Found this pic... makes me happy & sad

Lucky enough to see him once with the Fabulous Thunderbirds in 90 or 91, in 2007 at Clapton’s Crossroads. My favorite time was the late 90s. B.B. King, Etta James and Buddy Guy. Flippin’ great show.
Are you in Chicago? I’ve been to IL twice with work and both times met buddy at his club, got signatures etc. What a character, I loved every minute there and would love to get back before it’s too late. (Long way from Melbourne though)

Are you in Chicago? I’ve been to IL twice with work and both times met buddy at his club, got signatures etc. What a character, I loved every minute there and would love to get back before it’s too late. (Long way from Melbourne though)

Yep, suburbs. Buddy is the absolute bomb!

REO Speedwagon, ZZ Top, Floyd, Journey, Oh, and let's not forget the Commodores...

Yeah, I'm old...

I’ll show you old.........

Jimi and The Who with Keith Moon (at the Muncie Fairgrounds) and the Stones with Brian Jones. How about Paul Revere and the Raiders and the Turtles (with Flo and Eddie) playing at a Holiday Inn lounge?

Yep, suburbs. Buddy is the absolute bomb!

Going to see Buddy in a couple months. This’ll be about 7 times, I think. Got a pick at one show. First time I saw him was about 1990 - opening for John Mayall. It was Buddy, then Buddy and Junior Wells, then Mayall. Buddy tore the place apart and just owned the joint.

Sitting at intermission of Alan Parsons right now. Saw him in December when they did all of I, Robot. This show may be even better. Good lord - seven vocalists harmonizing on “Don’t Answer Me” is a slice of heaven. Two hour drive each way is totally worth it.

Going to see Buddy in a couple months. This’ll be about 7 times, I think. Got a pick at one show. First time I saw him was about 1990 - opening for John Mayall. It was Buddy, then Buddy and Junior Wells, then Mayall. Buddy tore the place apart and just owned the joint.

Sitting at intermission of Alan Parsons right now. Saw him in December when they did all of I, Robot. This show may be even better. Good lord - seven vocalists harmonizing on “Don’t Answer Me” is a slice of heaven. Two hour drive each way is totally worth it.

Awesomely cool!

Sometimes it’s good to have missed your hero’s. I saw Prince on the Musicology tour, and it was so contrived and awful that my friend and I ran out through a torrential downpour to sit in my car in the parking lot to wait for the show to let out. She and I were laughing so hard at the suckage that it was visually pissing off the people we sat around, and we are both huge Prince fans. The same thing happened when my wife and I went to see Santana a few years back, only we weren’t laughing, just bored.

The list of people I really must see is rather small these days, like three bands tops.
Santana in ‘79 was a performance of a lifetime. It wasn’t all about him back then. The vocalist was fantastic and the rest of the band was on fire. The stories I have from surviving the show, but can’t share on the Internet, are fantastic!

My Prince show experience was not as bad as yours. Probably about ‘84 and I have no idea what the tour was. Shiela E opened and was amazing, but we had been indulging a bit too much before the show so it’s still a bit fuzzy. Prince slayed. Even from our shitty seats it was fantastic. Again the pre and post concert stories are ones you don’t share with your kids...awesome.

I’ve seen so many shows...some I don’t remember attending, for one reason or another. :rolleyes: How I survived some of them, I’ll never know. But man, talent like that doesn’t exist much anymore. And the $7.95 ticket price is completely gone.

Last edited:
Santana in ‘79 was a performance of a lifetime. It wasn’t all about him back then. The vocalist was fantastic and the rest of the band was on fire. The stories I have from surviving the show, but can’t share on the Internet, are fantastic!

My Prince show experience was not as bad as yours. Probably about ‘84 and I have no idea what the tour was. Shiela E opened and was amazing, but we had been indulging a bit too much before the show so it’s still a bit fuzzy. Prince slayed. Even from our shitty seats it was fantastic. Again the pre and post concert stories are ones you don’t share with your kids...awesome.

I’ve seen so many shows...some I don’t remember attending, for one reason or another. :rolleyes: How I survived some of them, I’ll never know. But man, talent like that doesn’t exist much anymore. And the $7.95 ticket price is completely gone.
I saw Santana and Clapton. Might have been around 1975 or so.
Before the show started, some dude stripped down to nothing and started doing cartwheels in front of the stage.
He got a standing O before he was unceremoniously carted away.
The show was good too.

I saw Santana and Clapton. Might have been around 1975 or so.
Before the show started, some dude stripped down to nothing and started doing cartwheels in front of the stage.
He got a standing O before he was unceremoniously carted away.
The show was good too.

Wouldn’t a stripped down dude doing cartwheels automatically result in a “standing O?” :confused::eek::eek:

Last edited:
My only regret for not seeing a musician was Gary Moore. Hugely disappointed it never happened but he didn’t tour the states much if at all that I knew of.

As for the landmark passings for me it will be Eddie VH and Kim Basinger. EVH is self explanatory, and for me Kim was the real deal.

Following my own advice, I went to see Janet Jackson last night... and she was AWESOME. I was worried about her age, her voice, her dance moves but old girl was ready for that show. I’m so glad that I took a chance and saw her.

And the guitar intro to ‘Black Cat’ shook the whole venue!

Following my own advice, I went to see Janet Jackson last night... and she was AWESOME. I was worried about her age, her voice, her dance moves but old girl was ready for that show. I’m so glad that I took a chance and saw her.

I would’ve spontaneously gotten pregnant during That’s the Way Love Goes if I was there.

Similar vein: I was to go see Michael Jackson’s This Is It at the O for my birthday. I hadn’t wanted to spend the money when he was within driving distance earlier in his career.

Sometimes it’s good to have missed your hero’s. I saw Prince on the Musicology tour, and it was so contrived and awful that my friend and I ran out through a torrential downpour to sit in my car in the parking lot to wait for the show to let out. She and I were laughing so hard at the suckage that it was visually pissing off the people we sat around, and we are both huge Prince fans. The same thing happened when my wife and I went to see Santana a few years back, only we weren’t laughing, just bored.
The list of people I really must see is rather small these days, like three bands tops.

This... is the exact reason I refuse to see KISS in concert. Or Van Halen.
I absolutely worshiped these bands as a teenager (kinda still do). But Paul Stanley can't sing anymore. Neither can David Lee Roth. They just sound like s-h-i-t.
And that's not how I want to remember them...

I've seen KISS three times. The last was in 1995, and they were still awesome. Went downhill fast after that.
I've only seen Van Halen once. 1984 Tour (they came to town in 1985). I was 15 years old... best concert of my life.

On the other hand; I just took my two teenage boys to see Def Leppard this past summer. And they still sound fantastic!
I saw them in 1988. Hysteria Tour (in the round), and it was a wicked concert.
For guys that are in their 60's (Joe Elliot turned 60 the night we saw them), Def Leppard can still fully kick it.

This... is the exact reason I refuse to see KISS in concert. Or Van Halen.
I absolutely worshiped these bands as a teenager (kinda still do). But Paul Stanley can't sing anymore. Neither can David Lee Roth. They just sound like s-h-i-t.
And that's not how I want to remember them...

I've seen KISS three times. The last was in 1995, and they were still awesome. Went downhill fast after that.
I've only seen Van Halen once. 1984 Tour (they came to town in 1985). I was 15 years old... best concert of my life.

On the other hand; I just took my two teenage boys to see Def Leppard this past summer. And they still sound fantastic!
I saw them in 1988. Hysteria Tour (in the round), and it was a wicked concert.
For guys that are in their 60's (Joe Elliot turned 60 the night we saw them), Def Leppard can still fully kick it.

Dude, if you can still see Kiss on their End of the Road tour, you should do it. I’ve seen them somewhere between 15 and 20 time since ‘83. I would agree that there was a downturn in the 2000s, but this was, hands down, the best show I’ve seen them do. And, I don’t care if Paul was using backing tracks. I hadn’t seen them on the last few tours because they just do the do the same old things. This show was something different, dare I say Special..

Back