Make my McCarty rock!

alex1fly

2023 S2 McCarty 594, doublecut, 58/15LT pickups. I got it (used at a killer deal) to have a PRS S2 with a thick neck. I'm having a hard time making it rock though. It'll do classic rock and blues just fine but anything 80s-90s-00s hard rock is not working well. It was weak so I raised the pickups; this made it really bloated sounding so I lowered the pickups and raised the polepieces; this got me some more clarity in the sound but it's lacking in the punch and evenness that I'm looking for even with EQ and various boost settings. Any thoughts on what to try next? Keep tweaking EQ/heights/signal chain? Different pickup? Or did I goof by getting this guitar?

My reference tones are my 1998 LP Studio with 498t; PRS SE Custom 24 with 85/15s; SG with EMG 85s. That's what I'm going for. The S2 McCarty acts and sounds more like a Strat with low output single coils - jangly clean and fuzzy with distortion.

Well, I have the Core 594 with 58/15LT pickups, and they work great for low-gain applications, which is what I primarily go for. From your list of reference tones, though, your other guitars definitely have hotter pickups, so I would likely lean toward that direction. If you want to stay within the PRS realm of things, a set of 85/15s or something along those lines would probably do the trick.

I have the core DC594 and struggled for a bit with the same issue. While I primarily use amp models (Amplitube and Amp Roots) the general approach may be helpful. I prefer to have a similar rig regardless of the guitar and as such use only slight adjustments to go from my DC594 to SC594 to Tremonti. The biggest difference is in the 10 band EQ where I have a slight boost to the mids (500 - 1k) and on the gain. This goes into a TS used as a clean boost, with a slightly higher level for the DC594. I use either an SLO or a 5150 for the amp. The only difference on the amp is a small increase on the presence and lows for the DC.

This allows me to cover everything from Black Sabbath and Bad Religion on the low gain side to Metallica, Parkway Drive, Deftones, and Mastadon on the higher gain side. I hope that helps.

I’d say you’re better off reselling your pickups if you’re happy with the way the guitar looks and feels. Even if it’s the S version. I’m sure others are curious to try them and would purchase

I can certainly rock out with the
DRAGON 1's
If only PRS would make them again. Paul always says if an item sells, they'll keep making it.

Those would sell. All he has to do is start making them and price them reasonably...like alot less than $400 per set.

I have an easy time rocking out with any of my guitars, even if they have PAF's like the 57/08.

Just need a great amp and great overdrive pedal.

I like the Klon KTR or J Rockett "Jeff" model for Klons.

And I like to goose my Hot Cake with a Klon set as a clean boost.

The J Rockett is reasonably priced so I have three.

One is used as an "always on" clean boost with the Gain on zero.

Last edited:
Your post made me think of an old Steve Martin routine. Bought a stereo system and didn't like the sound. Then he heard about quadraphonic and bought that. And the high from that purchase didn't last. He moved on to the dodecophonic (12 speakers), milliphonic (1,000) and then finally the googlephonic (number nearest infinity). But something was still lacking. Then he thought.... maybe it's the record needle.

If only someone made what I would call a boost or overdrive pedal.

Last edited:
Your post made me think of an old Steve Martin routine. Bought a stereo system and didn't like the sound. Then he heard about quadraphonic and bought that. And the high from that purchase didn't last. He moved on to the dodecophonic (12 speakers), milliphonic (1,000) and then finally the googlephonic (number nearest infinity). But something was still lacking. Then he thought.... maybe it's the record needle.

If only someone made what I would call a boost or overdrive pedal.
Cute story but all my standard boost and OD tricks aren't getting me there. This isn't my first rodeo dialing in a guitar. If you have any tips it'd be great to hear them as it'd be lovely to leave this guitar stock rather than start tinkering in there. I can get enough output and dirt with pedals but its more flubby and less crunchy which is the problem I'm hoping to solve.

Different pickups is the answer. Not sure how much I can help on which ones because your ear and/or playing style sounds different than mine by reading this post and another on different board.

Maybe you meant 58/15LT"S" instead of 58/15LT? I wouldn't say the core version would be my first choice for the sound your chasing but they can go there. The S version in the se, I didn't care for much and would replace anyhow.

Cute story but all my standard boost and OD tricks aren't getting me there. This isn't my first rodeo dialing in a guitar. If you have any tips it'd be great to hear them as it'd be lovely to leave this guitar stock rather than start tinkering in there. I can get enough output and dirt with pedals but its more flubby and less crunchy which is the problem I'm hoping to solve.
Yeah sorry, was in a mood earlier, just playing with you.

It’s your ears, so go with that. I will suggest you try more boosts and OD’s first, there’s a reason there are so many, they don’t all have the same tonal result. I have a Helix, so have the luxury of many such models at my fingertips. No way I could suggest a specific one, there’s just too many variables. Best of luck finding what works for you!

BKP Aftermath
BKP Rebel Yell
BKP NailBomb
Suhr Aldrich
Duncan Alpha & Omega Set
PRS Metal
PRS Tremonti

Do you ever experiment with strings? I have pretty much stuck to the standard nickel wound XLs, but marketing suggests some of those NYXL or Cobalt strings will give you a more aggressive tone. I hardly change strings, so I don’t know how much impact it will make, but it might be worth exploring.

BKP Aftermath
BKP Rebel Yell
BKP NailBomb
Suhr Aldrich
Duncan Alpha & Omega Set
PRS Metal
PRS Tremonti
You forgot the BKP Abraxas.

That's the set I bought.

At first I put them in a Bernie Marsden but they didn't get a sound that really excited me in that guitar.

Then I moved them to my '00 CE22 and I totally love them in that guitar.

Guess the Abraxas just "resonates" with the resonance of that old and abused CE22.

Although it's much loved and well cared for now.

A higher output set of pickups is probably going to be needed. If you want to stick with PRS pickups, give the Tremonti set a spin, or, if you can track down a set, the Dragon I. The PRS \m/ set is also a solid option. If you want to move away from PRS Pickups, there's plenty of options, there's the tried and true Duncan JB/59 combo, the Nazgul and Sentient set, or the Invaders. From DiMarzio you have the Pandemonium, the Crunch Lab and the Evolutions. For Bare Knuckle, there's the Emerald, the Magic Man, the Ragnarok, Juggernaught, and Cold Sweat. If you want to go active, there's plenty to choose from in the EMG lineup, but I do like the retro actives that they have, especially the Hot 70. And of course, you could always go for the Fishman Fluence Modern if you want to give your self tone option overload.

Back