Forum Truss Rod Cover

I can't make my mind up on the word forum. The actual word itself is a bit dull. If it said 'PRS Forum' or 'The PRS Forum' that works a little better than just 'Forum' on it's own. Personally I can take it or leave it for the most part, indeed I like the look of the graphic and text versions in post #289.

The only thing I'm not keen on with HS's design is the bird. It's not the shape or the species but it seems a little like an afterthought. the paisley pattern in the background and the moon looks amazing but the bird seems like it's stuck on. I'd love to see a mock up of how it would look with the bird as an outline and the paisley pattern of the background and moon visible within the bird. I can't help but think this would help the whole design blend better.

Regardless, a +1 to the hard work HS has done!

To me, the bird and moon design, even with the paisley, is still a bit too reminiscent of BAM. Not that I don't like the paisley;I do. But IMO it points too much towards the wrong community. I still think it's a good idea, and I think it would sell like crazy (especially an all paisley version) whether it's the official forum TRC or not.

The paisley I think says classy; I just don't think it says 'PRS Forum', and that's our objective if I'm not mistaken.

And as 'Mikegarveyblues' said, I salute the work that's been done up to this point. And I'm not talking about my own; I'm talking about by everyone.

Lloyd

Last edited:
8518998471_e314f23093_b.jpg

Lloyd's birds, Bill's f -hole/forum with a slight tweak on the PRS and Est. 2012 by me.

Folks, here is an idea. PLEASE don't think I'm pushing for this because I was involved in it. I like it, yes; but I want something that we all like in the end. If that doesn't happen, then what's the point? If we can't all agree on something, then I'd rather just let it go.

With that in mind, how about this: This design above that several of us worked on, PLACED ON TOP OF the paisley background? Is there a way to fuse the two and see how that looks? I think it would please a lot of people, cover most of the elements wanted by everyone, and be very difficult for the wrong people to copy and throw on an auction.

Lloyd

Last edited:
Folks, here is an idea. PLEASE don't think I'm pushing for this because I was involved in it. I like it, yes; but I want something that we all like in the end. If that doesn't happen, then what's the point? If we can't all agree on something, then I'd rather just let it go.

With that in mind, how about this: This design above that several of us worked on, PLACED ON TOP OF the paisley background? Is there a way to fuse the two and see how that looks? I think it would please a lot of people, cover most of the elements wanted by everyone, and be very difficult for the wrong people to copy and throw on an auction.

Lloyd

If anyone has the skills to implement Lloyd's idea above, I think it would be great to get a look at that concept.

Big ups to Shawn for this idea! An exclusive TRC for US would be very cool to have. But in the interest of our sanity, I'd like to make a motion that if we have no fresh design ideas by Monday morning, we put this thing to a vote or put it to bed...

This is attainable guys, much more so than a Forum guitar, and whatever the majority wants, I'm all for. Regardless of my own or anyone else's involvement. It's just tiring to read the same back and forth argument that will never be settled in conversation. At some point we just have to move forward or move on...

Much love and respect to everyone here...

Big ups to Shawn for this idea! An exclusive TRC for US would be very cool to have. But in the interest of our sanity, I'd like to make a motion that if we have no fresh design ideas by Monday morning, we put this thing to a vote or put it to bed...

This is attainable guys, much more so than a Forum guitar, and whatever the majority wants, I'm all for. Regardless of my own or anyone else's involvement. It's just tiring to read the same back and forth argument that will never be settled in conversation. At some point we just have to move forward or move on...

I agree. I can't really see a single Forum Guitar ever happening, but the TRC is almost in our grasp. Hopefully.

My love, respect, and thanks to all involved too.

Lloyd

Agreed. There won't be a design that pleases everyone. At some point some designs will need to go into a vote.

Hopeful Sinner's paisley background was better than the one I found but as a mock up it gives the idea... Sorry about the small size (To scale is my excuse!) :)

8521601689_6d65a82bdf_m.jpg

WOW. I think IF we can get the contrast and proportions right, and IF it could be done from a manufacturing standpoint, this one is great. Thanks for doing this.

Lloyd

That's better... Although I preffered the layout of the birds in the original.

Ruger, have you got a copy of that paisley design? The actual background pattern?

Yes, but it's a jpeg and low quality. If we ever get near a design we like, I can draw everything in Freehand for Mac, which is what I think PRS uses in house, and send them a file they can scale to any size without pixilation.

I'm not putting any time into the paisley until it's a go because that will literally take me hours to draw as bezier curves.

I'm eager to see where we land on this because there are so many options. It could take multiple polls.
Birds yes or no? How many - one or the 9 from a 22 fret or the 10 from a 24 fret?
Moon yes or no?
"PRS" yes or no?
"Official" yes or no?
"Forum" yes or no? f-hole'f' yes or no?
"Est. 2012" yes or no?
Paisley yes or no?
guitar shape yes or no? which one?

Last edited:
Here it is centered like Lloyd's but with the 9th bird from the 24th fret. No love for the Owl? (there are of course 10 birds on a 24 fret, but I haven't found a good image of the Storm Petrel yet to draw.)

98BirdsFpaisley2_zps796b6553.jpg

Last edited:
I like this, but not crazy about the f. Think it almost blends with the birds. Can you show it with the f matching orum?

I just put a new test image in my avatar spot. It's just a random paisley image I found on the web. This is just to give an idea, so it's not perfect. It's got 'my' eight bird layout and text with the offset 'Est. 2012", the f-hole, all on the paisley background. I didn't worry about details like centering, proportions, and contrast; I just wanted to get something together with these features. I have a large version if anybody wants. I also have a clear version with only the eight birds and text that can be laid over whatever.

(I'm sorry; I want to give credit to everybody, but I can't remember off the top of my head who did what, so please excuse that.)

IMO, this is the best design yet. But that's speaking only for myself.
Lloyd

Last edited:
Lloyd,

There are 10 different birds that PRS uses on 24 fret models, why only pick 8 of them?

(I'm getting ready to photograph the Storm Petrel now so I can draw it and update my design...)

Came to mind that PRSi refers to multiple guitars how about PRSf to refer to the forum? Might be a good inbetween for the guys that like text but not the word "forum"

Lloyd,

There are 10 different birds that PRS uses on 24 fret models, why only pick 8 of them?

(I'm getting ready to photograph the Storm Petrel now so I can draw it and update my design...)

I had the idea of the world, the globe, the community of all of us because we have members from all over. So I did a compass design. I wanted the birds, but when it was shrank down to TRC size, I felt like it lost too much definition. So, I went to eight birds, as evenly spaced at the compass points as possible. Then the idea of the f-hole f came along, so I added that. Later on, and I don't know why I did this, or if many others seem to like it, but I did the 'Est. 2012' thing. I offset it to one side, but it's since been tweaked to the center. I like it better offset, but whatever.

To stick to your question, though, I thought eight birds at the compass points of the world 'read' better. Less busy, more subtle, and classier too imo. I wasn't too concerned with using all the birds on a neck. I just felt that the most easily identified birds would say PRS Guitars just fine. Fewer birds, but bigger and clearer ones.

Lloyd

Last edited:
I get the whole 8 points of the compass thing. If I were to choose 8 of the ten, I'd put on the Storm Petrel and the Screech Owl and take off the Sparrow Landing and the Hawk Landing - they just look like blobs when they are only outlines or solids without any interior detail. The Petrel and the Owl are much more identifiable as birds in the form we are using them.

Back