jpg

and guarding one of her many bones

tWlBkaM.jpg

and just to show the love...Ginger (Baker) doing what he loves most....sleeping on a pile of snow.

yvNp8pN.jpg
OMG! Too cute!! My wife was looking over my shoulder as I viewed these, and commented that Tyler looks like a perfect mix between our current dog and our prior dog!

Really? Sleeping on a snow pile? NOW I've seen everything......

Kevin

OMG! Too cute!! My wife was looking over my shoulder as I viewed these, and commented that Tyler looks like a perfect mix between our current dog and our prior dog!

Really? Sleeping on a snow pile? NOW I've seen everything......

Kevin

Tyler was dubbed a "shepherd mix" from a rescue place. She came to the Chicago area from Joplin, Mo after tornadoes ripped through that area. We've deduced that she's actually a Schiller Hound. Ginger is a funny story. He's pushing 14, and he used to be a little plump, and had a really thin coat. Never liked the cold, and was anti social. About 5 years ago he started acting really weird, for him. A trip to the vet turned up a really low thyroid level. Started him on meds and he dropped a bunch of weight, and his coat went ultra thick. Now he loves to roll around in the snow and lay on top of the AC vents during the summer. He's also become everyone's friend. Go figure!

I've told Bodia before that Tyler is like a clone of the dog we had put to sleep last year. That second picture could have been taken at our house - Hershey used to sit like that w/her bone between her front legs. She liked to 'bury' them under her bed - then when she'd leave the room, I'd move it.

There's some somewhat limited options out there for PRS style fitted cases, but you can always make it work with generic cases. I went with the SKB Iseries case, because I've had one of there gun cases in the same series, and it was incredible.
I’ve got a 66 series and they feel really solid! Good choice

I've told Bodia before that Tyler is like a clone of the dog we had put to sleep last year. That second picture could have been taken at our house - Hershey used to sit like that w/her bone between her front legs. She liked to 'bury' them under her bed - then when she'd leave the room, I'd move it.

Funny about the bones. Our first dog, Ace (Frehley), used to "bury" his bones and raw hides. In between the couch cushions was cute. Buried in a house plant, less so. In between the water bed "mattress" and the frame of the bed led to denial of bedroom access during the day. He was bummed when the water bed went away!

I sold off a Gibson standard SG and picked up a 2017 se Santana in orange. Seemed crazy at first to sell an American made guitar and replace it with one made overseas, but I am just a huge fan of the SE line. Anyways, the Santana is awesome. love the scale length, better balance than the SG, and a much more useable neck pick up. I like the trem bridge as well.

I sold off a Gibson standard SG and picked up a 2017 se Santana in orange. Seemed crazy at first to sell an American made guitar and replace it with one made overseas, but I am just a huge fan of the SE line. Anyways, the Santana is awesome. love the scale length, better balance than the SG, and a much more useable neck pick up. I like the trem bridge as well.

Call me crazy, but when Joe freaking Walsh rocks an SE right alongside his beloved custom-built Carvins and Duesenbergs, I sure wouldn't feel any pressure to justify buying an SE. I'll probably have a couple before too long, I especially love the look of the One and the oughts Standard 22s.

xHTuZhG.jpg

Preliminary report on Christmas gear:

Fulltone Clyde Deluxe- I've had a couple wah's before but never for long. I had a BYOC but traded it right away towards another pedal. I've tried a couple others. This is probably the last wah I'll ever try. It's staying. Each setting is significantly different and useful, and the newer features (adjustable input and buffer/level) make this even better than the older Clyde I tried.

OCD V2- this is simple. The OCD is one of THE classic, best ever pedals over many years now. My V 1.2 that I sold to "upgrade" to V1.4 was one of the best pedals I've ever tried. My V1.7 that I have now also, is the brightest version by far. FYI, I've extensively played a V1.1 and V1.3, as well as owning the 1.2, 1.4, 1.7 and new 2.0. Tonight is the first chance I've gotten to play the new one so of course I tried it with the Custom 50. So after all that....

This is one of the best pedals I've ever played!!!! Hands down! This is also the best OCD ever! Custom 50 clean channel plus OCD = all kinds of greatnest from light crunch to fairly high gain, and with the hi/lo switch and tone knob, anywhere from fat tweedy to bright Marshall crunch. It also took everything from the Fulldrive 3, and Barber GCX, and the EP booster extremely well and provided killer base rhythm tones and choose your solo voice with the other pedal kicked in. I know, honeymoon and all, but this is a great one and a CHEAP great one! This OD pedal can stand head to head with a great amp OD channel, and that's about as good as it gets for a pedal that's barely over $100!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the BE-OD as my main overdrive pedal that I use for my church through an Orange Micro Terror, and it has served me well. Great sounding pedal, although it does get a bit muddy when I drop down to Bb and beyond lol.

That being said, I may be leaving for a little road trip tomorrow to purchase a PRS Archon 50w head to round out my rig. :D Apparently I buy gifts for myself for New Years? :cool:

I also just bought a new PRS Tremonti Custom a few weeks ago. I planned on that being my big purchase for the year, yet here we are. ;)

Nothing :)

But I do have a friend who is a fantastic guitar player without a guitar so I got him a brand new shiny black PRS S2 Standard for Christmas. I told him I was thinking about buying the guitar as a gift for someone and asked if he'd come over on Christmas Eve and evaluate it for me since he's a much better player than I am. He played it for almost two hours commenting on how much he liked pretty much everything about it the whole time.

Should have seen the look on his face when I told him it was his guitar. From a shocked stare of utter disbelief to tears in his eyes in a single moment... priceless :)

Last edited:
Nothing :)

But I do have a friend who is a fantastic guitar player without a guitar so I got him a brand new shiny black PRS S2 Standard for Christmas. I told him I was thinking about buying the guitar as a gift for someone and asked if he'd come over on Christmas Eve and evaluate it for me since he's a much better player than I am. He played it for almost two hours commenting on how much he liked pretty much everything about it the whole time.

Should have seen the look on his face when I told him it was his guitar. From a shocked stare of utter disbelief to tears in his eyes in a single moment... priceless :)
Fantastic, what a great friend!:D

I did a distortion box from a Guitar Player article about...25 or so years ago. I'm no pro with a soldering iron but I'm comfortable enough to give it a try. This kit priced out a little less than the reissue boxes are going for used on eBay, so I figured what the heck. And I get to do my own graphics for the case:cool:

Today the man made a delivery...
VPW7lkM.jpg

fZaAejG.jpg

Wife convinced me to wait until morning (perhaps cuz I'd already had some wine..hmmm) to get out the soldering iron. I've got an idea for the case graphics, and I've already watched about 30 videos on how to do it, so it's less than highly likely I'll screw it up:rolleyes:

Not really a purchase since I swapped a different amp for it, but I got a Marshall Class 5 combo today as a late Christmas me-present. 5 watts into a 10” speaker simply shouldn’t make the righteous sounds that little son of a gun does! Had a grin from ear to ear two milliseconds after hitting the first power chord. I took my EG along to properly try it out and before long I had a small audience checking my axe out and asking about it. “When did PRS make a Strat?” “I’ve never seen a PRS without a fancy maple top before... cool guitar!”

Back