US Silver Sky vs Silver Sky SE

Revelation

I know this can be a touchy subject for some, and I will try to be fair on this matter. After purchasing a US Silver Sky, PRS came out with the maple neck available for the Silver Sky SE. Now you can buy 2 Silver Sky SE''s and still have about $1,000 in savings over purchasing one US version. Is the US version really worth it over the SE version? The videos on Youtube I saw when they compared them was helpful but it did not help me resolve the questions I had in my mind and heart.

So I went to BCR Music that carried both versions and I was able to A/B them.
First off, I can say with confidence that both are great guitars, and you can be happy with either the US or SE version. Both play great, both look great, the quality of the instruments are really nice, and both guitar pickups (though different) sound really nice. The question I had was, is the US version really worth 3 times the price of the SE version? I will get to the finish line here and tell you, for me, it's worth it if you can swing it.

1BOJWXN.jpg

Zv7ivAQ.jpg

If you read reviews, or just look up the specs we know the following.
Silver Sky SE VS US Silver Sky
Poplar wood vs Alder wood
Standard tuners vs Locking tuners
Synthetic nut vs bone nut
635JM S pickups 635 JM (2021 and forward - version 2).
2 point tremolo vs 6 point tremolo
Poly finish vs Nitrocellulose
Multi ply neck vs Scarfed neck
Frets are larger on US
8.5 radius neck vs 7.25 radius neck

Here are my observations on the differences between them.
1. When you slide your hand up and down the SE neck, by the high e string, the frets are a little sharp while the US version is smoother.
2. The bigger frets you notice on the US version. Personal preference if you like one more than the other.
3. The poly finish on the SE looks a little plastic compared to the US version. If you didn't compare the two you wouldn't notice it. For clarification, the SE version does not have the cheap plastic look that some inexpensive Strats have.
4. The wood grain on the neck of the US version looks better.
5. Both guitars are easy to play, no issue with the different radius. This is a more personal preference.
6. The pickups on the US version are a little more glassy and open sounding. With that said, both have that Strat sound that you would expect to hear.

I hope this insight helps some of you who don't have the opportunity to try out both guitars.

Last edited:
Great write up! I’m sure the post will be reviewed by potential future purchasers trying to make a decision like the one you made. I own the USA SS but I also have an SE semihollow and SE SVN. The SEs are fantastic value for the money and I find them to be a perfect mod platform (usually tuners, pickups and electronics). That being said, the core line is the core line and it’s more a question of if the jump in quality is worth the cost considering the law of diminishing returns. And that’s a super personal decision that will vary for even the same person depending on timing or what they plan to use the guitar for.

Excellent write up, and glad you found a preference (and stated why, and why it is your opinion, not etched in stone where all who disagree are fools, etc).

If I was of more modest income and looking for a nice S-type, the SE version would indeed be on my radar. I have a mid-90s Squier Fender Mexi-Strat (first year of production, 1995?), and it was my main S-type for over two decades. The SE would be a nice step up from that, I am sure, and probably the same price after adjusting for inflation.

Yea the SE is a great guitar and with a bit of fret dress ( edge smoothing ) that are even better , they 100% are better than the $$$ they cost and that is what PRS needed to do otherwise PRS would have been roasted online !!!!
If I was modding one I would 100% use the SE as the base for the mod.
For " me " the neck shape and feel , pickup tones work better !!!! on the Core ( technically Signature Bolt on ) guitar , That Purple maple neck SE has me hot tho !!!

In my opinion USA PRS guitars (whether it’s core, bolt-on, PS etc) are the only guitars that are good value for the money. You can say that a $1000 SE plays and sounds like a $1800 guitar. Fine. That’s good. But a $4500 US PRS plays, sounds and looks like a $4 500 000 guitar. Now that’s value for money!

It sounds like a Silver Sky in between the SE and US version with a S2. I think that a good idea but it may affected sales on the US version.

Last edited:
Kind of cold when Pete said to Lee “I can’t tell the difference because you’re not playing good enough”. I know it was in jest, but he seemed to be a bit frustrated there.

In my opinion USA PRS guitars (whether it’s core, bolt-on, PS etc) are the only guitars that are good value for the money. You can say that a $1000 SE plays and sounds like a $1800 guitar. Fine. That’s good. But a $4500 US PRS plays, sounds and looks like a $4 500 000 guitar. Now that’s value for money!
After I put Chubtone '61 pickups in my green SE Silver Sky, and did a complete set up including polishing the frets and floating the tremolo, I took it to Starrs Guitars where I bought it, to show to David Starr, the owner. David's a terrific guitarist.

We compared my SE to his favorite Core Silver Sky in the store and concluded that the Core pickups were a little higher in output than the '61 Chubtones but that the SE was every bit as GREAT a guitar as the Core was.

In fact that's what David kept saying when he'd play my SE: "What a great guitar!"

I don't think he was just being polite.

Remember it's not just about the pickups, but the neck, frets, radius as well as small things like locking tuners. Fo some, getting and SE and smiling each time you play it, is the right answer. Others want to buy a SE, make an update or two, and they will have that contentment with the guitar. Others will want the US version and only that will give them that same smile.
There is no one guitar fits all. It all depends on what is right for you and your budget.

Remember it's not just about the pickups, but the neck, frets, radius as well as small things like locking tuners. Fo some, getting and SE and smiling each time you play it, is the right answer. Others want to buy a SE, make an update or two, and they will have that contentment with the guitar. Others will want the US version and only that will give them that same smile.
There is no one guitar fits all. It all depends on what is right for you and your budget.
I've already said that I prefer the SE neck, frets, fretboard radius and the vibrato.

The Core model has a "better" nut and better pickups.

Locking tuners are nice to have but not essnetial for me. My guitars stay in tune with each string "locked" with the luthiers knot.

What I'm saying is that in order to transform my two SE's into two of the best strat style guitars I've ever owned, all it took was an entire evening or two spent doing a complete set up, and new pickups in each.

I did buy an assortment of those PRS brass infused nuts.

Haven't checked yet to see if one will fit the SE Silver Sky.

After I put Chubtone '61 pickups in my green SE Silver Sky, and did a complete set up including polishing the frets and floating the tremolo, I took it to Starrs Guitars where I bought it, to show to David Starr, the owner. David's a terrific guitarist.

We compared my SE to his favorite Core Silver Sky in the store and concluded that the Core pickups were a little higher in output than the '61 Chubtones but that the SE was every bit as GREAT a guitar as the Core was.

In fact that's what David kept saying when he'd play my SE: "What a great guitar!"

I don't think he was just being polite.
No doubt. I feel the same way about my only SE, the Santana Singlecut with Trem. I changed the wiring, cap, pickups and tuners. The only thing now that seperates it from some of the best guitars I know is the rosewood fretboard, which is quite grainy/scratchy. It will no doubt get smoother over the years, then it will be perfect.

I wish the USA SS would have a fatter neck with a different radius. Is the SE neck bigger than the slim USA neck? I haven’t bothered to check one out yet.

No doubt. I feel the same way about my only SE, the Santana Singlecut with Trem. I changed the wiring, cap, pickups and tuners. The only thing now that seperates it from some of the best guitars I know is the rosewood fretboard, which is quite grainy/scratchy. It will no doubt get smoother over the years, then it will be perfect.

I wish the USA SS would have a fatter neck with a different radius. Is the SE neck bigger than the slim USA neck? I haven’t bothered to check one out yet.
The SE Silver Sky neck feels like it has a flatter radius and higher frets. Which I prefer. The fingerboard edges are rounded but seem less rounded than the Core version.

The Core cersion is probably patterned after John Mayer's favorite Strat. The SE is not....as far as I know.

You can look up all these specs on the PRS homepage.

Back