Locking tremelo

Flatty

I just bought a PRS private stock. It is a beautiful thing. It sounds great when I dare play it.
I don't like tremelo arms though.
Is it barbarity to get it locked down by a luthier?

When you say "locked down by a luthier" you mean decking or blocking it so that it doesn't float? If so, then no, that is not an issue.

If, on the other hand, you mean replacing the existing trem with something like a Floyd Rose locking trem, then I could see that possibly becoming an issue depending on who does the install. I would send it to the PTC or someone like Joe Knaggs* for that kind of work to ensure it looks like it was built that from the factory.

* I'm not sure if Joe will work on the occasional PRS guitar or if he only builds his own these days, but he worked at PRS for 25 years and has a lot of experience with them.

I agree with drp. I have the trem arm out of most of my trem equipped PRSi. Solves the problem. Bending changes just a little between stoptails and trems, but nothing else seems to be an issue.

And on another topic, don't be afraid to play the crap out of that PS. Unless you bought it to look at, play it. They're not fragile. Put some miles on it. A smile on your face is worth more than a blemish on the finish.

I meant blocking it so it doesn't float. I rest my hand on the bridge a lot. I've played an invader so much that it's just become a bad habit.
Without locking it, I bend the strings by resting Mt hand too heavily.

Blocking it won't be an issue at all.
Try it first with the small block of wood in the rear cavity, between the bridge block and body method
(Leaving the bridge in the correct "resting" position) ....you'll get an idea of how it will feel first.
Than you can try a fancier method of blocking, if that's even necessary.

Oh, and Congrats!!!!!

I used to play a LP with fixed bridge. When I went to PRS it felt different, but after a short time there was NO issue with resting my hand on the trem, or using the side of my palm to mute....

Give it a little time!!!

Back