McCarty SC594 compared to traditional LP's?

My two main guitars are a McCarty 594 SC from 2018 and a Gibson Les Paul from 1991. There are some similarities, but not too many.

Both have ebony fingerboards, which obviously is not the norm. Both feel exquisite. Both also happen to have similar neck profiles. They are both also very heavy (about 10 pounds).

But that’s where the similarities end. Playing feel is certainly superior on the PRS, although the Gibson plays great too. I prefer the finish and the frets of the PRS. Sonically there is basically 0% overlap. They sound nothing like each other at all.

In fact, my other Gibsons (including LPs) and PRS guitars sound nothing like each other either. The Gibsons sound like Gibsons and the PRSi sound like PRS.

That’s also the reason why I have several guitars from both brands - they have almost nothing incommon except on a superficial level.

Bare in mind, however, that I mostly play low-gain and clean guitars - more Rolling Stones than Slayer. As such the differences between the guitars come through very differently to high-gain metal playing. I would assume that all that distortion would even out some of the differences.

If you want the Gibson sound, you need a Gibson (or a new Epiphone - they are closer to Gibsons than other alternatives IMO). But If you’re sound is mostly dictated by the amp and speakers (as is often the case in metal), I would assume that it is not as apparent.
Interesting. I don't hear LPs and PRS sounding radically different if they have similar pickups.

Differest, yes. But radically different? No.

Humbuckers sound like humbuckers.

A lot of LP guys, like Dickie Betts and others who have passed through the Allman Brothers, play those same Allman Bros songs on a LP or PRS and the songs sound about the same.

My whole “PRS only” thing is kinda new, up until 2013 I always owned at least one Les Paul, and I’ve owned a pile of other Gibsons over the years.

I’ve never had a single one that had or got a headstock break, and I’m not an obsessively careful guitar owner.

If you’re curious about owning an LP, do it! YOLO.

Interesting. I don't hear LPs and PRS sounding radically different if they have similar pickups.

Differest, yes. But radically different? No.

Humbuckers sound like humbuckers.

A lot of LP guys, like Dickie Betts and others who have passed through the Allman Brothers, play those same Allman Bros songs on a LP or PRS and the songs sound about the same.
I’m kinda of the same mindset.

Sure, every guitar sounds a little different from the next, even if it’s the same brand and model, but ultimately they all just sound like guitar.

I think I’m more hung up on playability and functionality. Getting a guitar tone that I find satisfying is pretty easy for me.

I’m kinda of the same mindset.

Sure, every guitar sounds a little different from the next, even if it’s the same brand and model, but ultimately they all just sound like guitar.

I think I’m more hung up on playability and functionality. Getting a guitar tone that I find satisfying is pretty easy for me.
My biggest hang up is that a guitar has to inspire me. It has to make me write new songs and riffs when I pick it up and when I put it down I have to think: "Wow! What a great guitar!"

I'll just add that I've owned nearly 20 Historic LPs (Gibson Custom Shop) with as many as five at once, and a core PRS. Now I have four PRS and one really great Historic LP.

I guess my point is that a great LP is a joy to play, hear, and own, but once I discovered the tonal versatility and addictive playability of PRSs, the LPs seemed limited and somewhat boring in comparison. And like others here stated, I still love those iconic sounds I get from my LP, but with all of my highly compelling PRSs sitting there beckoning me to pick them up, I don't play that LP much at all these days.

Ever play a CS356? Great guitar. Solid maple top (not veneer like a 335). This is an M2M with a one piece quilt top and a flame maple ‘59 neck carve:

Holy moly, that is one spectacular guitar. I've seen many of your beautiful guitars posted on this site, but this one here? Sir, this one here IMHO is your finest!

By the way, this has been a great read on this thread. Great stories from back in the day by Lewguitar and many others.

There is no doubt that the Gibson Les Paul is legendary when it comes to rock and roll history and that classic rock sound. I personally find them incredibly uncomfortable to play, they are relatively poorly constructed to boot. The PRS lineup has produced many guitars that give the LP a run for its money, but none of them as much as the SC594. F6CK M3 SIDEWAYS. THE 594 IS KING OF THE MOUNTAIN. BEST GUITAR EVER MADE. I actually prefer the DC594 myself, but the SC is just as mighty and is designed to further capture the vintage sound.

There is no doubt that the Gibson Les Paul is legendary when it comes to rock and roll history and that classic rock sound. I personally find them incredibly uncomfortable to play, they are relatively poorly constructed to boot.

Not true of the Custom Shop reissues. They are very well-made.

While it is true that headstocks are more susceptible to breakage with Les Pauls, it's never happened to me. And I take them to gigs.
We have all seen how some individuals treat their equipment; many just flat out don't take care of their stuff. And UPS and FedEx? Just watch Ace Ventura. :p I shipped a Custom 24 to California once, and UPS broke the box, case, and broke the guitar into 2 pieces; snapped the neck completely off. Happens.

I'm not prepared to call the iconic Les Paul a poor design.
I'm not either, they were a great design for 1953! ;)

I kid. Yes, they're excellent guitars, to this day.

Nonetheless, I have broken the headstock on a Gibson. I bumped one, and it fell off one of those old fashioned stands that didn't secure the guitar. Pretty close to the ground, but the headstock snapped clean off. Very bad day.

But, I wouldn't decide not to buy an LP because of the headstock. I'd just be more careful! I should also point out that my 1965 SG Special was my #1 for about 25 years, and I didn't take special care of it, because my brother banged it up before he gave it to me. And it's still alive and kicking. A bulletproof guitar.

I bought a CS 335 in 2007. It was nice, but only lasted here a month. Wasn't my thing, though it was a well-made guitar.

The reason I chose a Singlecut over a Gibson has to do with other things, positive factors. I like the less mid-centric, fuller-frequency tone of the PRS SC models; I like the tuning stability; I like the feel and vibe of the PRS. These are player's choices, of course, and any such choice is inherently a matter of taste.

IMHO, there's no 'best' choice. What's right for a given player in given circumstances is the right choice, and that's something that really ought to be brand-irrelevant and dependent on positive factors, not negative ones.

I always say, if you want the pure LP tone, run the racks and buy a great sounding LP. They're out there. Nothing wrong with either choice.

Last edited:
My biggest hang up is that a guitar has to inspire me. It has to make me write new songs and riffs when I pick it up and when I put it down I have to think: "Wow! What a great guitar!"

Lew, you and I think alike. There must've been something in the water in Michigan in the '60s...

And whichever guitar inspires the player is, by definition, a great choice.

"By whose definition?"

"Need you ask? Am I not the fount of all definitions?" :rolleyes:

Not true of the Custom Shop reissues. They are very well-made.
Good to know. Les Paul headstock woes need no introduction. The body edges to me also feel like they’ve been honed by a samurai for maximum damage. But they do look badass in the right hands, and they sound great. I think you like to wield the R9 on occasion, if I’m not mistaken.

Good to know. Les Paul headstock woes need no introduction. The body edges to me also feel like they’ve been honed by a samurai for maximum damage. But they do look badass in the right hands, and they sound great. I think you like to wield the R9 on occasion, if I’m not mistaken.

My son-in-law ordered an R9 through the made-to-measure program. He had it made with a tummy cut. Made a lot of sense to me.

Back