Gibson Guitar CEO Gets ENRAGED If Someone Asks For a Day Off.

It's one thing to have policies for this kind of stuff, but it's something else entirely when they're nonsensical. So, the people there can't function well if their manager is working a short week, but if he/she is out for a whole week, that's better? Tons of people will take a vacation day around a holiday to make a longer week.

And 40% of the days people take off are Mondays and Fridays - I read that in Dilbert.

+1, if a supervisor takes a day here and there and his staff can't function... yikes. I guess the G can have whatever time off policies they want, but I would view adding a day or two to a long weekend as a kind of benefit, and it's one that lots of other companies offer/allow.

I'm going to try not to make this about PRS vs Gibson, but let me just say I've never cared for Henry J as a businessman, and I am a long time lover of the Gibson brand of guitars, especially those made back in the 50s and 60s and I love Les Pauls, SGs, 335s, etc.

But no thank you to their modern offerings. I love Gibson, I do, but not in their current form. I firmly believe PRS is making the best guitars of our time right now and that they are putting out the best stuff out of anyone big or small.

Also +1, love the classic G designs - I would love a 335. I'm in West Michigan, so when that day comes, The Heritage is where you'll find me!

I don't care for Henry's management style and business tactics, but to give him some credit I'd have to say that the identified "executive" definitely soundly rattled Henry's cage; sending "cc's" all over the place inappropriately, etc. I expect that the executive did indeed get a personal talking to and may or may not still have his job - rightly or wrongly. No one in a management position likes to be "gamed".

Many references here to a false charge of illegally importing hardwoods. Gibson had an agreement with that country for the importation. There is no US law forbidding it. The issue was actually around a law over there, not here, that requires that Inian labor finish the boards there prior to shipping. Gibson uses people here to make the U.S. made guitars. But like I mentioned, Gibson has an agreement with India for their arrangement. Mod Edit

Last edited by a moderator:
... Mod Edit...

That's a pretty high dollar word and used almost correctly. You are to be congratulated. However, when applied to this thread it seems, to me at least, that it has little application. The comments here were mostly aplolitical, on a different topic, and rather tame. We may not care for Gibson quality, and their management, but we, almost to a person, respect their history and wish them as an American manufacturer no ill will. If they end up going under I expect it will be more because of their 29% price increase and no imporvement in quality, rather than whether or not they donated to any political party.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a Gibson Les Paul this year because the price was so cheap. I am use to the quality of PRS Guitars. The Les Paul was just thrown together! The frets had sharp edges that kept cutting my skin. I took the guitar back the next day. Spent a little bit more money on a PRS SC250 and love that guitar. I can't put it down! I have 6 PRS Guitars. Love every one! If Gibson still made quality guitars I would've felt the same way about that Les Paul! PRS SE models are no slouch either! Love em!

01 CE22, 08 SC250, SE Tremonti, SE Zach Myers Silverburst and Trampas Green, SE245

I bought a Gibson Les Paul this year because the price was so cheap.
The Les Paul was just thrown together!

You bought a Les Paul that was cheap and were surprised that the build quality wasn't there? Which Les Paul model?
And to be honest PRS can't make a MUSA guitar for cheap either.

BTW: I showed the article to my HR exec wife and she laughed. If someone pulled a stunt like the fellow that Henry is addressing in the company my wife works for he'd be getting a surprise visit from my wife (aka The Terminator).

Last edited:
That article and this thread seem unnecessary...

The "us vs them" mentality with brand aficionados has ruined many another forum. No need to bring it here. Let's talk about PRS and everyone-else-be-damned.

I tried to emphasize that it wasn't a thread to bash Gibson per se, but more of a thread to appreciate how PRS is run and also how I can't believe it was big enough news to make Gawker. Having some of my best friends working at PRS, it makes me appreciate how the company is run and Paul's legacy. The pixelated Les Paul was a joke, but nothing more than that.

Also a lot of members here happen to own quite a fair amount of quality Les Paul's so its all in good fun.

Bad employee morale eventually seeps into product quality an Vice Versa.

How dare you! Didn't you just get done reading that the CEO doesn't approve vacation requests that are outside of clearly stated company policy, and then has the gall to be upset when said employee instead takes a sick day???It is obviously we who should be making said company's policies. Until he agrees, NO LES PAUL's.

(BTW, I'll take the one on the far right, if you're done with it...!!!)

Bad employee morale eventually seeps into product quality an Vice Versa.

and people that complain about their jobs are usually not busy enough.... Who knows the real story. I have a CC Montrose LP that is superb and a McCarty Dallas Shootout that is also really nice. I bought them each on their own merits. As a brand, Gibson has done a phenomenal job - you may not like the style, but the results speak loudly.

I work in semiconductors so I used to think I would like to move to California for a bit, but this article reminds me why not. In general it seems many Americans work to live and have very few holidays. I get decent money, work 9-5:30 unless there's a deadline and get 33 paid holidays per year. In Germany I'd be looking at 45 holidays per year!

Back