Santana Retro setup specs

DANNYV23

I'm having a tricky time getting my neck pickup on my Santana Retro to really sing, it's sounds a bit muddy to my ears. I've tried the factory setup specs on the PRS website, but those only seem to work for the bridge pickup. If any Santana Retro owners could share their neck & pickup adjustment specs, I would appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

I would try playing it and try raising and lowering it to find where you like it. This isn't really a Santana issue. This is a common thing with the neck pickups and it is a little different sounding on a 24 fret guitar. The best way is to adjust it and find the place where you like it.

Agreed. I never use specs for any guitar. I start low, flush with the pickup ring, and go up or down half a turn at a time until I find that sweet spot. Typically I go back at it a day or two later to fine tune and make sure my ears weren't on overload.

The Only Real Way To Truly Find What You Are Looking For Is To Play And Adjust Until You Are Happy With The Sound. It May Take A Bit Of Time But It Is Well Worth It When You Stumble On Your Happy Place. Good Luck!

Agreed. I never use specs for any guitar. I start low, flush with the pickup ring, and go up or down half a turn at a time until I find that sweet spot. Typically I go back at it a day or two later to fine tune and make sure my ears weren't on overload.
The Only Real Way To Truly Find What You Are Looking For Is To Play And Adjust Until You Are Happy With The Sound. It May Take A Bit Of Time But It Is Well Worth It When You Stumble On Your Happy Place. Good Luck!
Do you guys have the guitar volume knob at 10 when making adjustments, or around where you normally have it? Where do you guys have the amp when adjusting?

Do you guys have the guitar volume knob at 10 when making adjustments, or around where you normally have it? Where do you guys have the amp when adjusting?
Good question. I only use 10 for kick. I put around where I'm usually at, 7ish, but do check it through, up and down, the knob dial before I call it good.

Put the volume knob where you play it most. Then you can test it out throughout the sweep of the volume knob to see how you like it. You may decide to move the pickup a little to get the tone where you like it through the full knob.

I Do Everything At Volume And I Usually Play Very Loud. That Is The only Way To Really Know What You Are Dealing With. So For Me, Guitar On 10 And Amps Are LOUD!

As Said...Adjust In The Scenario That You Will Be Using.

Back