Is PRS guitars a victim of reverse snobbery?

I don't know that I've ever been approached by anyone in Hawaii that doesn't think my Mccarty is a fine guitar. Even so, Who cares, I didn't ask them to buy it for me..

Right said, Les.

giphy.gif

Haha, cheeky!;)

To be honest, the reverse snobbery isn't what originally attracted me to PRS guitars. But, at least in part, it actually helps me to bond with the ones I have owned. Kind of an "us against the world" kind of thing. :D

I'm a snob against Gibson and Fender guitars. They look classic and iconic but they don't stay in tune, play in tune or have comfortable necks.

All snobbery does is make us feel better about being at one end of the spectrum or the other. A better approach would be to remain centered or unpolarized, but this is a world of competing opposites. In lieu we try to balance them by convincing ourselves the imbalance is wholly warranted :)

We're not allowed balance in a world of imbalances so we do the next best thing... compensate and over react :)

I'm a snob against Gibson and Fender guitars. They look classic and iconic but they don't stay in tune, play in tune or have comfortable necks.

You are playing the wrong Gibsons. I’m a fanboy of PRS, but that’s just not a fair comment. Gibson CUSTOM makes instruments that do all 3. I have a number of R9s, and the newer ones are very consistent and really good guitars.

However, nobody beats PRS from the bottom to the top.

All snobbery does is make us feel better about being at one end of the spectrum or the other. A better approach would be to remain centered or unpolarized, but this is a world of competing opposites. In lieu we try to balance them by convincing ourselves the imbalance is wholly warranted :)

We're not allowed balance in a world of imbalances so we do the next best thing... compensate and over react :)

Well said.

You are playing the wrong Gibsons. I’m a fanboy of PRS, but that’s just not a fair comment. Gibson CUSTOM makes instruments that do all 3. I have a number of R9s, and the newer ones are very consistent and really good guitars.

Even the regular ones aren’t as bad as the internet likes to say. I’ve owned a bunch of Gibson’s and while I’m glad I’ve moved on from them, most of them were fine guitars, and they all sold quickly.

Still the fact that the frets and nut aren't in the right place make them never really play in tune. I got a Gibson J-35 last year because I like that Gibson acoustic sound. It's a struggle to get it to play in tune sometimes because of the design but it has that sound. I had 2 Les Pauls. One had the slim taper neck which I never liked and the other was a 54 reissue which had a huge neck but it was really too big. All PRS necks have been comfortable that I have had and all play in tune. It's kind of like that Bud Light commercial during the superbowl. We don't put corn syrup in our beer and Lite and Coors do. Makes me want to get a Bud Light next time doesn't it?

Both my Tele AND my Strat (with trem) are more stable than my PRS HBII in terms of tuning.

I'm not sure which neck I like better, the PRS neck on my HBII or the neck on my Elite Strat. They're both really great.

I like my PRS guitars a LOT, but both Fender and Gibson make fine guitars.

Still the fact that the frets and nut aren't in the right place make them never really play in tune. I got a Gibson J-35 last year because I like that Gibson acoustic sound. It's a struggle to get it to play in tune sometimes because of the design but it has that sound. I had 2 Les Pauls. One had the slim taper neck which I never liked and the other was a 54 reissue which had a huge neck but it was really too big. All PRS necks have been comfortable that I have had and all play in tune. It's kind of like that Bud Light commercial during the superbowl. We don't put corn syrup in our beer and Lite and Coors do. Makes me want to get a Bud Light next time doesn't it?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:o_O

Wouldn't it be a hoot if it was PRS starting all those internet rumors about Gibson QC just to increase sales? It's not even far fetched, Paul is fanatical about all the details Gibson is rumored to ignore.

I can just see him on his computer at 3am hunting and pecking away with an evil laugh and $$$ in his eyes :)

I'm also a huge fan of both PRS and Gibson, both great guitars but completely different vibes in too many ways to list. I agree that the guitars built by the custom shop are as good as they've ever been, if not better.

When surgeons and dentists get accused of never being able to play guitar properly, as if it can never be in their DNA, you know it’s reverse snobbery at work.

To the PRS haters, doctors can never be like Jimi Hendrix, like they presumably can. And Jimi Hendrix could never have been a doctor, just like they presumably won’t, cos it’s not cool you see. It’ll automatically make them a stiff with no musical talent whatsoever.

All this over just guitar.

To them, doctors should all just stick to the useless skills they were born for, you know, like removing tumors without leaving a bleeding hole in the body and saving lives. What’s that worth yeah, compared to being able to bend a note properly?

Yup, it’s reverse snobbery indeed.

Last edited:

Indeed. The R9s since 2013 are the ones that tipped me over the tonewood debate. It’s simply because they have the ability to. Sweetenia Macrophylla, I’m looking at you.

They’re subjected to reverse snobbery too, incidentally..

Last edited:
I've got to admit I really like the R8 and R9 reissues. My next purchase is going to be either a 594 or R8. I'll look forward to trying them both out.

When surgeons and dentists get accused of never being able to play guitar properly, as in it’s never in their DNA, you know it’s reverse snobbery at work. These guys could never be like Jimi Hendrix, like we genuine guitarists can. And Jimi Hendrix could never have been a doctor even if he trained for 20 years.

All this over just guitar.

Yup these guys should all just stick to the useless skills they were born for, you know, like removing tumors without leaving a bleeding hole in the body and saving lives. What’s that worth, compared to being able to bend a note properly yeah?

We all bend, we just don't wish to break anything that could hurt.

Snobbery sometimes occurs when someone looks down on another as a form of bias, possibly class-based, possibly ethnic-based, sometimes nationality-based, sometimes gender-orientation-based, even age, height, weight, what kind of clothes you wear, even how you speak. In terms of what the company you work for says in their break room (where it should be posted clearly) there should be non-discrimination policies easily visible that guarantees a safe workplace. Heck, even this forum has a policy and it easily visible when you click on the correct page link.

Although I'm not sure what reverse snobbery is myself and why this thread asks if PRS guitar (owners?) are victims of reverse snobbery perhaps we should remember that folks like SRV or Jimi could likely make a cheap guitar sound much better than any of us could. Does that mean they played cheap guitars? No, they practiced their butts off to attain the status and level of recognition they were capable of. And there are plenty of qualified folks who can play their butts off on PRS guitars, but that doesn't mean they look down on less capable players.

IMHO, a good guitarist is also a teacher and sharer of what he knows that will help other improve others' abilities and help them build something they can enjoy for the future, not tear it down. Yes, sometimes you need to tear down what is there first before you can build, but that essentially involves correcting poor techniques, methods, or habits and instilling good ones. If one builds on a bad foundation, don't expect what you build to last very long. A good build will withstand what life throws at it.

My feelings is that practice will help you be a better guitarist, but being a doctor or lawyer will only make you work harder to maintain your lifestyle. What if you don't know how to practice well? Hmmm. One practice follows the next closely for good reason.

Perhaps they're career-focused, treating people's symptoms or healing the ill. Lawyers are a different kind, focused on either sending the bad guys away for correction, or defending the innocent being accused. And since I'm in no position for judging others myself, I think that practicing what is good will prevent you from ever needing correction and exonerate you from accusation.

Regards curing the sick, not my job. I can offer words of encouragement that will help other people feel better, but they're only words. Perhaps building a better life for our future is a good place to begin?

We all bend, we just don't wish to break anything that could hurt.

Snobbery sometimes occurs when someone looks down on another as a form of bias, possibly class-based, possibly ethnic-based, sometimes nationality-based, sometimes gender-orientation-based, even age, height, weight, what kind of clothes you wear, even how you speak. In terms of what the company you work for says in their break room (where it should be posted clearly) there should be non-discrimination policies easily visible that guarantees a safe workplace. Heck, even this forum has a policy and it easily visible when you click on the correct page link.

Although I'm not sure what reverse snobbery is myself and why this thread asks if PRS guitar (owners?) are victims of reverse snobbery perhaps we should remember that folks like SRV or Jimi could likely make a cheap guitar sound much better than any of us could. Does that mean they played cheap guitars? No, they practiced their butts off to attain the status and level of recognition they were capable of. And there are plenty of qualified folks who can play their butts off on PRS guitars, but that doesn't mean they look down on less capable players.

IMHO, a good guitarist is also a teacher and sharer of what he knows that will help other improve others' abilities and help them build something they can enjoy for the future, not tear it down. Yes, sometimes you need to tear down what is there first before you can build, but that essentially involves correcting poor techniques, methods, or habits and instilling good ones. If one builds on a bad foundation, don't expect what you build to last very long. A good build will withstand what life throws at it.

My feelings is that practice will help you be a better guitarist, but being a doctor or lawyer will only make you work harder to maintain your lifestyle. What if you don't know how to practice well? Hmmm. One practice follows the next closely for good reason.

Perhaps they're career-focused, treating people's symptoms or healing the ill. Lawyers are a different kind, focused on either sending the bad guys away for correction, or defending the innocent being accused. And since I'm in no position for judging others myself, I think that practicing what is good will prevent you from ever needing correction and exonerate you from accusation.

Regards curing the sick, not my job. I can offer words of encouragement that will help other people feel better, but they're only words. Perhaps building a better life for our future is a good place to begin?
Oops I think I did not express myself clearly first time round. Have since edited my post.

I just feel for these innocent doctors and lawyers sometimes. What did they ever do? However PRS are priced and however people feel about that, these guys should not be implicated.

Back