From Aunt Jane’s scrapbook…..

11top

Cousin Eddie's cousin
My Aunt Jane was cleaning out her closets recently and sent me a number of old newspapers articles she had saved. From time to time, I have written here about my love of wood which dates back to my childhood and following my dad around to distant and local sawmills back in the 50s on. There is a reason I used to hand-carry exotic and figured woods to Stevensville (back in the day when it was tolerated) before the vault had such things as ziracote, lace burl redwood, purpleheart, claro walnut and such. I got the disease honestly from my dad.

So one of the ancient clippings from 1960 shows a picture of my dad and some of his fancy wood creations. It also mentions in the article about his exploratory trips to sawmills to find treasures. Yours truly used to tag along.

Last edited:
My Aunt Jane was cleaning out her closets recently and sent me a number of old newspapers articles she had saved. From time to time, I have written here about my love of wood which dates back to my childhood and following my dad around to distant and local sawmills back in the 50s on. There is a reason I used to hand-carry exotic and figured woods to Stevensville (back in the day when it was tolerated) before the vault had such things as ziracote, lace burl redwood, purpleheart, claro walnut and such. I got the disease honestly from my dad.

So one of the ancient clippings from 1960 shows a picture of my dad and some of his fancy wood creations. It also mentions in the article about his exploratory trips to sawmills to find treasures. Yours truly used to tag along.

A fab bit of family history - thanks for sharing. In one of my Gibson-themed books Ted McCarty talks about travelling to Michigan wood mills with John Huis to pick out timber of Gibson back in the day. Possible you or your dad met them.

Back