NGD: Sending it back

csquared

I currently have 7 PRS Guitars, 2 Cores, 3 S2s, and 2 SE models. All are great quality. My favorite is my Wildwood S2 35th Anniversary. It's just an incredible instrument with a perfect neck for my broken hands. Decided I wanted another like in, preferably in a yellow, amber, honeyburst style color. Found a S2 24-08 in McCarty burst at zzounds. Last one, arrived yesterday.

To say I was disappointed is an understatement.

Now was previously stated, I have guitars across the lineup. I also own a LOT of Gibsons. I've been teaching off an on for 30 years. I've also built from scratch a few guitars as well. I've seen a lot of guitars.

The fretwork on this is absolutely horrible. Was leveled and never crowned. Flat rough tops. the fingerboard at the higher frets is discolored with nickel dust. Also looks like its peppered with glue spots. How the hell this left the factory is of concern. I've seen this over the years on Lower end Epiphones and Ibanez guitars, particularly those coming from the early China factories. Somewhat expected for the price. But on a $2000 American made guitar? Sorry, but unacceptable.

Last one so can't even ask for a replacement.

Any chance this was previously returned to them and perhaps deceptively sold as "new"? Seems more like someone tried some DYI work on it, failed, and returned it rather than it came from the factory like that (I hope?!)

I know PRS isn’t perfect, but unless it came directly from them, the ball was dropped by the retailer. It is their responsibility to catch the defects and send them back to the manufacturer. The customer will never know about any quality issues if the retailer is doing their job.

I currently have 7 PRS Guitars, 2 Cores, 3 S2s, and 2 SE models. All are great quality. My favorite is my Wildwood S2 35th Anniversary. It's just an incredible instrument with a perfect neck for my broken hands. Decided I wanted another like in, preferably in a yellow, amber, honeyburst style color. Found a S2 24-08 in McCarty burst at zzounds. Last one, arrived yesterday.

To say I was disappointed is an understatement.

Now was previously stated, I have guitars across the lineup. I also own a LOT of Gibsons. I've been teaching off an on for 30 years. I've also built from scratch a few guitars as well. I've seen a lot of guitars.

The fretwork on this is absolutely horrible. Was leveled and never crowned. Flat rough tops. the fingerboard at the higher frets is discolored with nickel dust. Also looks like its peppered with glue spots. How the hell this left the factory is of concern. I've seen this over the years on Lower end Epiphones and Ibanez guitars, particularly those coming from the early China factories. Somewhat expected for the price. But on a $2000 American made guitar? Sorry, but unacceptable.

Last one so can't even ask for a replacement.

This is a retailer problem.

And yes, you can ask for a replacement. It's on them since they sold you an inferior product.

This is a retailer problem.

And yes, you can ask for a replacement. It's on them since they sold you an inferior product.
This was the last one they had or will be getting. As soon as I pulled the plug the item was omitted from the page. Not waiting a year or longer for a possible replacement. Can wait 2 months and get a different color but I grabbed this one specifically for the color.

Sending it back. Put a word in at Brian's and Wildwood what I'm looking for and see if something comes in in the next few months. More reliable than SW/GC/AMS/MF/ZZ etc

GC/AMS/MF/ZZ etc do not open guitar boxes for inspection. They just ship them out. Some buyers like that because they get a new, unopened package. Having a percentage of sales returned is part of their business model.

Of that list, Sweetwater does check guitars before sending them out… never received a bad one from them.

If this was a new guitar, it shouldn’t have left the factory in the described condition, which begs the question (one we can’t answer here) of when/how did it get in the shape described. Without photos, we’re just going on the OP’s description, and even if we could see it ourselves, the history of the guitar is unknown other than being sold as new.

What I take from all of that was that a guitar arrived in unsatisfactory condition, even though listed as “new,” and it was returned. It could be a PRS issue, but all we know is that the dealer shipped a guitar with defects. I’d avoid that dealer for guitar purchases, and go with one who checks guitars before shipment. There’s nothing else to be gained from the story, really. All guesswork beyond that.

Of that list, Sweetwater does check guitars before sending them out… never received a bad one from them.

If this was a new guitar, it shouldn’t have left the factory in the described condition, which begs the question (one we can’t answer here) of when/how did it get in the shape described. Without photos, we’re just going on the OP’s description, and even if we could see it ourselves, the history of the guitar is unknown other than being sold as new.

What I take from all of that was that a guitar arrived in unsatisfactory condition, even though listed as “new,” and it was returned. It could be a PRS issue, but all we know is that the dealer shipped a guitar with defects. I’d avoid that dealer for guitar purchases, and go with one who checks guitars before shipment. There’s nothing else to be gained from the story, really. All guesswork beyond that.
After the 2nd dud from Sweatwater I no longer purchase from them. First one arrived with a Low E falling off the fingerboard due to a poorly cut nut from the factory. This on a $2200 yamaha acoustic. Second one had a BAD floyd. This on an EII ESP. Both issues SHOULD have been found prior to shipping and according to the card they sent me someone for got their glasses and thinking cap the day they signed off.

Wildwood has been awesome. Brian's is local and has taken over NE as the flagship PRS dealer.

I don't know is someone else shipped this back. As far as I knew it was NIB. All I know is this should have never have left the factory.

After the 2nd dud from Sweatwater I no longer purchase from them. First one arrived with a Low E falling off the fingerboard due to a poorly cut nut from the factory. This on a $2200 yamaha acoustic. Second one had a BAD floyd. This on an EII ESP. Both issues SHOULD have been found prior to shipping and according to the card they sent me someone for got their glasses and thinking cap the day they signed off.

Wildwood has been awesome. Brian's is local and has taken over NE as the flagship PRS dealer.

I don't know is someone else shipped this back. As far as I knew it was NIB. All I know is this should have never have left the factory.
Never had an issue with Sweetwater, and am surprised you did. I think that I’d take to buying after in hand inspection only if I’d have had as many bad guitars sent to me as you have!

Wildwood and Brian’s are both solid shops. Dave’s Guitar has also been very good in my experience. Good luck on your return.

Back