Is it time to start considering solid state?

I dunno... the Bandit 112 seems to please a lot of folks. They're not too bad on the wallet, either. Quilter and Orange also have some reputable amps.
I’m not a gear snob, and will never tell someone not to play what makes them happy. I’ve been reading posts for years from guys who use solid state amps and like them. MOST of them use them clean, with pedals for OD but some are happy with the OD channels as well. That was true for the Peavey stuff years ago, and is still true of many people who love the Quilter stuff. Some like the OD, many use pedals and prefer that.

That said, I owned 2 different models of Bandit, back in the day when I wanted something smaller than my Twin Reverb, and wanted something with a gain channel. When I got my Peavey Classic 30, I had a bandit 112 for a while. There was no comparison in tone. The Classic 30 was MUCH better on the clean channel, and better on the gain channel (which the C30 is not exactly known for). And that was before I swapped tubes and speakers. After a replacement speaker, the Classic 30 blew the Bandit away. That doesn’t mean the Bandit is bad, but the C30 was clearly better. And yes, I know people who gigged the solid state Peavey amps for years. One of my friends had a Mace that I thought was great many years ago. Not sure how I’d feel about it after the amp journey I’ve been on for the last 15 years. But that said, I sold almost all of the tube amps a couple years ago and saved only the Bogner and PRS Archon.

The Classic 30 is a good solid amp, but is not considered “great.” I got some really good tones out of it with some good pedals, good tubes and a better speaker. But the Classic 30 was a “revelation” for someone used to the Bandit.

The moral of this story: Play what makes you happy. Listen to people who have actually played other gear if they tell you why they like it better, but NEVER let anyone tell you that what you have is not good enough, or that you have to buy something better. I had a couple humble Valve Jr’s sounding pretty good after some mods, and had less than $200 in them fully modded with new trannies and all.

Women are inspirational. Truly.

There are a million reasons I say this. OK, hundreds of millions, if not billions, of reasons.
Who's the horny bastid now??? :D:D:D

(not that I'm disagreeing with what you say, in any way! LOL)

Back