Has this been mentioned yet....?

With the undeniable massive success of the Silver Sky, both in the "Core" and the "SE" lines, it would be a shame to miss the opportunity to keep that perpetual motion going. Introducing a new "tweaked" model within the Silver Sky platform just makes perfect business sense to me.
Except they’re only doing 1000 of them.

I felt the same. Limited release goes against the silver sky philosophy. A few people will snatch these up and then some will turn up for resale for a lot more money. Limited release means guitars for the quick or the rich! I still love my silver sky though.
Well, this is at least the third limited edition run in the Silver Sky line, so it's not unprecedented. And it does match one of John's guitars, so it's not like they've gone way off the charts.

And based on what happened with the previous runs. It'll likely go just as you've described - quite a few of these will be bought to be flipped.

Well, this is at least the third limited edition run in the Silver Sky line, so it's not unprecedented. And it does match one of John's guitars, so it's not like they've gone way off the charts.

And based on what happened with the previous runs. It'll likely go just as you've described - quite a few of these will be bought to be flipped.
How many o the Robben Ford model were made? About the same? 1000?

I really like it. I have a Silver Sky so I love the guitar but I was wondering what a hardtail would be like. I'm thinking it's going to be pricey.

Seems like a cool guitar.

I'd buy one, but I'm saving up for an accordion.

"You're going to get one for free in Hell, Laz, and you'll have eternity to play it. Why waste your money on one now?"

"I figure I need to practice so I can join The Eternal All-Accordion Band From Hell as soon as I get there."

"They cut off your head when you play in that band, you know."

"In an all-accordion band, not being able to hear your music is probably a good thing."

"Sure you don't want to be in The Eternal Accordion And Banjo Band From Hell?"

"Depends what body part they cut off."

"Any interest in learning bagpipes? They don't cut off anything in the bagpipe band."

"I think I'd rather have them cut my head off."

Last edited:
I like the tone in the video and I think I like what the "Blaster" does and what the apparent effect of the snugly fit brass block with no tremolo springs has on the guitar.

Seems to thicken up the sound with more mids but I REALLY wouldn't know without playing one.

I am not a lover of Jerry Garcia's electric playing. Too squeaky clean for me.

There's no way I'll be buying one. Just too expensive for me. But I'd love to have one.

Maybe if I can "Keep on truckin' " a little longer I'll make one...

I thought the point of a Silver Sky was that they were all like John’s guitar.

Exactly.... And, what about that insanely expensive Private Stock guitar that John Mayer spec'd out for his time playing in Dead & Company? I thought THAT was THEE guitar he needed in order to nail the Jerry Garcia sound? Then came the Silver Sky and then that became the guitar he needed to play the rest of his music. Now we have a Dead Spec guitar where the first 1000 lucky customers will get a really good reason to NOT buy that super expensive Private Stock model (whatever it was called) for the low-low price of only $3000.00. But you must act now! Supplies are limited!

ANyway, I really enjoy seeing the lines of hippy wagons lined up for miles whenever a Dead show comes into town. Groovy people. I've met a number of them while they were camping out near the venue as they followed the tour across the country. A very unique crowd for sure.

Seems like a cool guitar.

I'd buy one, but I'm saving up for an accordion.

"You're going to get one for free in Hell, Laz, and you'll have eternity to play it. Why waste your money on one now?"

"I figure I need to practice so I can join The Eternal All-Accordion Band From Hell as soon as I get there."

"They cut off your head when you play in that band, you know."

"In an all-accordion band, not being able to hear your music is probably a good thing."

"Sure you don't want to be in The Eternal Accordion And Banjo Band From Hell?"

"Depends what body part they cut off."

"Any interest in learning bagpipes? They don't cut off anything in the bagpipe band."

"I think I'd rather have them cut my head off."
You could write Stairway to Hell.............think of all the young accordion players getting that look for playing it in music stores!!!!!!

You could write Stairway to Hell.............think of all the young accordion players getting that look for playing it in music stores!!!!!!
In the US a 90 year old accordionist is considered a 'young player'.

But I found this send-up of Vivaldi by a young Ukrainian duo that was done before the war. It's pretty amazing actually.

Back