I’ve caught the bug: Got a Cu24 35th Anni - What’s next?

Drlepp

Hi,

New member, short time lurker and surprisingly new to PRS. Sorry in advance for the long post, just skip to the last paragraph if I bore you.

These past 25 years or so I’ve only had eyes for Fender Jazzmasters and Jaguars and, until a year ago or so, I wouldn’t have looked twice at a PRS (too flashy, too flamboyant, etc.). Then the pandemics struck and out of whim I got a Rickenbacker 360. Now, it was used and I needed information about something so I spent some time in Rickenbacker forums and soon I had bought my second Rickenbacker, a 360-12. However, to keep this relevant, there was one thing that kept coming up on these sites and that was that everyone agreed that PRS guitars are great.

Naturally, this lead me to research PRS and I just couldn’t stop myself from buying one. Now, due to the pandemics, I couldn’t just go out and try them all and took a shot and ordered a Custom 24 35th Anniversary Edition (core), pattern thin neck carve. The one they had in stock was Charcoal Cherryburst. I made sure the store had a good return policy.

I realized when I picked it up that this was the first time I’ve ever touched a PRS guitar! The build quality and attention to detail on this thing is jaw dropping, it’s a masterpiece (but you all know that already), but at that price point, it really should be, right? I didn’t love the color but it’s growing on me and since I’m the one playing (in a cramped wardrobe through headphones I should add) it doesn’t matter too much how it looks - only how it feels and sounds, and I’ve got no complaints there.

The idea of buying a guitar at this price point was the hunt would be over, but we all know that’s naive thinking. I was so impressed by this guitar that already the next day I started looking for my next PRS.

So, the reason for my post is: What would you recommend that is different enough to warrant another PRS into my studio (and by studio I mean my cramped wardrobe)? I’m thinking McCarty 594, but the Paul’s guitar intrigues me. I’m not a big fan of SC and of course realize I should try them out but that’s not so easy. I don’t have a specific sound or feel I’m aiming for, just different from a Custom 24, but at least as good.

Thanks!

I recently bought a Custom 24 35th too. It's blue top with black back and sides. It's beautiful and is wonderful to play. First PRS, but likely not the last. It compares very favorably with a couple of Gibson Custom Shop VOS repro's.

Welcome and congrats!
I am sadly unfamiliar with the CU24 but I do know everyone loves it.
The answer to your second purchase choice is YES! Get another.
I have a 594 soapy which I love, and a WL 594 with rosewood neck which is deadly also.
McCarty? Yes.
So many good choices, and you'll find rabid Santana lovers here too.
What tones are you searching for? What style of guitar? What neck shape/feel?
Love my Silver Sky too.

Go with a non-10 top doublecut 594, or step up to 10-top and/or hollow options if you feel like splashing money around. Consider a rosewood neck (I think that requires stepping up to Wood Library) for extra credit.

That and your Custom 24 will cover a lot of PRS territory.

Thanks for taking your time! Obviously there isn’t much rationality in these kinds of decisions. It’s not like I play for a living, heck my playing is mediocre at the best! I don’t play live and haven’t been in a band since 2010, and we were three guys meeting up once a week playing old 90’s indie classics in a basement.

Go with a non-10 top doublecut 594, or step up to 10-top and/or hollow options if you feel like splashing money around. Consider a rosewood neck (I think that requires stepping up to Wood Library) for extra credit.

That and your Custom 24 will cover a lot of PRS territory.

I didn’t consider HB:s, my Rickenbackers are semi-HB and the biggest gain for me has been it reduces weight (as it turns out I seem to prefer lightweight guitars to some extent). I’m not that fond of the look of the f-holes but that’s probably just that I’m not used to the look, and in my opinion, it goes better in some color combinations.

When it comes to the 594, are the recent upgrades really worth narrowing down the options and most likely limit the choice to buying new? I’m sure they are all superb instruments

Thanks for the welcome!
See, the Santana is maybe the only core PRS model I didn’t consider. I need to read up on Santanas now. The idea behind this post was to narrow down the selection, not to widen it!:)

EDIT: How about the Special 22 semi hollow? That looks like a genuine Swiss Army knife.

Last edited:
The 594 will have pickups simular to what you have in your cu24.

My thoughts are older guitars, used.

McCarty, CE 22 or 24. DGT

It's an addiction.

I’ve whittled my collection down to 4 PRS, a 24-08, 594 semi hollow, Special 22 semi hollow and a reclaimed CE24. If I had to pick just two it would be the 24-08 and the semi hollow 594 because I think those two cover the most ground. That being said the special 22 is extremely versatile and really a killer guitar.

Thanks for taking your time! Obviously there isn’t much rationality in these kinds of decisions. It’s not like I play for a living, heck my playing is mediocre at the best! I don’t play live and haven’t been in a band since 2010, and we were three guys meeting up once a week playing old 90’s indie classics in a basement.

I didn’t consider HB:s, my Rickenbackers are semi-HB and the biggest gain for me has been it reduces weight (as it turns out I seem to prefer lightweight guitars to some extent). I’m not that fond of the look of the f-holes but that’s probably just that I’m not used to the look, and in my opinion, it goes better in some color combinations.

When it comes to the 594, are the recent upgrades really worth narrowing down the options and most likely limit the choice to buying new? I’m sure they are all superb instruments

If you're asking about the '20 updates to the model (TCI pickups and vintage-style tuning keys), to be honest, I dunno! My 3 594s are all pre-2020 and I love 'em but haven't played a 2020 to compare 'em to. I haven't been strongly tempted because while TCI is interesting, vintage tuners are a "no" in my book.

I'm sure somebody else here has played both and could comment on the differences.

(My last band was 2005!)

Ok, the reason why I pulled the trigger was that I was originally looking for a 24-08 for the added switches and when the 35th anniv. showed up at a dealer I trust I took a chance. Perhaps the semi hollow route is the way to go. How would you compare the Special 22 to your other guitars? Is it essentially a semi hollow Cu22 with added PU in the middle?

i thought the PU:s in the 594 would be quite different to the ones in the Cu24? Would an older 594, say a 16/17, be more different then the current Cu24?

If only I’d spend the time I use on researching guitars actually playing instead, my skills would be decent instead of average.:)

Yes, it’s the 2020 594 models I’m curious about, and wether or not the changes are worth stop looking at the used market. Currently, there’s a used 2017 McCarty 595 and a 2018 Special 22 10-top for sale close to where I live, which is why my questions are weirdly specific. Prices are high but lower than buying brand new.

Ok, the reason why I pulled the trigger was that I was originally looking for a 24-08 for the added switches and when the 35th anniv. showed up at a dealer I trust I took a chance. Perhaps the semi hollow route is the way to go. How would you compare the Special 22 to your other guitars? Is it essentially a semi hollow Cu22 with added PU in the middle?

i thought the PU:s in the 594 would be quite different to the ones in the Cu24? Would an older 594, say a 16/17, be more different then the current Cu24?

If only I’d spend the time I use on researching guitars actually playing instead, my skills would be decent instead of average.:)

Yea it’s essentially a semi hollow custom 22 with the middle pickup and 24-08 switching. Comparing it to my 594, I find the 594 much more warm, think early Alex Lifeson tones with his ES-355. The Special 22 is a little more bright and has more snap due to the longer scale length and trem. If you’re looking for the polar opposite of your custom 24 then I think the 594 is a good choice. If you want a different flavor of the custom 24 with even more versatility than I’d go with the Special 22. I think I can speak for all of us here when I say it becomes more of which one next instead of either or.

Thanks for your valuable input! All right, I’m steering away from the Special 22 (for now). Now I only need to figure out if the 2020 MC 594 changes are worth buying new (that’d give me additional worries about colors, HB or not etc) and play a Santana. Good thing with used PRS:s is that these guitars are normally well taken care of.

This place is like trying to put out a fire with gasoline. I’m sure I’ll keep this up until I’ve got a full collection living on the street.:)

My vote is for DC mcarty or DC 594...They'll be different enough from your cu24. Santana is a good one i gotta say, the brent mason signature is like the paul's guitar in a way...but totally different being a bolt on.

My vote is for DC mcarty or DC 594...They'll be different enough from your cu24. Santana is a good one i gotta say, the brent mason signature is like the paul's guitar in a way...but totally different being a bolt on.

Thanks, you mention Paul’s guitar, which seem to be somewhat overlooked. I don’t have a strong opinion about tremolos, I don’t mind if there is one, but my playing doesn’t rely on it. I like the look and functionality of the Paul’s guitar PU:s but fail to hear a big difference from the Cu24 in the videos I’ve watched. Besides PU:s, no tremolo and 22 frets, how does it differ from the Cu24? The neck is thicker but the body style is identical?
(Wohoo, I just figured out how quote!)

Back