Make my McCarty rock!

57/08 or even 57/09 would be great options as well.
These are tops on my list of recommendation too. They'll get there for sure.

Love my Tremonti and dying to try the Metals. A set that doesn't get talked about enough that are fantastic is the DW tomahawks, fantastic.

Well I dove in with 3 band parametric EQ, used my ears to scoop out the mud (300-400 hz) and instantly the crunch and consistency surfaced. This even allowed me to boost at 2.5 khz for more fatness. Did a cut around 4.5 khz to tame some harshness and dang it is sounding really, really good. Very "PRS-ey". Looking forward to more playing and testing... would love to not swap pickups because as soon as I swap pickups my brain goes "let's keep doing this!" and then I swap pickups forever. Will keep y'all posted if I have any other revelations but so far the surgical EQ has done wonders for the sound.

Well I dove in with 3 band parametric EQ, used my ears to scoop out the mud (300-400 hz) and instantly the crunch and consistency surfaced. This even allowed me to boost at 2.5 khz for more fatness. Did a cut around 4.5 khz to tame some harshness and dang it is sounding really, really good. Very "PRS-ey". Looking forward to more playing and testing... would love to not swap pickups because as soon as I swap pickups my brain goes "let's keep doing this!" and then I swap pickups forever. Will keep y'all posted if I have any other revelations but so far the surgical EQ has done wonders for the sound.
EQ is a GREAT call.

I didn't like the 58/15LT's for much of anything. Even with a boost, with hours of tinkering. It's characteristics sortve drove me mad.

Remove the pickups and sell them. Put in 57/08's. Call it a day. There is no other solution I've been here as well.

I didn't like the 58/15LT's for much of anything. Even with a boost, with hours of tinkering. It's characteristics sortve drove me mad.

Remove the pickups and sell them. Put in 57/08's. Call it a day. There is no other solution I've been here as well.
Gotta agree.

It is awesome you got there and it sounds like we both followed a similar route, i.e. EQ. It was a very frustrating journey for me personally as I really like my DC594. I find the 58/15LT+ in my SC594 to be a lot better at handling the high gain stuff than the DC version. I have no experience with the SE or S2 version, but if there is that much of a difference between just between the DC and SC core pick-ups, I imagine each of them all have their own voices.

Rather than swap the pickups I relegated the DC to standard tuning mid gain stuff... and then bought more guitars. I swear this forum is full of Enablers! For the high gain stuff, my DC594 is the last of my guitars I grab. As @SinSir stated above, the Tremonti pick-ups really shine for for this application. I keep a Tremonti in Drop C, D-Standard, and E-Standard :cool:, because they fit everything so well.

Best of luck to you.

Y

I guess it’s the old “one man’s trash is another man’s treasure”. I love the low mid “growl” that the 58/15LT’s. But I can understand for higher gain sounds it might not be useful.

My first 594 had the original pickups, when they were using the same pickups for both neck and bridge, and imo they weren’t the best matched. And in doing some research a lot of people recommends the 57/08’s and 59/09’s for a hotter but still similar paf kind of thing. And it seems the 57/08 neck and 59/09 bridge is a popular combo. If you do decide to swap pickups.

There's a Dragon 1 bridge pickup on Reverb. Not mine. If it was mine I wouldn't sell it.

Anyway, if one of those doesn't make your McCarty rock there's no hope for it.

So I was watching That Pedal Show last week where they were trying to tame a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and made the following eq changes:
Cut @ 4 kHz.
Slight boost @ 1-2 kHz.

I did the same and also cut some bass out at 300-400 hz.

So far it sounds great with every guitar I played, especially my MC 594 SE.

So I was watching That Pedal Show last week where they were trying to tame a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and made the following eq changes:
Cut @ 4 kHz.
Slight boost @ 1-2 kHz.

I did the same and also cut some bass out at 300-400 hz.

So far it sounds great with every guitar I played, especially my MC 594 SE.
Must be on to something!!

Aldrich PUP are absolutely amazing! They will make it really sting

Back