Which S-Locks to get?

mikge

Hello.

I'm looking into Schaller strap locks for my CE 24 Satin Stealth Charcoal. I've never used strap locks before and it looks like they come in different variants and sizes so I'm not sure which ones to get. All the topics I have found on this are pre-2020 and nobody mentions a size. Does anyone know which size would fit the CE 24? Also, is there anything I should be aware of when installing strap locks on a satin finish guitar vs a glossy one?

Thanks

both versions work. The newer ones have a wider screw. If you install them then you cannot revert to your old strap button and screw.
If you get the older style: you can use your current screw but have to slightly Dremel/sand the head down a tinge for it fit fine.

installation is a breeze. The finish will not matter

I have been a Schaller strap lock user for decades, literally. My advice, buy the Fender strap locks that are the same as the old Schaller strap locks. You can use the stock PRS screws to put the buttons on. I use a pair of slip joint plyers and a rag to hold the part that goes into the strap then I use either a 13mm box end wrench or a 13mm 1/4" drive socket to tighten the nut. I rarely have had the nut come loose on these over the decades I have been using them. If you are worried about it, use a single drop of blue Loctite on it and it will stay.

I am not a fan of the new Schaller S locks. I have a set that I got with a guitar I bought. I didn't know they had changed. As soon as I saw they integrated the screw into the button, I knew I would never install these on any guitar I owned. As mentioned above, the integrated screw is bigger than the stock PRS screw so once you put them on, going back is difficult. I think they have 3 different screw sizes on the new ones. You may be able to get one closer to the stock screw size. PRS uses longer screws than other manufacturers. I like them so I use the locks mentioned above so I can stick with the stock screw. I like that they put a set screw on the collar to hold the part tight that goes on the strap. However, they added a ton of bulk and weight to it to do that. I will stick with my methods. They have never failed me.

I use dunlops. They allow you to use a regular strap if you want. They also keep the strap away from the finish at the pin.
I use rubber washers instead of felt. It helps keep the pin tight.

I have the new style on all of my guitars. I like them because Schaller tightened up the tolerances and they don’t rattle like the old style.
Same here. All 5 PRS and 1 Gibson have the newer Schaller strap lock without issue. A little WD40 on the strap side, when new, and they are good to go. As everyone else mentioned, the screw is wider than the stock PRS screw.

I’ve got the new ones. I didn’t install them, for the same reason noted above. PM me if you want them. Brand new in the box.

Edit - that’s open to anyone.

Edit again - these moved on to a new owner here.

Last edited:
I would be careful with those rubber washers on the nitro finished guitars. You could have a chemical reaction that could damage the finish. You may not know it is happening until you remove the button and the finish comes off with the washer. If you live in a place that stays hot all the time like Florida, the rubber will probably deteriorate over time. I have never seen rubber decompose like I have since moving to Florida over 11 years ago. It is the strangest thing. I am betting Texas and possibly Arizona have a similar issue.

As for Schaller's and rattling, I have heard that complaint for years. A friend of mine said that to me one time when we were jamming. I asking him how in the world he was getting a rattle with the weight of the guitar hanging in the locks. He didn't really have an answer for the question. Can you make them rattle after connecting them? Sure, you have to lift the weight of the guitar off of them to make it happen. I used to throw my guitar in a circle around my body using these locks back in the 80's and 90's. Never had one let go and I doubt there was ever a rattle, at least not one I ever heard with a full band playing.

I would be careful with those rubber washers on the nitro finished guitars. You could have a chemical reaction that could damage the finish. You may not know it is happening until you remove the button and the finish comes off with the washer. If you live in a place that stays hot all the time like Florida, the rubber will probably deteriorate over time. I have never seen rubber decompose like I have since moving to Florida over 11 years ago. It is the strangest thing. I am betting Texas and possibly Arizona have a similar issue.

As for Schaller's and rattling, I have heard that complaint for years. A friend of mine said that to me one time when we were jamming. I asking him how in the world he was getting a rattle with the weight of the guitar hanging in the locks. He didn't really have an answer for the question. Can you make them rattle after connecting them? Sure, you have to lift the weight of the guitar off of them to make it happen. I used to throw my guitar in a circle around my body using these locks back in the 80's and 90's. Never had one let go and I doubt there was ever a rattle, at least not one I ever heard with a full band playing.
I’m not sure exactly the type of washer I use but it’s not like a plain black rubber washer but looks like it is bonded with something else?
But you make a good point although as I don’t gig they only see the inside of my practice rooms…lol.
Florida is murderous on anything plastic or rubber based outside for sure, been here 22 years and replaced my hot tub cover 6 times, the sun and humidity destroys stuff in rapid order.

I will inspect the washers and guitar finish carefully though.

Also for the sake of completion: the new S locks fit the SE line perfectly. It’s a direct drop and can be reverted back to stock. That is not possible on the USA made PRS. As others have said: grab fender locking buttons, which can be found in plenty of colors and cheap. Use those. I do like the new lock portion for the straps themselves. Much better than the old fashioned washers and nut

If you want the S-locks,
The standard kit sold comes with the integrated medium screw, and works very well. The screw threads are coarser, so I add candle wax or nut lubricant to help. I have the S-lock on all my guitars, there is no longer the clicking of the old models.

Yes the rubber washers may interact with nitro. Mine are se guitars. One of the ressons I shy away from real expensive guitars is the stress they induce on me. I just want to do what works n play the things. Having a museum piece and the extra hassle just takes the fun out it for me.

Yes the rubber washers may interact with nitro. Mine are se guitars. One of the ressons I shy away from real expensive guitars is the stress they induce on me. I just want to do what works n play the things. Having a museum piece and the extra hassle just takes the fun out it for me.

This is exactly why I wish my $5000 DGT was poly instead of nitro (or whatever-the-hell PRS is using these days)

Ream the screw hole out slightly prior to installing the new S Locks if you go with those, even if only for the first half of the screw length. The screw split the finish on one of my S2’s due to the bigger diameter. I see yours is satin, but I could see it splitting wood too if you get un-lucky.

I really like the new design for the lock that goes on the strap, but the screw integrated into the strap button is a bummer.

When I put in strap locks, I go to the hardware store and get some deck screws. For my preferences, most strap button screws are woefully undersized. I usually use a 1 5/8" deck screw.

Deck screws have really small heads, so they fit into the strap buttons, while still giving you a bigger screw. I usually have to drill out the button hole to fit the screw shaft and drill a bigger longer pilot hole in the guitar.

But at the end of the day, I actually trust my strap buttons. Stock screws I don't trust at all.

Oh, I tried dunlop, but the strap locks didn't always lock, and my strap fell off a few times because of it. Luckily my guitar wasn't damaged. Now I use Fender strap locks. They're cheap and work perfect.

I've only used Schallers and Dunlops, and I've never had one fail in 30+ years. I HAVE had the "donuts" (Grolsch washers or Fender rubber washers) come off.

This is exactly why I wish my $5000 DGT was poly instead of nitro (or whatever-the-hell PRS is using these days)
I just purchased a new PRS Studio. The finish on it seems a bit soft to me. I got some fine scratches in it between the pickups already just from putting polish on it with a microfiber cloth. I don't think I have ever had a microfiber cloth put fine scratches in a finish like this before. I like the older finishes better so far.

When I put in strap locks, I go to the hardware store and get some deck screws. For my preferences, most strap button screws are woefully undersized. I usually use a 1 5/8" deck screw.

Deck screws have really small heads, so they fit into the strap buttons, while still giving you a bigger screw. I usually have to drill out the button hole to fit the screw shaft and drill a bigger longer pilot hole in the guitar.

But at the end of the day, I actually trust my strap buttons. Stock screws I don't trust at all.

Oh, I tried dunlop, but the strap locks didn't always lock, and my strap fell off a few times because of it. Luckily my guitar wasn't damaged. Now I use Fender strap locks. They're cheap and work perfect.
PRS uses pretty long screws in the core guitars. They have been using them for many years. I would have to measure one but I am guessing they are around 2" long. I took one from one of my first PRS guitars to the hardware store and bought a bunch of screws just like it made out of stainless steel. I had a couple of Fender guitars that the top screw kept coming loose on. I think they drilled the pilot hole too big on them and they were slowly pulling out. I replaced them with these longer screws and never had an issue after that. I have also never had an issue with them on my PRS guitars. PRS got this one right in my book. None of the other manufacturers have.

I just purchased a new PRS Studio. The finish on it seems a bit soft to me. I got some fine scratches in it between the pickups already just from putting polish on it with a microfiber cloth. I don't think I have ever had a microfiber cloth put fine scratches in a finish like this before. I like the older finishes better so far.

PRS uses pretty long screws in the core guitars. They have been using them for many years. I would have to measure one but I am guessing they are around 2" long. I took one from one of my first PRS guitars to the hardware store and bought a bunch of screws just like it made out of stainless steel. I had a couple of Fender guitars that the top screw kept coming loose on. I think they drilled the pilot hole too big on them and they were slowly pulling out. I replaced them with these longer screws and never had an issue after that. I have also never had an issue with them on my PRS guitars. PRS got this one right in my book. None of the other manufacturers have.
You got me curious, so I dug up the strap button screws from my 2017 custom 24. The shaft is 1" long. Maybe they used longer screws in different years, but these were too short for my tastes.

Back