I just figured out why I love the Santana so much...

Tahlee

Tollywood Rhode Island
No, it’s not the perfect neck that fills your hand and inspires confidence. Surprisingly, it’s not the tone for days that comes out of these beasts. Nor is it the sexy swagger that the model has in spades.

Well, actually it’s all of those things. But, as I played tonight I realized that the controls are in the perfect location. I have my band’s cover song setlist on a playlist on my iPad, so to practice independently I just play straight through the list, like at a show. Anyway, the location of the controls is now becoming automatic in my movements. And, they are in the perfect spot.

Recently, Sergio mentioned that now that he is accustomed to the Santana, he can’t play the sexiest Bonnie Pink Tremonti (which I am also watching and almost bought) ever seen, and currently for sale at a reasonable price on Reverb. Well, I am beginning to understand just how he feels.

Once you become accustomed to the Santana, there is no going back.

Please, feel free to pepper this thread with pictures of your dead sexy Santana...

FD3-C8-C63-115-D-442-F-84-EA-F4781-A26-DEAE.jpg

Last edited:
OK...now I gotta play one. I still to this day haven't put my hands on a Santana model.....not even a SE Santana...and i'm not sure I've run across one either. Time to go exploring.

Yes, indeed, I think you should go exploring.

I didn’t plan on loving the location of the controls. But, now that my movements are becoming automatic, it feels very ergonomic. I’m very comfortable with their foreign location. Once you play it for a few hours, you realize that the location just makes sense.

Man, I think it’s been six years since I got my first, a KL33. In that time, my interest in other guitars has been slowly corroding.

The neck, the shape, the look, the tone, the sound an open E and A power chord makes... and yes, where the controls are.

I’ve adapted pretty well for swells and riding the volume, I even composed a guitar solo for the band I play in that’s all volume swells and whale sex for the first 8 bars without much difficulty.

It’s such an egoist’s guitar... but one that wants to play well with others. The neck pickup position is perfectly suited to poke out a bit when playing with another 22 fret guitar that’s also set to the neck position.

The 24.5” scale makes it easier to bend, shake, and wiggle notes. and the at times cramped upper fret spacing and larger neck heel make you... I guess think more, prepare more, and pleasantly refrain more from being super annoying with some of the higher notes. It keeps you “cool” if that makes any sense.

It’s just about the perfect guitar for where I’m at in life: I can kinda “shred” if I wanted to, but I’m trying to be more restrained and thoughtful, maybe even “mature” in my playing, and the guitar helps with that.

I’ve said this all before, but if you think about it, the Santana/WSL platform is what made some of the greatest guitarists in the world take notice of Paul’s expertise.

For a certain type of player, it’s the ultimate guitar. IMO it’s only the limited availability and cost that have kept more people from experiencing one, and it’s a shame that a West Street or a Korina 33 are “limited” models. The loudest critics of PRS, the ones who complain about “soul”, “mojo”, and say the guitars are “sterile” or “generic” sounding need to get their hands and ears on one.

I’ve adapted pretty well for swells and riding the volume, I even composed a guitar solo for the band I play in that’s all volume swells and whale sex for the first 8 bars without much difficulty.

For a certain type of player, it’s the ultimate guitar. IMO it’s only the limited availability and cost that have kept more people from experiencing one, and it’s a shame that a West Street or a Korina 33 are “limited” models. The loudest critics of PRS, the ones who complain about “soul”, “mojo”, and say the guitars are “sterile” or “generic” sounding need to get their hands and ears on one.

“No animals were harmed during the making of the song” :D

Hopefully, the more affordable SE version will help to rectify that situation. I checked out a PRS SE the other day and I don’t know how they can make such a nice product at that price point. It was very nice.

Don’t be shy. I don’t have any more Santanas to add to the thread, so I would love to see some of yours, please. That goes for everyone. Lay ‘em on me!

Great Santana’s ! Especially the two red ones
I have a mccarty I love and a santana SE standard I love. I’m about 95% sure I’m
Gonna pick up a core santana when the right one appears. Or maybe Westy. Yeah right.

I hope this doesn’t tick off too
Many but the inlay on the top is a turnoff for me. So I’m wondering what you may think of the Santana III compared to other models

Back