McCarty SC594 compared to traditional LP's?

xxxadixxx

I will start by saying I love my PRS Guitars, which now make up 100% of my guitar collection. This question comes from a place of curiosity and understanding. I have never had the chance to play an "authentic" Les Paul. By the time I could afford a "real" guitar, I dove all the way into the deep end and purchased my dream guitars (the 5 PRS listed in my signature). My guitars do everything I would want and when combined with amp sims (Amplitube SLO-100 and 5150) I am in guitar heaven.

With all of that said, there is so much history and interest in Les Pauls I am curious about what I am missing. As you could imagine by the guitars and amps I play, my style is high-gain, palm mute heavy, and more rhythm focused. All of my guitars are stock and I find the various stock pick-ups perfect for what I need (almost limitless amps and EQ on the sims can do almost anything with the stock pick-ups).

With that background, I am trying to understand how a McCarty SC594 or even a Tremonti would compare to the current LP models in terms of a high-gain playing situation. What exactly would be different if I picked up a relatively new LP Custom compared to the SC594? I would imagine the Slash LP's higher gain pick-ups would be more similar to the Tremonti maybe? As the two brands play to different markets I understand there are different reasons someone would choose either. Tons of people seem to be drawn to G due the style and history while accepting some of the "design challenges" (read tuning stability, headstock breaks, etc.)

I guess what I am trying to say is when someone talks about the "LP Custom sound" I always felt like I know what they are talking about and I instinctively grab my SC594 or when I watch reviews of the Slash LP, I just look at my Tremonti. In both cases I am more than happy with my guitars, but the G hype has my questioning my thoughts as I have never played either of the LP's in person... Am I looking at this the right way or is there something about the LP's I am missing since I have never actually played one? Also, recently every guitar-related Youtube channel I followed got their dream LP (provided by the Candy pushers..) so I am trying to see if I am missing something.

A little eye candy (even if an older picture): My #1 on the right.
52346074610_c79c67110d_z.jpg

I think I may be in the camp of everyone loves a LP, S and T but as guitar building has moved forward to me there is no denying how that intrinsic playability of PRS guitars sets the standard. Owning examples from 88 to now I just can’t believe how well these (core) guitars are built, sound And play. I guess if you play any guitar long enough you’d feel at home on it however when I’m messing around with another style or brand and come back to a core PRS there’s no doubt which guitar/brand is for me. I also own the above LP, S and T and they all have their place. One last comment like a good song any guitar from most brands can be a ringer. A good guitar is a good guitar.

When I got my first PRS, my '95 Custom 22, I stopped playing my Gibsons and eventually sold all but my ES-335.

Com[pared to a Les Paul, most PRS guitars are a lot more comfortable playing way up high on the neck. You start to get a handfull of body as you get up high on an LP.

If your PRS guitars are 24 fret guitars the neck pickup and bridge pickup will be further apart on the Les Paul. That changes the tone of the neck pickup.

Les Pauls are kind of non-resonant. That was Les Pauls's idea to increase sustain.

I've found my thinner bodied PRS guitars like my CU22 and CE22 to be more lively sounding than a Les paul. More resonant.

Last edited:
This is simply not true. Les Pauls vary in resonance, as do nearly all guitars.

Some have more, some less. The most desirable ones are on the lighter side, and very resonant, especially unplugged.
I said "kind of". What I said is "kind of" true.

Les Pauls don't generate much acoustic tone if you're sitting around playing unplugged.

A block of concrete will resonate a little. So will a Les Paul.

Les Paul didn't want the strings to use up energy making the guitar resonate.

Back in the day I played a lot of low volume gigs in lounge bands doing pop tunes, disco...all kinds of corny crap.

I couldn't use my Les Paul on those gigs. It sounded small and plinky with my Twin Reverb on 2 or 3.

I used my '60 ES-355 with F holes instead so I could get more of a Larry Carlton/BB King tone and hear some warmth and resonanace and get a fuller sound.

Last edited:
Well, for starters there is no telling if it is a dog or a good instrument. Not really the case with PRS ;-)

With all due respect, I disagree, somewhat. If you buy a Custom Shop Les Paul, you can be assured of an outstanding instrument. I own a bunch, and I've never had a dog; ever. Now, I'll agree with your assessment if we're comparing "core" to "core."

Last edited:
With all due respect, I disagree, somewhat. If you buy a Custom Shop Les Paul, you can be assured of an outstanding instrument. I own a bunch, and I've never had a dog; ever. Now, I'll agree with your assessment if were comparing "core" to "core."
Great point. My intent is really to understand the difference with LP Customs and R9’s from my Core SC594 and Tremonti.

Com[pared to a Les Paul, most PRS guitars are a lot more comfortable playing way up high on the neck. You start to get a handfull of body as you get up high on an LP.

I've found my thinner bodied PRS guitars like my CU22 and CE22 to be more lively sounding than a Les paul. More resonant.

Conversely, I find the ANGLE of the neck on a Les Paul to be more comfortable, especially on the lower frets.

As far as "more lively", I find my Les Pauls to have more "growl", which I want for certain genres.

And before I get bashed because this is a PRS forum, it's clearly obvious that I'm a huge fan of PRSi. However, that doesn't mean I can't like blonds, brunettes, and redheads (note to wife: As a window shopper, honey).

With all due respect, I disagree, somewhat. If you buy a Custom Shop Les Paul, you can be assured of an outstanding instrument. I own a bunch, and I've never had a dog; ever. Now, I'll agree with your assessment if we're comparing "core" to "core."
Fair point. Since I am not shopping in or having compared the custom department at PRS or Gibson, I am referring to the core/standard peoduction lines.

You have to play the LP you’re going to compare. Many, perhaps most, are excellent guitars, with great playability and tone, and reasonable weight considering the construction. Some are unusually heavy and are just not as musical. I can’t speak to CS instruments as I’ve never owned one, but if @11top says they are all aces, you can take that to the bank. He knows guitars. For whatever reason, all of the LPCs I’ve played have been on the very heavy side.

My simple description of the 594 is that it’s what LPs mean to be, but sometimes aren’t. Also not light (compared to thinner styles), but uniformly decent in that regard, with excellent playability and the kind of vintage pickup tone I like… less hot, with the nice clarity that brings. You might like hotter pickup tone, and that could be a personal choice for you.

I‘ve two Gibsons in my personal group: a 1972 SG and a 2013 LP Studio. Both are great guitars. The pickups in the SG are similar to the 58/15LT pickups in the 594, which may be why I like them so much. The Studio was a guitar my brother gutted and rebuilt for me as a retirement gift. It also has the Gibson 57 Classic pickups in it, so there’s a pattern developing there!

While I do consider PRS the superior guitar were I just to grab one each off the rack, there is no truth to the idea that Gibson doesn’t make good guitars. We joke about it, but there are great ones out there. On the other hand, I’ve never played a unpleasant 594. If I had to pick one without playing first, it would unquestionably be the 594.

Conversely, I find the ANGLE of the neck on a Les Paul to be more comfortable, especially on the lower frets.

As far as "more lively", I find my Les Pauls to have more "growl", which I want for certain genres.

And before I get bashed because this is a PRS forum, it's clearly obvious that I'm a huge fan of PRSi. However, that doesn't mean I can't like blonds, brunettes, and redheads (note to wife: As a window shopper, honey).
Funny: i prefer the neck angle of my stoptail CU22 and McCarty to my CU24 with tremolo

Fair point. Since I am not shopping in or having compared the custom department at PRS or Gibson, I am referring to the core/standard peoduction lines.
I do own one of both. Small sample size, but worth noting.
2008 PRS DGT
2019 Les Paul Standard 50s.

I'll mention something else: the one piece Gibson neck/peghead is not a good design. It breaks easily and you see lots of Les Pauls with repaired pegheads where it snapped off at the nut.

That's because the peghead angles back so severely that the straight wood grain that follows the length of the neck is only about 1" long at the point where the peghead starts to angle back.

Stress follows that short grain and the peghead snaps off when the case falls over or some other trauma happens.

PRS guitars with mahogany necks are suceptable to this break too, but ask yourself this:

How many Les Pauls have you seen with repaired pegheads? Answer: Many

How many PRS guitars have you seen with repaired pegheads? Answer: Not many...but it happens

In terms of differences, there's one big difference right there.

This guy explains it well: https://hazeguitars.com/blog/why-do-gibson-headstocks-break

Last edited:
I've stated repeatedly over the years that IMO, nobody make a core instrument as reliably, consistantly, and good as PRS.
Probably true. Variance in manufacturing is a tough pickle of a problem for anyone that makes actual things.

You have to play the LP you’re going to compare. Many, perhaps most, are excellent guitars, with great playability and tone, and reasonable weight considering the construction. Some are unusually heavy and are just not as musical. I can’t speak to CS instruments as I’ve never owned one, but if @11top says they are all aces, you can take that to the bank. He knows guitars. For whatever reason, all of the LPCs I’ve played have been on the very heavy side.

My simple description of the 594 is that it’s what LPs mean to be, but sometimes aren’t. Also not light (compared to thinner styles), but uniformly decent in that regard, with excellent playability and the kind of vintage pickup tone I like… less hot, with the nice clarity that brings. You might like hotter pickup tone, and that could be a personal choice for you.

I‘ve two Gibsons in my personal group: a 1972 SG and a 2013 LP Studio. Both are great guitars. The pickups in the SG are similar to the 58/15LT pickups in the 594, which may be why I like them so much. The Studio was a guitar my brother gutted and rebuilt for me as a retirement gift. It also has the Gibson 57 Classic pickups in it, so there’s a pattern developing there!

While I do consider PRS the superior guitar were I just to grab one each off the rack, there is no truth to the idea that Gibson doesn’t make good guitars. We joke about it, but there are great ones out there. On the other hand, I’ve never played a unpleasant 594. If I had to pick one without playing first, it would unquestionably be the 594.
Perfect reply. I appreciate the provided comparison. I read this as the fundamental tone/experience is not too far apart while there are likely differences in consistency. Comparing a (good) stock LP Custom and stock SC594 would not lead an earth shattering difference, i.e. HSS Strat vs SC594. If that is accurate, then it sounds like it answers my original question (paraphrased) "If I am happy with my SC594, am I missing anything significant from the experience I would get with a LP Custom?"

Well, for starters there is no telling if it is a dog or a good instrument. Not really the case with PRS ;-)

The overall quality from PRS is more consistent than from Gibson,

but...

I have played PRS guitars that were dogs.
Nobody gets it perfect every time.
Nobody.

and...

When Gibson gets it right,
they slam dunk it out of the park.

(Happy mixed metaphor day!)

Last edited:
Back