Hollowbody Heartbreak! My beautiful new guitar in pieces...

Thanks everyone. I was in shock when I opened that case. I was surprised when I opened the box and found no packing material around the case though, but NEVER expected the scene of devastation inside the case. The case itself seems like nice quality and was in fine condition.
I should have known better than to go with anyone other than Sweetwater. Their customer service is so great and they always do a stellar job of packaging. It looks like the seller is going to be helpful, but I still maintain that the person who packed that box should have known that their flimsy cardboard piece over the headstock and the one thing piece of bubble wrap (I'm not kidding, like a single 4x10 piece of bubble wrap) sitting on bottom of case wouldn't be adequate protection.

Ugh. Hoping to find another beauty like this one. I know I'll love any one that I get, but the flames and pattern in that mahogany just blew me away. So pretty.

I'd accept that challenge...

From this
F8mcDyn.jpg

To this
8cXKCZt.jpg

Holy smokes! If I could afford to have you fix it, I'd keep this one! Unfortunately it was a bit of a stretch for me to afford the purchase of this guitar in the first place, so I really can't spend more on it. That is really amazing that you could put those pieces back together. Cool paint job too!

That SUCKS!! Also for those that can't see the pic, try opening the pic in a new TAB, then clicking the new tab.

Holy smokes! If I could afford to have you fix it, I'd keep this one! Unfortunately it was a bit of a stretch for me to afford the purchase of this guitar in the first place, so I really can't spend more on it. That is really amazing that you could put those pieces back together. Cool paint job too!

Who said I'd charge to fix it...;)

I'm not a professional. But I have some skilz. Between me and Sergio and the cool people on this Forum, we could straighten it out. Can't say it would intonate properly, but...I loves me a project!

It looks like the seller is going to be helpful, but I still maintain that the person who packed that box should have known that their flimsy cardboard piece over the headstock and the one thing piece of bubble wrap (I'm not kidding, like a single 4x10 piece of bubble wrap) sitting on bottom of case wouldn't be adequate protection.

Sorry to hear about the damage on this one, it's a terribly bad surprise especially when there is otherwise no obvious sign of trauma on the outer box...
That said don't be too hard on the seller because what you describe above is exactly how every single SE, Core, and Private Stock guitars I bought was shipped by PRS to the dealer (and thus from the dealer to myself).
There was one exception (Music Store Live I think) where they double boxed, but other than that it was always the hardshell case inside a box with hardly any room for padding (and thus no padding) on the sides, and then just the tiny piece of 4x10 bubble wrap on both ends as you describe. I don't consider that optimal either, though it happens to work out well enough on average...

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I bought a guitar from a Japanese dealer once and they didn't even put it in a box. They just wrapped the hard case in plastic and shipped it. Amazingly, no damage to the guitar or the case, but I was very surprised.

Sorry to hear about the damage on this one, it's a terribly bad surprise especially when there is otherwise no obvious sign of trauma on the outer box...
That said don't be too hard on the seller because what you describe above is exactly how every single SE, Core, and Private Stock guitars I bought was shipped by PRS to the dealer (and thus from the dealer to myself).
There was one exception (Music Store Live I think) where they double boxed, but other than that it was always the hardshell case inside a box with hardly any room for padding (and thus no padding) on the sides, and then just the tiny piece of 4x10 bubble wrap on both ends as you describe. I don't consider that optimal either, though it happens to work out well enough on average...

Wow that's amazing! Prior to this, I've only bought guitars from local shops, Sweetwater and one (my beloved PRS Alex Lifeson) from Dave's Guitar Shop. All have been packed with padding, foam, double boxes. Even my little $199 Squier short scale bass!
Maybe I'm neurotic but I couldn't imagine entrusting any guitar to shipment in a plain box (or plastic wrap - holy schmoly!)

That being said, thank you bc your comments do make me feel a little better.

For what it's worth, I bought a guitar from a Japanese dealer once and they didn't even put it in a box. They just wrapped the hard case in plastic and shipped it. Amazingly, no damage to the guitar or the case, but I was very surprised.

That is amazing! You must have been shocked to discover that it was okay! Whew, glad that ended up okay.

So my question is ... If the remains become a project, will pickup splits be added?

Inquiring minds want to know!

I have to return it to the seller, so I'll never know! I just hope someone somewhere can fix it. It's too pretty to end up as scrap.

That’s a shame, really!

Back in the day, when I was in college I had a Martin D-18 that needed a fix for a bowed neck. In those days, Martin didn’t use adjustable truss rods; they’d put the neck on a press, apply pressure, and leave it like that for however long it took to fix it.

When I called Martin to find out how to ship it, the guy said, “Roll up a T-shirt under the headstock, and just have UPS ship it to us in the case. Put a tag on the handle with your name and address.” So that’s what I did. the case was the traditional Martin wooden case covered with Tolex. Obviously, I didn’t even lock it.

It got there and back fine, but the case was pretty scuffed up. For years, I thought that’s how things were supposed to be done. I even checked that guitar and case into airline baggage*, as-is, no protection. A bunch of times!

I’m pretty sure both that guitar and case were immortal. But I traded it in on a higher end Martin ten years later. It’s probably somewhere out on the road right now, still going strong, in a scuffed up case.

Either that, or Sergio pitched it into a campfire. ;)

*You thought I was going to say ‘covered wagon or stagecoach baggage,’ didn’t you?

Last edited:
I’m sorry you have to deal with this. I’ve bought and resold over 40 PRS, and never gotten or sent one in a double box. Only one was stolen/damaged while in the hands of UPS. I sold it, and it was a 10 month nightmare.

Wow, that’s horrible! I’m so sorry. Hope your new guitar is just as beautiful and in your hands soon. I really like what I’ve heard from these HB standards.

Back