Let's talk gear that blew you away from the first note!

I have some of the old Rock Modules (still seeking a stereo echo, those things are nowhere to be found anymore). I plug in once in a while when I want to be the teenager I was with an X-100. I still remember a magazine article with a photo of Scholz in his studio with all the rack mount gear.
They were pretty popular until the world went full digital(which just reminded me of another piece of gear that blew me away).

I just dug mine out for fun. As you will notice, unlike you, mine haven't been used for a while. 😂

Apparently I lost the headphones for the X100.

fwq3mQi.jpg

One Good, One Bad...Here Goes.

I Was Blown Away The First Time I Played A Wah Pedal. I Remember Thinking What A Terrible Sounding Thing And I Couldn't Control It So That Effect Has Been Very Short Lived For Me And I Am OK With That.

The Other Was The Original ADA Flanger Unit. I Remember The First Time I Played That And Was Blown Away And Thought That It Was Cool And Could Be Of Some Use. It Is Still One Of The Best Sounding Pedals Of Its Kind I Have Ever Played. :)

They were pretty popular until the world went full digital(which just reminded me of another piece of gear that blew me away).

I just dug mine out for fun. As you will notice, unlike you, mine haven't been used for a while. 😂

Apparently I lost the headphones for the X100.

fwq3mQi.jpg
Hopefully those bring back some memories. I think there is a place for analog effects.

The first thing ever- A modded Marshall Stack I played for a few minutes in a music store (old story about the guy who got mad at me for playing his guitar).
Second - my Les Paul Custom. It TOTALLY had that classic Les Paul sound, but I hated the upper fret access, didn’t like the neck profile, and it was HEAVY!
Last twenty years- The Archon. I rolled through a bunch of amps before I got it. Sold a bunch after I got it, and haven’t bought hardly any since.

And, The EBMM Axis, EBMM JP12 BFR, PRS Anniversary Custom 22 Semi Hollow LTD, Custom 24 and NF3. All five of those guitars are just crazy great and I smile every time I pick any one of them up. I had high hopes the Silver Sky would do the same. I think that the fretboard radius will keep that from happening.

I'm sorry I cannot say any PRS core or SE blew me away (I own 2 SE and have been playing cores at work recently) but It takes alot for any guitar to truly impress me though.

However, I was truly impressed with the Positive Grid Spark amp line and the Marshall Studio JTM20. It's no wonder people are willing to pay twice for those.

The first one I played over 35 years ago blew my mind , I couldn't afford one until last year. Now Im blessed to have one of each, they both blow my mind . The sound you are always searching for but couldn't replicate .. instantly .. My Alembics

.LO Z outs really make the modulation effects pop .

If you ever complain about PRS PS $$ .. ( I have 3.. and don't they were worth every penny)

Go have a look at their price list some time .. as they ONLY build customs its ....... an investment

Sir would you like to replace that flame maple with Burl Brazilian Rosewood, and XLR out ?? Sure thing .. Cha Ching ..

fvb7l3e9z4ocpguiktv7.jpg
I have never seen one of these. Is that a MIDI out?

yes .. they will build ANYTHING. Remember John Enwhistles wild basses? That being said , and as much as I love them , I play my PRSi almost exclusively
I love The Who, but I didn't realize Entwhistle played Alembic basses. Pretty cool actually.

I decided to put some thought into this and I have two more things. One was the DSP 16. I love presets and there was a preset in the "Rooms" category (delay) that blew me away and changed my sound forever.

The other was the Yamaha GW 50 sequencer. When you can play any rhythm at any time, the need to jam with other musicians for anything more than fun is gone. Self improvement on lead can become a daily thing instead of once a week at jams. Changed my musical direction forever.

MY3IdKX.jpg GW

ilxyExk.jpg

My SE Bernie Marsden.

As soon as I got it out of the box and put my hands on the neck I knew I’d made the right choice. I’ve upgraded the pups and the bridge, etc, but that just enhanced what was and remains an incredible guitar!

20171230_215551 by MikeGBlues, on Flickr

Laney Lionheart L5T-112.

Stunning sounding 5 watt valve amp. Just a shame I can’t turn it up as often as I’d like!

SDC10588 by MikeGBlues, on Flickr

Fender American Professional 2 Strat.

Finally ended my search for the perfect Strat. Took 3 attempts at the Pro series to get one I liked. First was a bit lifeless. Sold it after a couple of years when the Pro 2 came out. First one sent had some major QC issues but the replacement is just about as perfect a guitar as you can get. Yeah, yeah… I haven’t owned a core PRS yet. One day.

Similar to the PS page for our Beauties ..... an adventure in droolsville .. http://alembic.com/info/fcvault.html

The basses IMHO are simply the best, the guitars are VERY subjective. They are by far the CLEANEST sounding instruments which is why Garcia used them .. his were of course wired in stereo with an onboard buffer amp .. Tiger took 2000 hrs to build ... it went for just over a million when Jim Irsay bought it ( Colts owner) . I'm a tie died in the wool life long Dead head so for me it was worth the investment but I only play it for that style music . All my PRSi get WAY more play

Back