The 80's - what was your guitar life ''Pre-PRS'' and why did you change

I was the strolling accordionist in the House of the Rising Sun, when one of the hookers wised me up. “Accordions are for old men,” she said. “You’re not that old yet. Learn to play guitar, and you’ll be more popular.” Well, she was right about that, I was only fourteen.

“Where do I get a guitar?” I asked. “The internet hasn’t been invented yet.”

“That’s true,” she said. “Al Gore hasn’t been born yet. Heck, it’s only 1934.” We were both at a loss. I got dressed, paid her the two bits and went back to work.

The next day as the hookers were fighting over whose turn it was to wear the one pair of underpants they had to share, the one who was my friend said, “Psst. I have something for you.” I went into her room, and on the cot was a guitar case. Inside was a PRS. “How...” I asked.

She smiled and said something about a visit from this guy in a stainless steel car, but I didn’t really listen, I was so enthralled by this PRS. I picked it up, and it played so easily - I was able to play Stairway To Heaven perfectly, including the solo, which was pretty amazing for two reasons: one, I’d never played the guitar before; and two, the song wouldn’t be written for 37 years.

This is the magic of a PRS. You can do the not-yet-possible on it.

Unfortunately, a few days later I was abducted by aliens, and when I was returned to Earth, I was still only 14, but 30 years had passed in Earth-time, and the House of the Rising Sun was torn down and the property had been turned into a parking lot. There was no hope of finding my PRS.

I would have to wait it out until they started making them. It was to prove a long wait through a dark tunnel. Because I lived in a tunnel, since the House of the Rising Sun was no longer around, and there wasn’t much of a market for fourteen year old strolling accordionists. The next 21 years were kind of a blur. At some point I got drafted into the Navy and wound up in a weather station at the South Pole. I learned something important at the South Pole: just about everywhere else is more fun.

Except law school. The South Pole is infinitely more fun than law school, though either way you’re going to need a lot of alcohol.

I will supply sound effect of ”Fa-ting” and “Patooey”, whilst gently humming “Wandering Star”!!

Umm, yeah! I could row a boat like a champ with this...

boogiecaster1.jpg

Thank heavens you didn’t name it the Tele-Booger!

Oops d@mn spell check!!;)

Me three. Lets see, '87.....6'3" 150lbs.......I've added a hundo since then
In 20 years I've added 20 Lbs. A pound a year. I really need to drop the 20.

The interesting thing is, in my 40's I grew taller! Not a lot, only a little more than half an inch, but I've never heard of someone growing taller at such an age. Now I'm over 6'1". Weird... :confused:

I didn't have a sound before PRS existed because I'm just a young pup (only 26). However, before I stumbled upon PRS, my first 'name brand' guitar was a cheap Schecter. After that, I dabbled with Fenders and Epiphones, but never really loved any of them. Eventually, I stumbled on an SE, which kicked off my love for PRS. Now I've got my CE24, just got an SC245, and my custom Strat I made from parts. If PRS decides to make an SS with more modern appointments, I'll be grabbing one of those too.

Me three. Lets see, '87.....6'3" 150lbs.......I've added a hundo since then
87 I was 6'3" and and had ballooned to 175 as I was hitting the nautilus stuff a couple times a week. I've added 10 since then.

A Peavey T-60, a Fender Strat, (the almost obligatory) Kramer Baretta, and an Ibanez 470 RG at various times in that decade. What changed? I saw David Grissom playing a PRS which piqued my interest, but once I played one it was all over at that point - I was a goner. PRS guitars feel "right" to me, sound great, and are consistent in quality -'nuff said.

Last edited:
1985 epiphone acoustic
1985 chinese fake stratocaster
1986 ibanez artist semihollow
1986 ovation celebrity acoustic
1987 gibson sg
1988 strat deluxe with the microtuners
1988 ovation 1842 with the eq
1988 rickenbacker 360/12
1990 tiesco fretless
1999 les paul deluxe pro
2001 prs standard 22 stoptail
2003 52 reissue telecaster
2004 another sg
2006 taylor big baby
2006 japanese stratocaster
2006 prs standard trem

only the standard 22 stoptail remains.

My 80s guitar list isn't very impressive and while I do have some photos of me with them, I am too lazy to dig around in the attic for them at the moment. Since my list is rather poor, I will attempt to entertain/bore you now in three acts:

Act I: My EVH Phase
My mum bought me my first electric guitar around Christmas 1986 (I was 14 at the time) as I was just playing a cheap Encore acoustic which was a poor copy of a Gibson Hummingbird. The electric guitar she chose was a third-hand blue J.B. Player with a 30 watt Peavey Bandit amp. I remember asking for a Kramer Focus because I was the world's biggest EVH fanboy in Western Michigan so imagine my shock and horror to unwrap this ugly monstrosity on Christmas morning and pretend to be excited ("Wow, gee thanks!"). This was THE WORST guitar I've ever played. The body was your typical 80s HSS configuration. It had dents, dings and scratches all over it, the neck was completely farked, the frets were sharp and uneven, the pickups were crap and the Floyd Rose-style tremolo constantly went out of tune and i was breaking strings left and right. The amp wasn't much better either. It farted and crackled every time I turned it up (I hadn't heard about contact cleaner yet) and the tone was akin to my butt after two spicy burritos and a glass of Nestle Quik. So for about 3 months, I was the world's saddest teenager who was stuck in his bedroom with the world's worst gear. All my posters and pictures of Eddie Van Halen were looking down upon me with such bitter shame and pity. I felt embarrassed to tell my guitar playing friends at school about what I got for Christmas as they boasted about all their recent acquisitions. Marshall JCM800, Jackson Soloist, RAT Distortion pedal, Les Paul Studio, etc. When I was asked what I got, I simply lied and told them that i just got new skiis, This was the gear equivalent to dating the ugly girl at school. Yeah, you can say you had one but you certainly didn't want to be caught in public holding it. Since I lived out in the sticks at the time, I knew that my pals wouldn't be stopping over anytime soon to discover what I really got. Despite my embarrassment and shame, I simply carried on the best I could with this most ugly guitar.

Act II: My Hendrix Phase
Around the time of my 15th birthday (March 21, 1987), I had finally had enough of trying to play this impossibly $hitty J.B. Player. Also around this time, I was morphing out of my EVH phase and into a Hendrix phase which was exacerbated by me playing my cassette copy of "Are You Experienced?" to death. So naturally, what guitar was I gunning for now? Yep, you guessed it. A Fender Stratocaster. So it was fate calling when I went to the guitar store (the same place my mum bought me that POS guitar) and there in the center of the store on it's own pedestal was a creme colored Fender Stratocaster. Remember that scene in "Wayne's World" when Wayne discovers a Strat encased in glass and he bows on one knee? Well that's exactly how I felt. It was an unusual Strat. It had some sort of double locking FR-type of tremolo, it was made in Japan and had a rosewood fingerboard. But it sounded awesome to me as I plugged it into a Marshall combo amp. Since I had saved up enough of my Christmas money, I knew that it would supplement the balance of trading in that awful J.B. Player since it wasn't worth a damn. The very next day, I went back and did the deal. About a year later, I traded in that awful Peavey Bandit towards the then newly-reissued Fender Champ 12 amp (my very first tube amp). For the next year, I was quite happy with this gear and all was right in my musical world. That is, until autumn 1989, when I heard Joe Satriani's "Flying in a Blue Dream"...

Act III: My Satch Phase
As you may have guessed by now, dear and gentle reader, I had just finally discovered Joe Satriani. I had heard about "Surfiing With The Alien" a couple years earlier but still haven't heard it for myself yet. So as it was, one day I was in a Believe in Music record store (remember those?) and FIABD was playing over the store PA. I was instantly floored and I left the guitar store with that cassette along with Satch's three previous albums and starting combing through all my guitar magazines for any mention of Satriani from ads to articles. Since he played an Ibanez through a Marshall, that became the new combo for me to save up for. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get this gear until around my birthday in 1990 so thus ends my 80s list without much fanfare. Btw, it was an Ibanez EX-something (it was the cheapest of the lower end Ibanez guitars at the time and the Marshall was a Master Reverb 30 combo which I still have today. The Marshall, that is. The Ibanez was traded for a Peavey Fury bass but that was around 1993 and I was in college. But that's a different story for a different topic...

Back