Considering a private stock order, any thoughts on this configuration?

CakeEater

Hi everyone,

I've been playing PRSi for a number of years now and feel like I'm ready to buy one last guitar built to my personal tastes. I'm certainly not a gear-hoarder and aspire to only one high-quality instrument for each type that I play. I have an acoustic that I'm completely happy with, a ukulele that I'm completely happy with, and now it's time for an electric guitar that I'm completely happy with.

My PRSi choices so far have been great but not perfect, starting with a Livningston Lemondrop DGT and then moving to an Azul 30th Anniversary CU24 later. I did swap the CU24 pickups out for a Lambertones Cream & Grinder set as that was more to my taste.

Here's what I've determined:
I swapped the DGT for the CU24 because I found the pattern-thin neck and slimmer body to be much more comfortable.
I preferred the DGT pickups to the 85/15s, and found them comparable or better than the Lambertones.
I never use positions 2 and 4 on the CU24, and would prefer a 3-way switch and 2 volume knobs like on the DGT to blend in the middle position.
What are the benfefits of ash compared to mahogany?

So I think my ideal customized private stock would be a CU24 body and neck with DGT electronics if that's possible. If it would be considered a better option I'd be comfortable with a CU22 neck, though I'm not sure if they're available in patter-thin. Would this be possible?

Lastly, how much of an upgrade is a one-piece top like this considered? :D
wo3ym6y7lpftditidgti.jpg

Any thoughts or feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

The DGT with a pattern thin 22 fret neck should be possible. I think I have seen that combination. I have no idea on the one piece top. Some of the one piece tops look great and others not as much. I have a one piece quilt on a custom built guitar I own. It looks good on the one I have. Some wood to me just looks better with a good book match, IMHO. Call a dealer or two and run the spec past them and get some prices. That is the best way to find out since you know what you want.

Couple of differences you didn’t mention: DGT has the thicker McCarty style body and larger frets. This is pure speculation on my part, but given how reticent they’ve been to accept major electronics customizations lately I think you might have the best chance asking for a DGT with pattern thin neck versus a CU24 with DGT pickups and switching.

As always, one of the many awesome dealers featured here would be a better point of contact regarding the state of affairs at PS instead of us speculators

I don't think the one piece top is an upgrade.

Why anyone would pay a premium for a one piece top is beyond me. Ok, I get the “rarity” thing, but aesthetically, a good mirror book match blows away a one piece IMO. And I get that beauty is subjective, but I just don’t get it.

Oh, and I have a couple of nice one piece quilts, but I certainly wouldn’t order them from scratch.

Why anyone would pay a premium for a one piece top is beyond me. Ok, I get the “rarity” thing, but aesthetically, a good mirror book match blows away a one piece IMO. And I get that beauty is subjective, but I just don’t get it.

Oh, and I have a couple of nice one piece quilts, but I certainly wouldn’t order them from scratch.
Plus, they don't even have to glue it. Right?

Book-matching is king, though, IMO. Agreed.

I'm a book-match fan myself. I appreciate the artistry involved.

I'm interested in the beauty of the wood when I'm looking to buy like most people - it's a real attention getter - but after the first few days, it's all over and I rarely think about it. So there's no rationale for going after the pretty ones, but I do! ;)

However, I don't special order guitars any more. For the past ten years or so, I've wanted to play them before sealing the deal, and can't do that with a special order. Gotta have both looks and unusually good tone. Fortunately, Gretz puts up with me.

Back