Instantly want more PRS guitars...

Kiper

So since I got my 2024 SE Custom 24 Quilt I've been really wanting more models. I currently have a Gibson Les Paul 60s that I have for sale, and I also have a Fender Am Pro Strat that has needs some fret work. At this point, I'm REALLY tempted to get a 594 once the LP sells, and I'm contemplating selling the Strat instead of paying for the fretwork and getting a Silver Sky to replace it.

I know I'm likely still in the honeymoon stage with my CU24, and I shouldn't make any rushed decisions (I wont), but man that feeling is strong to go all in on PRS. I think the SE line punches far above its weight, it's quite shocking frankly.

Anyway, not much point to this thread other than I wanted to express these thoughts/feelings, and this seems like the right place to do it (my girlfriend certainly doesn't want to hear it! haha).

Anyone else lean pretty hard into PRS after discovering the brand?

I’d say it’s more common than not, actually! It’s hard not to notice the quality is a notch above, and the playability doesn’t require excuses like “I like the guitar to fight me.” Seems it shines a light on the shortcomings of all but the best of other brands’ work.

I don’t think you’d regret either of the swaps you mention, but wade in at your own pace. Another plus with PRS is that the quality is a constant… it’ll be here when you are ready.

Go all in!

The quality and the tone really are there. I did it with LP’s 10+ years ago, and about 3 years ago with Strats, I was already into PRS but I consciously tried to find G or F versions to buy, and I ran the racks exhaustively, but the honest truth is, PRS is beating them at their own game. It fluctuates, for a while Fender was doing a better job than Gibson, now it seems to have reversed, but still PRS is doing it best.

Play almost any strat, save for perhaps custom shop models, next to an SE Silver Sky, and you’ll hear the difference in an instant.

People buy more than one PRS?
the-simpsons-fox.gif

They multiply like Gremlins! I kept some staples and random of others, but PRS has slowly and sometimes quickly edged the rest out of the house, and even the staples are barely in rotation.

The addiction is real

Last edited:
I’m just a noodles on guitar, but I bought 6 PRSs in the last year or so to add to my line 1 from 2018.

This describes me, too, but over three years I have arrived at: 13.

Three Core: ‘06 SAS, ‘11 Starla X P90, ‘11 NF3
Eight SE: EG SSS w/ Trem, SC Korina, Early SH, (2x) 2nd Gen Zach Myers, Starla, HB II Piezo, Paul’s
One ‘21 CE-24 SH
One ‘17 S2 Vela SH

And still eyeballing a SE 594 hard! And a SE Silver Sky. And a Fiore. And a Core Starla…

Last edited:
I’d say it’s more common than not, actually! It’s hard not to notice the quality is a notch above, and the playability doesn’t require excuses like “I like the guitar to fight me.” Seems it shines a light on the shortcomings of all but the best of other brands’ work.

I don’t think you’d regret either of the swaps you mention, but wade in at your own pace. Another plus with PRS is that the quality is a constant… it’ll be here when you are ready.

I agree whole-heartedly with Rick... I had a couple PRS guitars for short stints over the years up until about 2007, but when I bought my McCarty I started to understand what the buzz was really about... I bought a couple Korean SEs to play with but they didn't really supersede the Fender, Gibson, Gretsch or Music Man guitars that filled most of the stands in my music room at the time... But then I bought my 25th Anniversary Custom 24, and the balance truly shifted toward PRS. Thirteen years later, I pretty much all my electrics are PRS guitars except for a couple Teles and a Strat I won't give up, and a Steinberger I take on long trips and cruises... It took years to come to this, but I don't miss any of the other stuff really...

Over the last year I got 4 PRS guitars. It all started with the SE DGT. I liked it so much I was curious what a core DGT would be like. I liked that so much that I got a gold top core DGT. Then I played a Studio and got one of those.

I made sacrifices to get these guitars. They’re among the nicest things I own. I get joy from playing them and from looking at them too!

My only other electric guitars are an old 76 Les Paul, an early 90s made in Japan Stratocaster, and an Emerald Virtuo carbon fiber guitar. I don’t bash Gibson or Fender. I respect their history and tradition. For me though, there really is no comparison. I much prefer my PRS guitars over my Les Paul and Stratocaster and the other guitars from those companies that I’ve played.

I’m very impressed with Emerald guitars. All of there guitars are made of carbon fiber and most are acoustic. In some ways they remind me of PRS. I think they’re another company that is innovating and distinguishing themselves.

PRS one me over as a customer because of how delighted I was with one of their “budget” import SE guitars. The SE DGT was the gateway drug for me.

Last edited:
Back