Is PRS guitars a victim of reverse snobbery?

Would it help if I sold all my PRS and other expensive guitars and played only my bottom feeder lesser expensive guitars?

2019-Jan-FamilyPhoto.jpg

Nice collection - looks like you prefer to do things in 3's - 3 Flying V's, 3 594's, 3 Cu24's...

Will you sell the 335 type to get another LP type? LOL

Nice collection - looks like you prefer to do things in 3's - 3 Flying V's, 3 594's, 3 Cu24's...

Will you sell the 335 type to get another LP type? LOL

That 335 type (a Heritage H-535) is worth three guitars.

Nice guitars.....but what’s with that little television.....
1991: 20" CRT "Cable Ready" Color TV
2007: 42" LCD Flat Panel TV
2019: 75" QLED Q6 TV

The Heritage!?
I snif snobbishly in your living room’s direction.
You must redeem yourself with three more PRS’s!

Negative Ghost Rider... the pattern is full.

What, you don't like my 3 Heritage guitars?

I love my prs guitars. I've never had any negative comments from others about them.

I can be an odd duck in that if the guitar I'm playing feels and sounds great then that's good. If it looks amazing then I get an additional boost off of that.

I need all the help I can get!

I don’t generally listen to what poor people have to say, I’m busy Doctoring and lawyering over by here.

Lazy bastid. I’m over here doctoring, lawyering, and ive has to pick up the dentisting slack since rugerpc has slacked off. And by that, I mean he vamoosed, not that converted to Hawaiian guitar.

The comments that annoy me are:

PRS Guitars have no soul, no mojo or 'too perfect'. None of the classics were recorded on a PRS guitar or some of the greatest guitarists didn't play a PRS and then list songs and artists that were all recorded pre-85. PRS guitars are 'bought' by lawyers and dentists...

I could go on and sometimes, I will bother to try and educate people but then sometimes, Mark Twains quote does come to mind - 'Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.’

As far as the soul/mojo thing is concerned, I would never accuse Santana of lacking in Soul and he wouldn't play a guitar that doesn't have 'mojo'. I wonder if the people that are saying this are only listening to someone demoing the PU's and tone - playing a few chords, licks etc over and over again with no felling or emotion - just to show the tones. There is nothing wrong with being too perfect either in my opinion. I would rather have a guitar with a balanced sound - balanced lows, mids and highs. Its a lot easier to boost or reduce these with the amps EQ if they are balanced than to try and boost 'mids' or 'bass' for example because the guitar doesn't have any and prefer to have quality too that don't become muddy or mushy with gain - still retain that clarity.

Its obvious where the stupidity of people is where historical music/artists are concerned - Jimi was never going to play a PRS guitar - having died 15yrs before PRS opened up their factory. Even when Paul made his first guitar, Jimi had been dead for years. I must admit, when I was a teenager and wanted to play guitar, the likes of Slash, Jimmy Page etc were a big influence on me and why I ended up with an Epiphone Les Paul Custom as my starting guitar. It was the search for that guitar that I saw my first PRS (around '89) and after that, the PRS Custom 24 became my ultimate guitar - think Wayne's World and the White Strat - that was like me with PRS. Amongst my peers, the majority of them were also in awe of PRS guitars - the quality, the craftsmanship etc - even if they were Fender or Gibson fanboys. It didn't matter whether their heroes played a PRS or not - it was the quality of the instrument that mattered. It seems that the majority of 'internet' people think that its more important to play a model your heroes play. Another thing that annoys me is that 'vintage' guitars are better - when the artists got these instruments, they weren't vintage and often they picked up guitars 2nd hand because they were cheaper.

As for being bought by Lawyers and Dentists - that is just ignorance related to price and that only Lawyers and Dentists can afford them. By that, then all the Gibson re-issues and Fender Custom shop are only bought by Lawyers and Dentists too because these are more expensive. Its just ridiculous assumptions!! Its as bad as saying people only buy PRS guitars to hang on their wall - a compliment to the beauty' of them but that is a disservice to them as an instrument!!

I think any true Guitarists will love a PRS guitar. Its like turning up to a car meet in a Ferrari and all car enthusiasts wanting to get close, take photo's and aspire to drive it and then go home in their Fords...

people only buy PRS guitars to hang on their wall They do exist! Someone local was selling a 2008 three pickup 10 top SC250. Says it was wall art.

people only buy PRS guitars to hang on their wall They do exist! Someone local was selling a 2008 three pickup 10 top SC250. Says it was wall art.

I have all mine hanging in a bedroom so that when I look up, it reminds me of a very grown up version of those things they hang up above baby cribs? What do they call them? A mobile or carousel? Yea, a PRS Mobile which is SUPER expensive!

Back