Is this PRS a bastard one-off, custom order or something else?

twhitehead

My first post here and I hope it works out OK

I picked up this piece in around 1994-95 from Guitar, Guitar in Sherman Oaks, CA (Locals will probably remember this store).

Here's what appears to have been altered:
1. Locking tuners (holes exist for Gibson style tulips on back of headstock)
2. Bone nut
3. Moved front strap button to back (why???) and previous hole patched
4. Replaced PU selector with Gibson style
5. Installed sweet switch

From my research, the only guitar getting close to this config (Gibson tail/bridge, 3 knobs, locking tuners) would be a limited edition. However, all the hardware is chrome, not gold and there's no gold sharpie writing on the back of the headstock.

Since installing Loller Imperial low winds (originally had Duncan DCJs and I'm don't think they were stock) and creating some switching options (no reason to keep this guy stock, right?) , this has become my #1 "run back into a burning building" guitar. I'm not looking to sell it, I'm just interested in finding just what it is. I'm more than happy with everything; warts and all.

Thanks in advance.

PRS6_zps7322a18d.jpg
PRS8_zps13f39a29.jpg
PRS1_zps538f169f.jpg
PRS4_zpsaf6324f7.jpg
PRS2_zps5b83d951.jpg
PRS5_zps6c5ba534.jpg
PRS7_zpsb82de8fe.jpg

The serial number agrees with a 1990 model as does the 0 starting digit.

Looks like a signature and not sticker on the headstock. Along with the two piece bridge seems to indicate a signature limited but would have a written in ink with the number of it in the run. Nice guitar in any case.

Is there anything written in the pickup cavitities? My 1991 Artist 1 says "Artist Series" in the neck pickup cavity and on the back of the headstock.

P1060517.jpg

That's what I'm thinking too, Mark. It's within 74 of mine.

But if it's a solid body, its not a rejected LE.

Looks like a 1990 Limited Edition that may have been tinkered with by the owner. It should have a cedar top, gold hardware, and birds if that's the case. Knobs, sweet switch, tuners, bridge and tailpiece are easy mods, but the lack of birds is puzzling and I can't tell whether that top is maple or cedar.

Definitely a maple top. They -did- make Maple topped Limited Editions...

But... The lack of birds is puzzling, and the top is not what they typically put on those guitars. Too many mineral streaks, and the flame drops out a lot on the bass side...

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;170577 said:
Can you post a close up shot of the output plate? I'd like to see it it's semi-hollow.

It's just a standard single 1/4" jack. Also, it is a solid body and it is a maple top. Finally, the flame drop out is an optical effect. When looking at a certain angle, the flame is nearly transparent, but at another angle it appears better matched, but it's definitely not book matched. And there are black streaks in the wood.

Last edited:
It's just a standard single 1/4" jack. Also, it is a solid body and it is a maple top. Finally, the flame drop out is an optical effect. When looking at a certain angle, the flame is nearly transparent, but at another angle it appears better matched, but it's definitely not book matched. And there are black streaks in the wood.

Hans asks for a picture of the standard single 1/4" jack in order to understand the depth of the body. The semihollows are a little deeper. No f-holes so they look like normal solid bodies...

I think the maple sig LE would have had all gold hardware and birds - also they feel very lightweight so you can tell almost just by picking them up that they aren't solid.

front_zpsb18c3617.jpg

They did do some regular sigs with stop tails but that would have had something on the headstock:

small.jpg

I think they did do tuneomatic bridges if people asked for them - maybe it was a proto for something or an artist guitar or just someone rang up and asked for that bridge on a regular guitar.

Oh and I personally like the top... very vintagey....
Any pics of the pickup cavities? Sometimes there are things written in the treble pickup cavity that reveal a lot for the guitar...

Here are some pics from inside the pickup well and the output jack. I also included a shot to better show the bookmatching.

BTW, the guitar weighs 7.5 lbs.

PRS12_zpsd544899e.jpg
PRS11_zps2cddd052.jpg
PRS10_zpsf5537c6f.jpg
PRS13_zpse4f11d70.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a normal Cu24 solidbody, that someone has ordered with a 2 piece bridge.

Definitely NOT semi-hollow. Looks like a special order tune-o-matic...

They did make them, now and then...

Back