Hollowbody Heartbreak! My beautiful new guitar in pieces...

That’s one nasty break. Hope everything gets sorted of quickly. Is the case a PRS case by any chance?

That’s one nasty break. Hope everything gets sorted of quickly. Is the case a PRS case by any chance?

They're not a regular PRS - or at least not the rectangular one we usually associate w/PRS cases.

I'm absolutely heartbroken! I had to post something here because I knew all of you would understand how upset I am. I saw...broken headstock, broken bridge, strings all over, truss rod cover and chunks of headstock floating around in the case.

That's really bad. Return it immediately; don't give it another thought.

Last edited:
Here's a photo of how the headstock fits in the case. How that heck did THAT happen?

6ZwjEVS.jpg

I used to work for Fedex (20 years ago) when I was in college, and always worry when shipping guitars because of what I saw there. Not because people are intentionally trying to break things, but because there's a lot of boxes rushing past and you gotta work fast.

For what it's worth, mine also came from Indiana (Sweatwater) and was double boxed. Arrived in 100% perfect shape.

If they let you keep it, seriously, I'll buy it from you. I want the hardware and pickups and will put them all to good use. Plus, I would love to try to fix it.

They're the same cases (I think) as the US hollowbodies get. If they're not the same, they're definitely similar enough. I was really impressed with the quality. But you got one too right?

https://davesguitar.com/products/paul-reed-smith/hollowbody-ii-case/

I did, but I’m not familiar with the hollow body cases, so I can’t say if it’s the same. I haven’t had a chance to go look at my case to get an opinion on its sturdiness. It’s definitely not a cheap chipboard case, I can say that much.

One thing I didn’t notice until the other picture was posted - mine had bubble wrap around the headstock when my dealer cased it up. I don’t believe they added it. It doesn’t look like either of the others have it.

Yeah, mine had bubble wrap supporting the headstock.

Also, mine is still so new I can't remember the details enough to say if it's a USA case.

You have all my sympathy! :( Hasn't happened to me, hopefully never does. You'll get it sorted out for sure, keep trying to contact the seller and Fedex.

I'd accept that challenge...

From this
F8mcDyn.jpg

To this
8cXKCZt.jpg

Yeah, I don't know that the guitar's unfixable. I know a guy (I believe he's still a PRS dealer) who does amazing headstock repairs. Seamless to the point that if I ever suffer that fate, he's my first call to see about a repair. The question is, is it worth the cost of the repair? For a new production instrument, probably not. If this were a limited run or a custom order, then it might be worth incurring that cost as opposed to losing out on the guitar altogether.

That said, this is a brand new instrument, and I would hope that the dealer should be able to make things right w/the carrier to replace it.

It doesn't look like the same case my US Hollowbody ii comes with. The only thing I can say is that like the US version, it is shaped to fit around the guitar but looks like its made of a thinner material.

Regardless - its still heartbreaking to open up your case on your NGD and find it in pieces. Hope you get it sorted soon...

Wow, that would be shocking to open a case and see that! Best of luck on getting the situation right.

Dang, I can't imagine opening up that box on a such a high knowing a NGD awaits only to find that level of destruction. Hopefully your dealer will expedite the exchange to make things right and you'll soon be posting pics of your new, intact guitar.

Holy CARP!!!
How the heck does that even happen?
Looks like it was used in some sporting event!
You will be compensated properly I'm sure.
Yeesh!

Back