Is this a "one piece" top? and..

sjsamaha

I'm also curious what you all think of the filled in F-hole design aesthetic?? I called PRS and they claim it has no real effect on tone, but more an aesthetic...

I must confess I do like it as a "Different" way of doing artistic inlay work, and I'm sure it helps a bit with humidity changes.. More surface for the sound to bounce off, and less feedback issues?

(Sorry for the link, but I can't figure out how else to post an image of this)

Last edited:
but look at it, there's not an exact symmetry between the two halves, I don't think it's book... but I'm not really sure I guess.
There's no specific reason--other than visual appeal/symmetry--that it even needs to be the same bookmatched piece, though. And with the grains running along the axis of the body/neck, it'd probably be pretty easy to hide a seam in there. I'm just playing devil's advocate here...

but look at it, there's not an exact symmetry between the two halves, I don't think it's book... but I'm not really sure I guess.
Looks like a seam to me...
The bands of darker grain on either side of the bridge, lends me to believe it's 2-piece as well.

Screenshot-20240529-192015-Chrome.jpg

I was reading the description that Sweetwater put, and it implies single piece. But I still also don’t see any symmetry, even if there is arguably a seam in the middle. 🤷🏻

I was reading the description that Sweetwater put, and it implies single piece. But I still also don’t see any symmetry, even if there is arguably a seam in the middle. 🤷🏻
I'm using some artistic license in my mind's eye...
I can 'see' it, given what could have happened in cutting, joining, planing, sanding, etc.

I'm imagining a slight transition layer that might make sense.

I am in the two piece camp! I think I can see some symmetry with grouped bands especially between the pups. They are not perfect, but when it is split, the kerf takes some wood and then the sanding takes some wood, so it is often not a perfect mirror. With the vertical grain, very difficult to tell either way. Before I dropped that kind of coin, I would want to know (as I LOVE one piece tops) and ask the dealer to give me a definitive answer. I do not like the F-Hole fill at all. First of all, why? Second of all, using flame maple to fill that in clashes horribly with the grain of the Ebony top IMO. If I were going to fill that in with wood (which I wood not), I would have used a burl or some quilt, but not a grain that does not even run perpendicular or parallel to the top's grain. It is beautiful other than that and I would not kick it out of bed ;~))

I am in the two piece camp! I think I can see some symmetry with grouped bands especially between the pups. They are not perfect, but when it is split, the kerf takes some wood and then the sanding takes some wood, so it is often not a perfect mirror. With the vertical grain, very difficult to tell either way. Before I dropped that kind of coin, I would want to know (as I LOVE one piece tops) and ask the dealer to give me a definitive answer. I do not like the F-Hole fill at all. First of all, why? Second of all, using flame maple to fill that in clashes horribly with the grain of the Ebony top IMO. If I were going to fill that in with wood (which I wood not), I would have used a burl or some quilt, but not a grain that does not even run perpendicular or parallel to the top's grain. It is beautiful other than that and I would not kick it out of bed ;~))

I'm going to ask PRS tomorrow actually... I still think there is no symmetry and the "Seem" doesn't pop out no matter how hard I stare.

Back