Hollowbody Heartbreak! My beautiful new guitar in pieces...

Katherine S

Multi-Mediocre
I'm absolutely heartbroken! I had to post something here because I knew all of you would understand how upset I am. I ordered my SE Hollowbody Standard the other day (I won't mention seller but it wasn't SW) and it arrived today while I was at work. I had it sent to a Fed Ex pickup center because I knew I wouldn't be home. I picked it up after work, carefully brought it home, let it sit inside for a few more hours, opened the box and when I opened the hard case, I saw...broken headstock, broken bridge, strings all over, truss rod cover and chunks of headstock floating around in the case.

I can't reach the seller because it is 11pm CST. Just had to share photos with people who would understand how crushed I am to see what happened. It was in its hard case but was NOT double boxed, so who knows what happened.

RM6QsmB
(if you right click on this and select open image in another tab you'll see all the pics)

this is how all indonesian guitars ship, you need one from korea of mecxico.

honestly how does that even happen? i’ve had destroyed cabs but never a guitar.

This came from Indiana! I saw several pictures of it on their website so whoever packed it from there just didn't do a careful job. I'm so upset. I can only imagine that someone at FedEx or at the pickup center dropped it, and because it wasn't double boxed the impact just took it to pieces.

This came from Indiana! I saw several pictures of it on their website so whoever packed it from there just didn't do a careful job. I'm so upset. I can only imagine that someone at FedEx or at the pickup center dropped it, and because it wasn't double boxed the impact just took it to pieces.
I’m from Indiana and think my headstock is still intact. Wait, let me check on that. Maybe get a second opinion?

Sorry, just adding something light to a tragic post. I’m sure it’ll work out, but that still stinks. :(

Crikey, that would have had to have had some serious bad care from the 'carriers' to break the headstock from inside of a case

You'll get another one, but its a real shame as it was such a pretty mahogany top. What a waste :(

I didn’t see the pics either, so I can’t judge the packer, but obviously sometimes the damage is caused by the carrier. I’ve had several experiences of carrier damage where the packaging was excellent. My favorite example was a PRS I shipped to the West Coast. UPS snapped the guitar, the guitar hard case, and the box into 2 pieces in the middle. Why my favorite example? Because UPS initially denied the claim as “shipper negligence.” I kid you not. I guess it’s no surprise really, since they always initially reply that way when damage occurs (as opposed to lost). They did eventually pay. And the good news for you is that the shipper will have to make this right with the carrier; not you.

Sorry it happened to you, and I hope it’s resolved with little inconvenience to you.

Last edited:
How did that get through QC? That thing should have been perfect out of the box! :p

I feel for you. I've never had a PRS shipped that was double-boxed, and I've never had one damaged in transit. The closest was an indentation in the box that went through to the case. Left a dimple on the case, but didn't seem to affect the structural integrity of the case itself. That guitar must have taken a wallop - it took me a few seconds to realize that it was the TRC at the bottom of the case and that the TRC was broken. Hopefully your dealer gets this taken care of w/the carrier. And that you find (and receive) a replacement in short order.

This blows... i feel sorry for you. This isn't what a NGD should be like :(

For those who can't see the images....
XwaXxOD.jpg
qMbbqaP.jpg
2wOoiaj.jpg
6oEnTq8.jpg
Pj55Co0.jpg
PWKBvft.jpg
MWUUkI4.jpg
gz62APk.jpg
ogJWkhP.jpg

To me, it definitely looks like somebody dropped it hard on the headstock side of the case, snapping the headstock off. Poor packaging and mishandling would be the causes of this, in my opinion. I know all carriers can't treat EVERY package they handle with extreme caution and baby gloves, and accidents happen, so I'd chalk this one up to the responsibility of the seller.

Hopefully it's a reputable dealer you purchased this from and they can get you sorted out quickly.

Regardless, though....it REALLY sucks to have an expected NGD get sh*t on like this. I hope it gets resolved for you soon.

I feel for you. That is just horrible. I'm sure your seller will take care of you. Best wishes! Keep us posted.

Wow thank you everyone for your empathy and support. Thanks especially to ElrytNamrogo for posting the pics for me. I'm a newbie and I could not get my pics to show up!
PRS was super nice (they always are) and responded to me first thing this morning but apologized and said it looks like a total loss. My 11pm email to seller bounced back and no response to my voice mails yet. Will keep you posted.
Thanks for understanding! Your kind remarks have made me feel a little better.

Back