How's It Hangin'?

51/72=.70

Interesting. I have two single cuts and five double cuts all of which vary in body shape to some degree. I use a strap length of 51” ~.25 on all of them but one and they all hang at the same height. All of my straps are the same length except for my Armada. The strap on that one is 1.5” longer, but it hangs at the same height as the others.
This tells me that all builders build for the average sized person. Or, Most likely, to have the balance right when hanging on a strap, the strap button locations are going to average pretty much the same on all designs.

Edit: I just thought to check my only bass. It’s also 51” and hangs close to the same height.

If we're going to measure and compare, the number should never be a fraction. Just saying.

A strap I've had for 15 years:
46/70 = 0.66

A strap that came with a guitar I bought, never adjusted, and have been using because it's a PRS strap:
48/70 = 0.69

I guess I'm not super picky.

And what’s your number?

Oops. .7003 (every little bit helps! )

So, with some many hitting around that .70 mark, does anyone in that group FEEL like you run high or low? I used to play fairly high, but migrated down a decade (or two) ago. I've never been able to dio the Slash thing.

Anybody else change significantly over the years?

Oops. .7003 (every little bit helps! )

So, with some many hitting around that .70 mark, does anyone in that group FEEL like you run high or low? I used to play fairly high, but migrated down a decade (or two) ago. I've never been able to dio the Slash thing.

Anybody else change significantly over the years?
I’ve raised the guitar a slot or two over the years. I think the .725 number is as much from body type (shorter in the legs, longer in the torso) than anything. I’d probably be a notch higher otherwise.

54/72 = .75

Using old Schaller locking.

Edit: I was just FaceTiming with Hans. I play mostly SCs and LPs.

It makes a difference which PRS (or other guitar) you are playing. My original measurements were with PRS SCs and LPs. My measurements are different with a DC:

52/72 = .72

Last edited:
Back