Maple top depths / carve comparisons

henryjurstin13

I'd like to see some pics/specs that show/compare the carves of the maple caps, preferably comparing core violin carves to newer CE carves. Everytime I pickup a SE, S2, etc... the core carve is the first thing I miss. Seems like I've seen a couple pics where some hollowbody/archtops were cut in half.... I'm just curious how different the carve is on a modern CE vs traditional core carves.

I thought the newer/modern CE guitars had a slightly more shallow carve? The newer ones don't have recessed knobs like older ones, isn't that a sign of a less dramatic violin carve?

The newer CE guitars definitely have a shallower carver than the older CE guitars. It is so much shallower that it is visible in pictures if you compare them. AS you have already mentioned, the knobs are not recessed like the core line. On the old CE guitars they were recessed just like the core guitars. The old CE was a core level guitar with the only difference being the neck was bolted in instead of glued in. They were are great value for the money.

The newer CE guitars definitely have a shallower carver than the older CE guitars. It is so much shallower that it is visible in pictures if you compare them. AS you have already mentioned, the knobs are not recessed like the core line. On the old CE guitars they were recessed just like the core guitars. The old CE was a core level guitar with the only difference being the neck was bolted in instead of glued in. They were are great value for the money.
Yes, this is what I'm trying to say (maybe I'm doing a bad job of being clear). I'm wondering if anyone has any specific information regarding exactly how different they are...? Maple top depths: old vs new, or a neck pocket pic of old vs new (to better see the thickest part of the maple).

Yes, this is what I'm trying to say (maybe I'm doing a bad job of being clear). I'm wondering if anyone has any specific information regarding exactly how different they are...? Maple top depths: old vs new, or a neck pocket pic of old vs new (to better see the thickest part of the maple).
Since they are not carving it as deep, I would think that the maple cap is a little thinner now.

Here are the differences between my '94 CCE-22 and '23 DW Hardtail Ltd.

V6v0OE0.jpg

62EU9Os.jpg

mGR0sHk.jpg

dl9mwp3.jpg

Something is still screwy with pics. I can see @bodia pics in the reply box, but not in the post.
Did my pics post in my post up above?
Yeah, that's weird. I'm using the BB Code link from Imgur, like always. I can see my pics if I try to edit, but they show up as the box with the red X once I save.

Your pics are just fine.

Hey @james or @prsguitars can you chime in???

What would be really cool is if we could just drag and drop pics into a post and they would work like on some other forums. I tried it and no go...

Here are the differences between my '94 CCE-22 and '23 DW Hardtail Ltd.

V6v0OE0.jpg

62EU9Os.jpg

mGR0sHk.jpg

dl9mwp3.jpg
Thanks!!! (I couldn't see these until they preview in the reply - hopefully, mods will get that sorted out)

It's subtle, but it's something my mind looks for every time I touch a PRS. I'm sure it's just a cheaper solution to hit a price point more than anything, but my hands feel a difference... and sometimes that's hard to overlook.

Thanks!!! (I couldn't see these until they preview in the reply - hopefully, mods will get that sorted out)

It's subtle, but it's something my mind looks for every time I touch a PRS. I'm sure it's just a cheaper solution to hit a price point more than anything, but my hands feel a difference... and sometimes that's hard to overlook.
Happy to help!

Back