Incoming NGD ~ S2 Mira + First Wildwood Purchase

JStarr

Banned
Some of you may remember (or participated in) my "Bernie Versus S2 Mira ~ Worth The Upgrade?" thread. To make a long story short, my GAS for a Mira was too much to overcome, so I ordered one in Antique White from Wildwood this morning. I have to say that dealing with Steve (the owner) is what sealed the deal for me. Not only did he match a price that I was quoted from Sam Ash, he also really took the time to explain what I was getting when purchasing from Wildwood versus the "big box" stores. Top notch guy, as I am sure those whom have dealt with him feel. I already knew most of this about Wildwood, but talking to Steve made me feel like a true customer... not just another number in some sales report. It's great to know that the guitar has been thoroughly inspected & setup to a high standard before it ships. It's like another layer of scrutiny & quality control beyond Stevensville. I also get the sense (which is pure assumption & speculation) that quite possibly some of the "nicer" examples get shipped out to stores like Wildwood versus stores like GC, so I have some confidence that I'll end up with a keeper. Needless to say... I'm stoked. I still have the Bernie, so expect a full report & comparo.

Till then... here's a sneak peak:

13s2000298_lg4_zps2d29e6bf.jpg

Thanks. I bought the only Antique White with Dots that they had in stock. And BTW... as much as I love Birds, I purposely chose the Dots.

Also noted: Out of the 7 Mira's they have in stock, mine was the heaviest at 7.36 pounds. The lightest (Cherry with Birds) was 6.03 pounds. The others range in the low 6's. I know that most players always shoot for the lightest available, but with this particular guitar I'm happy that its on the heavy end. I figure the narrower body with the bevel cut could use a little extra girth. I hope I'm not hyping myself up too much, but here's to it being a real keeper.

Mine weighs in at just a shade under 7 and it really sustains well, which surprised me as all my other guitars are around 10 pounds. Matter of fact it sustains and rings better than my other guitars.

Nice! They are a great bunch of guys. It's a great place to visit if you are ever in the area, too.

It's funny that you mention the weight. Even though I didn't weigh mine (and I am out of town so I can't just yet), it feels heavier than I expected. It's definitely lighter than the Bernie though. I am guessing a little over seven pounds. I am fine with the weight myself. I love the birds as well, but I also thought this particular guitar needed the dots. And don't worry, you are going to dig it!

Hell yeah!! I was one of the "helpful" (?) contributors on your other thread - glad you made the right choice and got both. :)

Great colour choice - looks really classy - and I agree on the weight front. I had a Mira 245 which I loved the look and tone of but was just way too light. I'd love another Mira one day but would definitely have to go for a decent weight and have wondered whether the maple top one came out heavier. My 'dream' PS would almost certainly be a Mira base (ideally McCarty body thickness) with three 408 pickups and a Bigsby. :)

Love antique white. ..glad you got what you truly wanted.

Congrats - love the S2 Miras. Mine is my second-lightest guitar @ 6lb 2.6oz (bested only by my SE EG) and while my SE ZM has me spoiled for all others w.r.t. sustain, the S2 Mira sustains well and is extremely expressive and resonant. More than one person has picked it up and strummed it acoustically and asked me if it's chambered.

Looking forward to pics and impressions!

That one is awesome - congrats! You will LOVE it!! I too bought my Mira from Wildwood (and recently picked up another guitar from them as well) and they are absolutely the best to deal with. I really think they have become my go-to when I can't get something at my local dealer.
My Mira is 6.55 lbs according to Wildwood. I have not weighed it myself but that "feels" right and it is arguably the most resonant guitar I have ever owned, but I have wondered a few times if it may not be a little more girthy with some additional weight to it. At any rate, It's a keeper and I am sure yours will be too.

The weight/resonance of the Mira seems to be something that surprises a lot of folks, it did me. I always thought, maple top and a thick heavy body were needed to get something that would resonate and sustain, now I'm thinking the opposite may be true in some cases.

All these great comments have got me even more excited about the Monday delivery date. So much so that I've decided to take the entire day off from work. On side note, I'm curious to know what she might look like with brushed nickel pup covers... and a few other mods that I've got up my sleeve.

One thing I'm pretty happy about is that so far all Mira owners are reporting the same attributes for the guitar, so it's not like any of us got "a good one", so it looks like the PRS design and build is consistent.
I'm looking forward to JStarr's impressions.

All these great comments have got me even more excited about the Monday delivery date. So much so that I've decided to take the entire day off from work. On side note, I'm curious to know what she might look like with brushed nickel pup covers... and a few other mods that I've got up my sleeve.

They're not brushed, but this is what my black Mira looks like with nickel covers:
300x300.jpg

These are DiMarzios (Super Distortion bridge and PAF Pro neck) and they have the two rows of allen screws. Against the all-black I think it looks fantastic, and I think brushed would look amazing on your white one.

Back