Mark Holcomb Ltd Edition

Awesome dude! I wonder how many Holcombs will make their way up north?

I'm extremely interested in knowing the number, actually. I had wondered about that a few days. With the exchange rate being so whacked right now, I'm not sure how many Canadians are comfortable paying that much for a guitar.

I'd imagine, including retailers, that there was probably a good number of them sold. I'm hoping we find out at some point the total number that were ordered worldwide. Admittedly, I want to know for the bragging rights, lol.

"I'm one out of 200 people that own this guitar". Has a lovely ring to it.

I think it is cool that the Holcomb is a limited and very unique/special instrument. But I actually hope they sell alot of these and the Dusty Waring siggies. Why? Because these are both really cool, progressive models and good sales could means 1) more cool, limited models or 2) iterations of these models or specs making it to production instruments. Both of which are wins for us! Like I have said before: specing a Holcomb style guitar in private stock is very costly. The Waring and Holcomb give us a chance to get very spec-unique guitars at core prices. So if they do well.....who knows what is next! :)

Also.....in for the Holcomb model band! Haha!

I get that. Thing is, I've seen so many companies, be it with guitars, or PCs, or mobile phones, etc, that try to reach everyone. PRS does guitars and they do it well, but their CU24 is the epitome of what PRS is to me. If they start doing mass production of random specced guitars, I'm afraid that they'll lose touch with what sold me on them in the first place. That said, it would be nice to finally have all of the PRS quality in a very new metal orientated guitar.

You won't regret the decision to join the Holcomb band!

I agree with both of you. While I love the idea of more PRS guitars geared towards metal, I'm afraid of the potential decrease in quality from too many market offerings. I feel they're in somewhat of a sweet spot for variety of model choices without sacrificing quality control and would be afraid of damaging that reputation. Of course, I thought that was going to happen when they first started offering the SE and S2 lines but they managed to clean it up quickly after the first round of less than desirable SE's.

I get that. Thing is, I've seen so many companies, be it with guitars, or PCs, or mobile phones, etc, that try to reach everyone. PRS does guitars and they do it well, but their CU24 is the epitome of what PRS is to me. If they start doing mass production of random specced guitars, I'm afraid that they'll lose touch with what sold me on them in the first place. That said, it would be nice to finally have all of the PRS quality in a very new metal orientated guitar.

You won't regret the decision to join the Holcomb band!

I agree with both of you. While I love the idea of more PRS guitars geared towards metal, I'm afraid of the potential decrease in quality from too many market offerings. I feel they're in somewhat of a sweet spot for variety of model choices without sacrificing quality control and would be afraid of damaging that reputation. Of course, I thought that was going to happen when they first started offering the SE and S2 lines but they managed to clean it up quickly after the first round of less than desirable SE's.

It reads like you guys believe if PRS were to introduce new lines or models that they would somehow forget how to build the existing lines and maintain their quality.

Huh? I'm having trouble following the 'logic.' What has PRS ever done to make you think this???

BTW, I have a very early Sanatana SE and that thing is a beast. I play it every bit as much as my HBI Goldtop.

It reads like you guys believe if PRS were to introduce new lines or models that they would somehow forget how to build the existing lines and maintain their quality.

Huh? I'm having trouble following the 'logic.' What has PRS ever done to make you think this???

BTW, I have a very early Sanatana SE and that thing is a beast. I play it every bit as much as my HBI Goldtop.

I never said that they will, I said I'd be afraid that they will. I also based that off of knowledge from a lot of the tech industry. The problem, if it exists(ed) would be how they scale it. If they find the Holcomb and Waring sig models to be a new breath of life for them and they start venturing down the road of more metal appointed instruments, without scaling the proper channels to handle demand, quality could go down. This has never been an issue in the past with PRS, that I'm aware of, I'm just saying it COULD happen. Could happen to anyone.

I'm a fan of Apple products. Yet they're talking about helping with an AppleCar and AppleHome, etc... As much as I like Apple, they're trying to be Google and take over upcoming sections of the marketplace. It's great if they do it well. That said, if they do it poorly, it could hurt the rest of their product line, which would be problematic for me.

I don't want PRS to see that people want X guitar with Y features and decide to go full force into that area without considering how to keep quality as consistent as possible.

If they do it well, I would welcome it with open arms.

I'm sure, once upon a time, someone could have said the same thing about Gibson. Fact of the matter is, nothing is forever. Things change. People retire/die, leadership/focus changes. Any number of these things could happen. While those aren't directly related to adding product offerings, it's just an example that in any business there are too many things at play to just count on a mindset of "continue trying and it'll continue to be good".

Don't get me wrong, I'm a PRS fan-boy, always have been and always will be, and I will always be rooting for their company/products success. What I was saying wasn't so much a prediction as it was a hope that my worst fears don't become reality.

as for the SE's...you have your experiences and I can't tell you they're wrong so I guess we're left with "agree to disagree". :D

I never said that they will, I said I'd be afraid that they will. I also based that off of knowledge from a lot of the tech industry. The problem, if it exists(ed) would be how they scale it. If they find the Holcomb and Waring sig models to be a new breath of life for them and they start venturing down the road of more metal appointed instruments, without scaling the proper channels to handle demand, quality could go down. This has never been an issue in the past with PRS, that I'm aware of, I'm just saying it COULD happen. Could happen to anyone.

I'm a fan of Apple products. Yet they're talking about helping with an AppleCar and AppleHome, etc... As much as I like Apple, they're trying to be Google and take over upcoming sections of the marketplace. It's great if they do it well. That said, if they do it poorly, it could hurt the rest of their product line, which would be problematic for me.

I don't want PRS to see that people want X guitar with Y features and decide to go full force into that area without considering how to keep quality as consistent as possible.

If they do it well, I would welcome it with open arms.

I'm sure, once upon a time, someone could have said the same thing about Gibson. Fact of the matter is, nothing is forever. Things change. People retire/die, leadership/focus changes. Any number of these things could happen. While those aren't directly related to adding product offerings, it's just an example that in any business there are too many things at play to just count on a mindset of "continue trying and it'll continue to be good".

Don't get me wrong, I'm a PRS fan-boy, always have been and always will be, and I will always be rooting for their company/products success. What I was saying wasn't so much a prediction as it was a hope that my worst fears don't become reality.

as for the SE's...you have your experiences and I can't tell you they're wrong so I guess we're left with "agree to disagree". :D

Shauncho is in the right area, methinks.
I have had the privilege of meeting, talking to and listening to PRSh and I am certain that as long as he is at the helm, quality control will continue to be an example for the rest of the industry.

This is not analogous to a tech company or Google trying to enter ever diverse markets. PRS is a guitar and amp company. As far as I know, they have no aspirations to build cars or computers, sell refrigerators or invent and market a killer new mustard. The move to a new guitar design is incremental: build on what you already know works. They aren't throwing darts at a board with various as yet unmade guitar features or designs, changes are purposeful, researched and developed.

I trust the man to steer the ship. I think you can relax on the quality control front.

Last edited:
Not to open this up but I believe the company sort of needs to have more of a focus on these up and coming players and thus introduce guitars geared towards these players and their fans. Of course, while maintaining their quality control. I think this model and the DW are steps in the right direction. Perhaps they should introduce a new guitar such as these that cater to the up and coming guitarists every six months.......and for all I know that may be exactly what they are doing.

Shauncho is in the right area, methinks.
I have had the privilege of meeting, talking to and listening to PRSh and I am certain that as long as he is at the helm, quality control will continue to be an example for the rest of the industry.

This is not analogous to a tech company or Google trying to enter ever diverse markets. PRS is a guitar and amp company. As far as I know, they have no aspirations to build cars or computers, sell refrigerators or invent and market a killer new mustard. The move to a new guitar design is incremental: build on what you already know works. They aren't throwing darts at a board with various as yet unmade guitar features or designs, changes are purposeful, researched and developed.

I trust the man to steer the ship. I think you can relax on the quality control front.

I think Shauncho and I are saying pretty much identical things, he's just wording his a bit better.

I'm all for innovation as long as it's done well and doesn't affect the quality or reliability of what PRS is known for. It's great to see them bringing in artists like Mark Holcomb, Dustie Waring, Aaron Marshall, etc. I follow all of them and love their music. My issue is more hypothetical than anything.

That said, if PRS did make a new mustard, I'd buy it.

Let's get back on topic, though. No need to derail this thread any further.

main1.jpg

I think Shauncho and I are saying pretty much identical things, he's just wording his a bit better.

I'm all for innovation as long as it's done well and doesn't affect the quality or reliability of what PRS is known for. It's great to see them bringing in artists like Mark Holcomb, Dustie Waring, Aaron Marshall, etc. I follow all of them and love their music. My issue is more hypothetical than anything.

I understand what you guys are saying. It just strikes me as odd that you both are worried about something which has such a low likelihood given PRS's phenomenal attention to detail. There are sooo many far likelier bad things in life to worry about.

That said, if PRS did make a new mustard, I'd buy it.

I'm going to go out on a limb and agree. Given Paul's devotion to doing things right, it really would be an exceptional mustard!

I understand what you guys are saying. It just strikes me as odd that you both are worried about something which has such a low likelihood given PRS's phenomenal attention to detail. There are sooo many far likelier bad things in life to worry about.

I'm going to go out on a limb and agree. Given Paul's devotion to doing things right, it really would be an exceptional mustard!

You're probably right, chances are it's a highly unlikely scenario...

and yes, I too would buy that mustard and i'm sure it'd be the most amazing hot dog in the world. hopefully after he sees this thread and decides to start making mustard he jars them all in quilted maple. :D

Last edited:
Back