McCarty SC594 compared to traditional LP's?

You have to play the LP you’re going to compare. Many, perhaps most, are excellent guitars, with great playability and tone, and reasonable weight considering the construction. Some are unusually heavy and are just not as musical. I can’t speak to CS instruments as I’ve never owned one, but if @11top says they are all aces, you can take that to the bank. He knows guitars. For whatever reason, all of the LPCs I’ve played have been on the very heavy side.

Thanks Rick. One of features of the M2M program at Gibson Custom is you can choose a light mahogany back. It is a fairly substantial uncharge, but you are guaranteed a guitar under 9 lbs. I own a bunch of LPs (non-chambered) that weigh just over 8 lbs.

Perfect reply. I appreciate the provided comparison. I read this as the fundamental tone/experience is not too far apart while there are likely differences in consistency. Comparing a (good) stock LP Custom and stock SC594 would not lead an earth shattering difference, i.e. HSS Strat vs SC594. If that is accurate, then it sounds like it answers my original question (paraphrased) "If I am happy with my SC594, am I missing anything significant from the experience I would get with a LP Custom?"
I will say there is something different about a LP Custom vs a Standard. And I'm not the only person to say it. If you asked me to define it, I'd have to give you a word salad that not helpful.

That said, you're not missing this vast sea of differences. Its worth owning both. Because more guitars is more better.

Thanks Rick. One of features of the M2M program at Gibson Custom is you can choose a light mahogany back. It is a fairly substantial uncharge, but you are guaranteed a guitar under 9 lbs. I own a bunch of LPs (non-chambered) that weigh just over 8 lbs.
Similar boat here. I've had well over 10 Les Pauls from Gibson and LP-style guitars from other makers.
Most were around the 8.6 - 8.8 pound mark.

My current LP Standard, which is very resonant BTW, is 9.3 pounds.

I'll mention something else: the Gibson neck/peghead is not a good design. It breaks easily and you see lots of Les Pauls with repaired pegheads where it snapped off at the nut.

That's because the peghead angles back so severely that the straight wood grain that follows the length of the neck is only about 1" long at the point where the peghead starts to angle back.

Stress follows that short grain and the peghead snaps off when the case falls over or some other trauma happens.

How many Les Pauls have you seen with repaired pegheads?

How many PRS guitars have you seen with repaired pegheads?

In terms of differences, there's one big difference right there.

This guy explains it well: https://hazeguitars.com/blog/why-do-gibson-headstocks-break

While it is true that headstocks are more susceptible to breakage with Les Pauls, it's never happened to me. And I take them to gigs.
We have all seen how some individuals treat their equipment; many just flat out don't take care of their stuff. And UPS and FedEx? Just watch Ace Ventura. :p I shipped a Custom 24 to California once, and UPS broke the box, case, and broke the guitar into 2 pieces; snapped the neck completely off. Happens.

I'm not prepared to call the iconic Les Paul a poor design.

While it is true that headstocks are more susceptible to breakage with Les Pauls, it's never happened to me. And I take them to gigs.
We have all seen how some individuals treat their equipment; many just flat out don't take care of their stuff. And UPS and FedEx? Just watch Ace Ventura. :p I shipped a Custom 24 to California once, and UPS broke the box, case, and broke the guitar into 2 pieces; snapped the neck completely off. Happens.

I'm not prepared to call the iconic Les Paul a poor design.
If I'm being objective, and not an internet fanboy...the headstock design is arguably the worst thing you can say about Gibson.
It's been a known weak point longer than I've been alive.

Stories of broken headstocks are overblown, but it can happen if the guitar takes a big fall.

Note: always annoys me when guys on one forum talk trash about other brand guitars, not rooted in facts.
The Les Paul forum guys like talking trash about PRS guitars on occasion.

I'll mention something else: the one piece Gibson neck/peghead is not a good design. It breaks easily and you see lots of Les Pauls with repaired pegheads where it snapped off at the nut.

That's because the peghead angles back so severely that the straight wood grain that follows the length of the neck is only about 1" long at the point where the peghead starts to angle back.

Stress follows that short grain and the peghead snaps off when the case falls over or some other trauma happens.

PRS guitars with mahogany necks are suceptable to this break too, but ask yourself this:

How many Les Pauls have you seen with repaired pegheads? Answer: Many

How many PRS guitars have you seen with repaired pegheads? Answer: Not many...but it happens

In terms of differences, there's one big difference right there.

This guy explains it well: https://hazeguitars.com/blog/why-do-gibson-headstocks-break
This is probably the main reason I thought I'd never want a Gibson, but then I went and bought an SG. I figured I could avoid breaking it. Every time I play it, though, I think that they really didn't need that much angle back on the headstock.

What I dont get is why gibson - like jackson - uses scarf joint headstocks. I stantly solves the snapped off heads problem.

I've owned lots of Gibsons and lots of Les Pauls over the passed 50 years. My first was gold top '56. A real one. Traded my Fender Jaguar for it.

In the late 60's and early 70's I used to find '55, '56, '57, '58 and '59 Les Pauls for cheap, then put an ad in Rolling Stone and sell them.

A guy who bought one from me in 1970 contacted me on Facebook last year. He still has the one I sold him. Sent me a photo of Joe Bonnamassa playing it. Joe tried to buy it from him. I sold it to the guy for $1000 in 1970. Times change.

The only Gibson I own now is my old ES335. My '60 ES355 stereo was stolen about 30 years ago. Thieves broke into my home and took it, leaving only the brown case.

But I still have my ES335 and like it just as much.

I kind of switched over to semi-hollowbody Gibsons like the ES335 and ES355 in the 70's. I've owned a bunch of those from the 50's too.

Last edited:
I've owned lots of Gibsons and lots of Les Pauls over the passed 50 years. My first was gold top '56. A real one. Traded my Fender Jaguar for it.

In the late 60's and early 70's I used to find '55, '56, '57, '58 and '59 Les Pauls for cheap, then put an ad in Rolling Stone and sell them.

A guy who bought one from me in 1970 contacted me on Facebook last year. He still has the one I sold him. Sent me a photo of Joe Bonnamassa playing it. Joe tried to buy it from him. I sold it to the guy for $1000 in 1970. Times change.

The only Gibson I own now is my old ES335. My '60 ES355 stereo was stolen about 30 years ago. Thieves broke into my home and took it, leaving only the brown case. But I like my ES335 just as much.
I remember those days. I had friends that had old LP gold tops. One had no serial number at all, and the other had only a “4” stamped on the back of the headstock. In the pre-internet days, deals on old guitars were easy pickings. Once “old” became “vintage” those deals became history. Still, it’s cool to remember $400 Les Pauls and $100 blackface Deluxe Reverbs. Those were the days. :)

I remember those days. I had friends that had old LP gold tops. One had no serial number at all, and the other had only a “4” stamped on the back of the headstock. In the pre-internet days, deals on old guitars were easy pickings. Once “old” became “vintage” those deals became history. Still, it’s cool to remember $400 Les Pauls and $100 blackface Deluxe Reverbs. Those were the days. :)
That's exactly right! $400 50's Les pauls that sell for hundreds of thousands now.

I was in high school in the 90s.

All I knew back then was my bad strat copy with a tube screamer, and Peavy Decade amp were not getting the sound I wanted.

I got a cassette of The Song Remains The Same and I've been chasing that tone ever since.

I was in high school in the 90s.

All I knew back then was my bad strat copy with a tube screamer, and Peavy Decade amp were not getting the sound I wanted.

I got a cassette of The Song Remains The Same and I've been chasing that tone ever since.
You have to go back further, like 1970, to find 50's Les Pauls for $400.

The first one i found was a '56 gold top with P90's about 1967. The guy wanted $125 for it but was willing to trade me for my refinished Fender Jaquar.

I didn't have $125 so I traded him my Jaguar for it.

You're gonna hate me, but I painted it POLKA DOT!

We used to do crazy stuff like that to now super valuable guitars.

We knew the Gibsons and Fenders from the 50's were better guitars than those being made by Norlin/Gibson and Fender/CBS in the 60's and 70's.

But they were still just 10 or 15 year old used guitars to the general public and people who'd kept them under a bed.

I used to comb classified ads in the Detroit and Ann Arbor newspapers and once we found four brand new Gibson Firebirds from 1963 and 64 in an Indianapolis Pawn Shop. I bought them all and resold them.

Last edited:
You have to go back further, like 1970, to find Les Pauls for $400.

The first one i found was a '56 gold top with P90's about 1967. The guy wanted $125 for it but was willing to trade me for my refinished Fender Jaquar.

I didn't have $125 so I traded him my Jaguar for it.

You're gonna hate me, but I painted it POLKA DOT!

We used to do crazy stuff like that to now super valuable guitars.
The way I understand it was back then, most were just "old guitars" As it always has been, some were good, and some were dogs. A few were truly epic.
I was born in 1980, so I wasn't around for that era.
Seems like "vintage guitars" as we know it today started in the mid-late 90s.

That said, we've gotten pretty far afield from the original topic - "How different is a SC594 from a LP?"
Answer: not real different.

That said, we've gotten pretty far afield from the original topic - "How different is a SC594 from a LP?"
Answer: not real different.
The OP should spend some serious time playing and comparing both, both unplugged and plugged in, and decide for himself which is a better fit for him.

For me, it would be the PRS...inless it was a magic Les Paul.

But that's me...

Lightest weight doesn't always translate to more resonance. Not always.

I have two 90's CE22's and a '00 CE22, and the heaviest one (the '00) is the most resonant and my favorite.

Last edited:
I kind of switched over to semi-hollowbody Gibsons like the ES335 and ES355 in the 70's. I've owned a bunch of those from the 50's too.

Ever play a CS356? Great guitar. Solid maple top (not veneer like a 335). This is an M2M with a one piece quilt top and a flame maple ‘59 neck carve:

My two main guitars are a McCarty 594 SC from 2018 and a Gibson Les Paul from 1991. There are some similarities, but not too many.

Both have ebony fingerboards, which obviously is not the norm. Both feel exquisite. Both also happen to have similar neck profiles. They are both also very heavy (about 10 pounds).

But that’s where the similarities end. Playing feel is certainly superior on the PRS, although the Gibson plays great too. I prefer the finish and the frets of the PRS. Sonically there is basically 0% overlap. They sound nothing like each other at all.

In fact, my other Gibsons (including LPs) and PRS guitars sound nothing like each other either. The Gibsons sound like Gibsons and the PRSi sound like PRS.

That’s also the reason why I have several guitars from both brands - they have almost nothing incommon except on a superficial level.

Bare in mind, however, that I mostly play low-gain and clean guitars - more Rolling Stones than Slayer. As such the differences between the guitars come through very differently to high-gain metal playing. I would assume that all that distortion would even out some of the differences.

If you want the Gibson sound, you need a Gibson (or a new Epiphone - they are closer to Gibsons than other alternatives IMO). But If you’re sound is mostly dictated by the amp and speakers (as is often the case in metal), I would assume that it is not as apparent.

I haven’t looked at Les Pauls for a long time. I have two that were made before I knew PRS existed. Both sound great when I want to play a bit dirty.

I also have two PRS SC, which are great guitars. I play them more often because they are lighter and have a softer edge leaning against my chest...I guess that amounts to better ergonomics.

I haven’t had any issues with any of them. I did replace the bridge on one of the Les Pauls after owning it for about 30 years. It had been the only electric I played for 7-8 years and might still have more playing time than any of my other electrics.

My favourite to play now is an SC trem with one volume and one tone control.

Back