How's It Hangin'?

]-[@n$0Ma☩!©

Zombie Zero, DFZ
Go get your measuring tape, this will be a fun one.

I like the idea of fixed-length guitar straps. Always have. For what should be obvious reasons, fixed-length straps are hard to find unless you place a custom-order with a willing manufacturer.

One of the things I'd like to do before I leave Europe is have a custom guitar strap made in the Louie Vuitton Custom Shop in Paris. Dave Navarro famously had a fake that got him some attention. I want the real thing. It will be, as you may have already surmised, fixed length.

I started planning for this project a few years ago and lost track of it. I thought today might be a good day to revive it and recall taking out all the straps I've got set-up for regular-shaped PRS guitars and measuring them from center-to-center of the strap-button holes. The measurement I recall was 51 inches (129.5cm). I thought that my tastes may have changed in the years that have passed so I just set a variable length strap exactly where I wanted it and measured again. Sure enough, 51 inches.

While 51 inches might be ideal for me, it might hang too low for someone who is 5-foot-6; unless s/he likes to play with straight-arms wayyy down (think Krist Novoselic). Then again, it might hang too high for someone who is 6-foot-6; unless s/he plays like Paul Jackson, Jr.

It begs the question: How do we compare?

Answer: Bust out your tape measure, take the center-to-center measurement of your perfectly dialed-in guitar-strap (for a standard-shaped PRS), and divide it by your height. Show your number as a decimal. The higher the number, the lower you're hangin'.

.70 <---Hans

Last edited:
OK.
I'm awake now.

PRS and EBMM - .727

(The Gibson straps would be longer due to strap button location
but the guitar would effectively hang at the same height on me.)

Wow. This is some craziness. I measured the six straps I have out on guitars, and regardless of guitar, they were all within 1/4" of each other. What makes this really interesting is the type of guitars I have out, and I feel comfortable with how they all hang:

1) PRS SC HB
2) Fender Strat
3) Taylor Solidbody (singlecut)
4) Tyler Les Paul
5) Scero Baritone
And the kicker: 6) T parlour acoustic!

Hand positions and arm positions are different across the group, but the strap stays the same. I guess I could order up some custom length straps and be total happy. Who knew?

Depends on what I'm playing with;

A55E = .70. 48/68
SE CU24 = .63. 43/68
SE245 = .66. 45/68
GSR200 Bass = .64. 44/68
Kestrel Bass = .64 44/68

That is, according to my drivers license anyway.

Last edited:
And what’s your number?

Wow. This is some craziness. I measured the six straps I have out on guitars, and regardless of guitar, they were all within 1/4" of each other. What makes this really interesting is the type of guitars I have out, and I feel comfortable with how they all hang:

1) PRS SC HB
2) Fender Strat
3) Taylor Solidbody (singlecut)
4) Tyler Les Paul
5) Scero Baritone
And the kicker: 6) T parlour acoustic!

Hand positions and arm positions are different across the group, but the strap stays the same. I guess I could order up some custom length straps and be total happy. Who knew?

Back