The 80's - what was your guitar life ''Pre-PRS'' and why did you change

Holy crap... the same year as my old T-60 and everything.......
https://reverb.com/item/17316156-vi...t-60-electric-guitar-original-case-pro-set-up

nca98sdspdrvyd3xyuuc.jpg

I was the strolling accordionist in the House of the Rising Sun, when one of the hookers wised me up. “Accordions are for old men,” she said. “You’re not that old yet. Learn to play guitar, and you’ll be more popular.” Well, she was right about that, I was only fourteen.

“Where do I get a guitar?” I asked. “The internet hasn’t been invented yet.”

“That’s true,” she said. “Al Gore hasn’t been born yet. Heck, it’s only 1934.” We were both at a loss. I got dressed, paid her the two bits and went back to work.

The next day as the hookers were fighting over whose turn it was to wear the one pair of underpants they had to share, the one who was my friend said, “Psst. I have something for you.” I went into her room, and on the cot was a guitar case. Inside was a PRS. “How...” I asked.

She smiled and said something about a visit from this guy in a stainless steel car, but I didn’t really listen, I was so enthralled by this PRS. I picked it up, and it played so easily - I was able to play Stairway To Heaven perfectly, including the solo, which was pretty amazing for two reasons: one, I’d never played the guitar before; and two, the song wouldn’t be written for 37 years.

This is the magic of a PRS. You can do the not-yet-possible on it.

Unfortunately, a few days later I was abducted by aliens, and when I was returned to Earth, I was still only 14, but 30 years had passed in Earth-time, and the House of the Rising Sun was torn down and the property had been turned into a parking lot. There was no hope of finding my PRS.

I would have to wait it out until they started making them. It was to prove a long wait through a dark tunnel. Because I lived in a tunnel, since the House of the Rising Sun was no longer around, and there wasn’t much of a market for fourteen year old strolling accordionists. The next 21 years were kind of a blur. At some point I got drafted into the Navy and wound up in a weather station at the South Pole. I learned something important at the South Pole: just about everywhere else is more fun.

Except law school. The South Pole is infinitely more fun than law school, though either way you’re going to need a lot of alcohol.
accordian1.jpg

accordian2.jpg

accordian3.jpg

That build took me months to complete. Believe me, my self deprecation is squarely tongue-in-cheek...it sounds fantastic!

Of course.
Never met a Tele I didn’t like!

PRS guitars have a jewel like refinement, but sometimes I just want rudeness and crudeness!
My #1 is a partsotele.

Just because to drive a Cadillac, you needn’t belittle pickup trucks!

Tough room...

That’s it! I can’t take any more.

I’m going home to mother!

“Dude. You’re an old man. You’d be a burden to your aged mother.”

“Well, she wouldn’t make me look at Telecasters ever again.”

“There’s something to be said for that.”

“You can come visit. She won’t make you look at Telecasters, either. She might make you look at my baby book, though.”

“Is there a picture of naked Baby Les on a little bearskin rug?”

“Two. One was taken when I was a baby, and one that was taken later for comparison purposes.”

“How much later?”

“I dunno. Couple weeks ago. Oddly enough, I needed a bigger rug this time.”

Last edited:
I had a black Ibanez Pro-Line V. It was pointy and had bladed humbuckers and a locking wang bar. I spent way too much time trying to learn Panama from tab on that thing, before even really learning the basics like cowboy chords or how to palm mute.

I eventually traded it for a trans black Yamaha Pacifica about 1991, which eventually went toward my first bought-new guitar about 1994, a tricolor burst Fender 60s Strat. I was totally in an EC/SRV/EJ kinda mode by then.

Last edited:
You might be the only person I know who keeps their guitar on a table runner.

Presumably you’ve heard of the couch...
You’re the only person I know - on this forum - that can identify a table runner. Civilized you are. :cool:

(There was no good light at the black leather couch and Markie’s white one was too far away)

That’s it! I can’t take any more.

I’m going home to mother!

“Dude. You’re an old man. You’d be a burden to your aged mother.”

“Well, she wouldn’t make me look at Telecasters ever again.”

“There’s something to be said for that.”

“You can come visit. She won’t make you look at Telecasters, either. She might make you look at my baby book, though.”

“Is there a picture of naked Baby Les on a little bearskin rug?”

“Two. One was taken when I was a baby, and one that was taken later for comparison purposes.”

“How much later?”

“I dunno. Couple weeks ago. Oddly enough, I needed a bigger rug this time.”

OMG that was hilarious - thanks Les !!!
Put a smile on my face.

Back