PRS Silver Sky Poly VS Nitro - I don't feel the difference

guitar_string

Hello

I have already 3 PRS Silver Sky USA. One in Horizon color from 2018 (first edition) in Poly finish. Very thin layer.

After I purchased a Maple version from 2021 in Moc Sand color. I sold it.

Recently I have a nice color Roxy Pink with Rosewood from 2023 in Nitro finish.

The topic are that I can't find difference in sound from 2018 (poly) or 2023 (nitro). More than that, for me the 2018 sounds and feel better:

Why?

Thanks, best regards

prs-john-mayer-sky-horizon3.jpg

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJwcnNpbWFnZXMiLCJrZXkiOiJndWl0YXItaW1hZ2VzL3NpbHZlci1za3ktcm94eS1waW5rLWdhbGxlcnktMjAyMS0xLmpwZyIsImVkaXRzIjp7ImpwZWciOnsicXVhbGl0eSI6ODIsInByb2dyZXNzaXZlIjp0cnVlLCJ0cmVsbGlzUXVhbnRpc2F0aW9uIjp0cnVlLCJvdmVyc2hvb3REZXJpbmdpbmciOnRydWUsIm9wdGltaXplU2NhbnMiOnRydWV9LCJyZXNpemUiOnsid2lkdGgiOjE2MDAsImhlaWdodCI6ODAwLCJmaXQiOiJjb3ZlciJ9LCJzaGFycGVuIjp0cnVlfX0=

Last edited:
The finish difference is only the body the neck has always been Nitro.
To be honest if done correctly ( as PRS has done for years ) I don't think a normal person will hear the difference between a poly or nitro finish on an electric guitar.
The biggest difference is they changed the pickups I think for 2020 to be lower output.

PRS has mastered the poly finish to the point of it not feeling like those thick plastic-like guitars of the past. I dropped by GC tonight and played an SE 594 Standard. The finish was smooth, had plenty of sheen, but the wood didn't feel drenched in goo like some others in that price point.

All that being said, the old-school guitar nerd in me's been looking to get another SS (I had an early midnight rose that just didn't speak to me) and I lean more towards the '20+ models which are full nitro. Presented with the right deal though, I wouldn't hesitate to go for one of the earlier poly/nitro ones.

PRS has mastered the poly finish to the point of it not feeling like those thick plastic-like guitars of the past. I dropped by GC tonight and played an SE 594 Standard. The finish was smooth, had plenty of sheen, but the wood didn't feel drenched in goo like some others in that price point.

All that being said, the old-school guitar nerd in me's been looking to get another SS (I had an early midnight rose that just didn't speak to me) and I lean more towards the '20+ models which are full nitro. Presented with the right deal though, I wouldn't hesitate to go for one of the earlier poly/nitro ones.

Yes perfectly
All right! Today poly is better applied and thinner, more plastic effect, the advantages of having a poly finish far outweigh it but for the relic side nothing beats nitro!

Nitro makes for invisible repairs too. Poly sucks for that but is more durable so somewhat less chance of needing repair.

I recently picked up a McCarty Soapbar goldtop and the finish is chipping off in chunks across the body. Granted, it wasn’t well taken care of before I acquired it, but to your point, nitro ages and takes a beating in a much more acceptable way.

Side note, I decided to return the McSoapy this evening. By the time I’d replace everything on it to get it up to spec, I’d be too deep in the hole.

I own a 2018 Onyx and a 2023 Roxy Pink.
IMHO, the biggest and most noticeable differences are in feel when it comes to the neck (2018: lacquered neck vs 2023: more of a satin feel, or less lacquered), frets (2018: 6230 frets vs 2023: 6105), and sound but that’s mostly about volume and not character.
The best solution is to keep both and use them to their best capabilities! Cheers!

Back