Finally played a Santana!

Tag

I was able to play a Santana, an older (90s?) Cu22 artist pack and a McCarty HB1 side by side today. Well, I can no longer say PRS does not make big necks! The Santanas was big. Much bigger feeling than the other 2 which had WFs, but I liked the feel and shape of the WFs more. I was hoping to really dig the Santana, but its a 24 fretter, and I just cant adjust to the thinner sound on the neck pup. The CU 22 sounded way bigger on the neck. As a matter of fact, the CU 22 sounded way bigger on the neck than the McCarty HB1 as well. Not sure if they all came this way, (HB1s) but it had a maple top and Mahogany backs and sides from what I could tell. The CU 22s still blow me away in how huge they sound on the neck pups, and still remain my favorite PRSs.........One point..... I can now understand what an improvement the V12 is over the old poly finishes. This one (Cu22) was THICK and sticky, which I do not usually notice. The HB1 and Santana were smooth as glass, but I do not know what years or finishes they had. All three had the spot on PRS workmanship, and the Santana was stunning to look at, but was HEAVY for me. (9.5 LBS) Anyway, it was fun, all three played like the proverbial butter ;), and each was impeccably made. Love my PRSs!!!

Yup, although they tended to vary a bit, the original Santana neck is quite the handful especially when you get ahold of one on the larger side. I have a Santana Brazilian Limited (full Braz neck), and with that unfinished, glass-smooth feel it's like the best of all worlds. Mine is 8.75 lbs., but many were indeed heavier with those thick bodies and necks.

I recently played a Howard Leese Private Stock and the 24.5 inch scale length really took me by surprise. Minus the control layout, it's the Santana of my dreams. I'm really struggling with the idea...ulp...of doing another PS guitar. Why are these guitars so damn good????

I'm really struggling with the idea...ulp...of doing another PS guitar. Why are these guitars so damn good????

Because Paul R. Smith is one of the best guitar designers on the planet, and his company is built from the ground up to make great guitars.

I had to say it.

The HB I has mahogany back and sides, while the II has maple back and a mahogany rim.

I hear you on the 24 fretter. My only one is my Mira. It's not my most versatile guitar, but for the SG drive, it sounds great.

It's cooler to not like things and prefer what you already have. Saves money.

Agree 100%.....except.........There was this Fender 58 relic CS Tele hanging on the wall with a humbucker in the neck. I REALLY tried to get myself NOT to pick it up, but that did not work. I do not need to tell you what happened after that. HNGD to me.
redface.gif
One of 3 guitars I HAVE to own that are not PRSs. (Strat, Tele, all out carved jazz box.)

Last edited:
Tag, you can always add a push-pull tone pot and swap pickups. Who doesn't need another project guitar?

Why couldn't you have told me that 10 guitars ago?
Then again, if you had I might not have those nice Santanas.

Because I just pulled it outta my a$$. I don't totally believe that it cooler... just cheaper.

Agree 100%.....except.........There was this Fender 58 relic CS Tele hanging on the wall with a humbucker in the neck. I REALLY tried to get myself NOT to pick it up, but that did not work. I do not need to tell you what happened after that. HNGD to me.
redface.gif
One of 3 guitars I HAVE to own that are not PRSs. (Strat, Tele, all out carved jazz box.)

HNGD, Tag!

When Mike (Rider) was nice enough to let me check out his KL33 I really didn't want to like it, but I did, very much. That ended up costing me.

Back