One Day, They'll Put Me Away, And I Need A Way Out.

László

Too Many Notes
One of my son's band's songs has a line I can relate to, and maybe we all can: "One day, they'll put me away, and I need a way out.."

I've interpreted this to mean put away in an old folks' nursing facility, as so often happens to those who've been 'lucky' enough to outlive their societal usefulness. :oops:

Ever since my recent hospitalization, I've been posting and checking the forum even more obsessively than usual. Why? I'm stuck 'taking it easy' while I regain my strength. Which is...boring. But I do need to rest up.

So I come here. I have nothing to contribute 99% of the time. This obsession's the result of my being as close to being 'put away' as I've ever been.

I need a way out!

I'm gonna take a break for a little bit. I'm only posting this so folks don't think I dropped dead.

You'll just have to wait for the party on that one. ;)

Hang in there , I had to take 2 years off , twice in the last decade due to accidents , and surgeries .. when you are at the short end of the rope every day is precious and putting life on hold due to health is the biggest problem with age

Last edited:
I’m in late fall or early winter as well. Take care, heal fast and well. Take time away from here if you need to. I’ll go on record that I enjoy the hell out of 98% of your post, I don’t understand 2%, and I learn something from many of them. Your absence will be missed.

One of my son's band's songs has a line I can relate to, and maybe we all can: "One day, they'll put me away, and I need a way out.."

I've interpreted this to mean put away in an old folks' nursing facility, as so often happens to those who've been 'lucky' enough to outlive their societal usefulness. :oops:

Ever since my recent hospitalization, I've been posting and checking the forum even more obsessively than usual. Why? I'm stuck 'taking it easy' while I regain my strength. Which is...boring. But I do need to rest up.

So I come here. I have nothing to contribute 99% of the time. This obsession's the result of my being as close to being 'put away' as I've ever been.

I need a way out!

I'm gonna take a break for a little bit. I'm only posting this so folks don't think I dropped dead.

Praying for you.
Hey, just because you can’t currently make the strings sing, doesn’t mean that you don’t have nuggets of wisdom that we can benefit from. Also, I found from personal experience, that the guitar is both great physical and mental therapy. It got me through some very rough times, and I believe it’s one of the things keeping this almost 70 year old going strong. Keep fighting. Keep going.

After my botched surgery and nasty infection, I was in a long-term care facility (nursing home) for five months. I was in a section with non-elderly people, but it was not an enjoyable experience over-all. The nurses and staff turned out to be good, and I became good friends with a few, but still.

Just in case I made notes of the buttons pressed to not set off door alarms, the storage room where the keys to facility vehicles were kept, and various other means of possible escape should I need it. It was mostly to help keep my mind occupied as I first rolled, then hobbled around the hallways between times I was attached to an IV, but I had plans.

So I am hoping I will not have to return to such a place. But now I know I wouldn't really have to have such elaborate plans to escape. Just cancel or use up my insurance and they'll toss me out themselves.

EDIT: For more helpful information, keeping active in some way helped in my extended hospitalization. I read a lot, but I also kept notebooks with my thoughts, which helped me process them. I've not read the notebooks since, though, as I know there are intense thoughts in there. But also finding ways to help others, even if just talking with them, and becoming friends with the nurses helped.

I need a way out!

Has the orchestral equivalent of "one hand clapping" been done yet? Perfect time to work on it.

Oh, for another thing to keep the mind occupied while in the hospital, I would listen to the various beeps and whirs and alerts and thunks and whooshes and footsteps and whispers and shouts and intercom static and think of how I could arrange and orchestrate all that for a symphony.

Back